Lane Splitting on a TW200
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By elime
  • 1 Post By B-dub
  • 1 Post By lizrdbrth

Thread: Lane Splitting on a TW200

Lane Splitting on a TW200

I know this has been beat to death but I haven't seen any lane splitting video with a TW200, not that you can tell it is a TW other than by the sound.

For those that question the legality of it in California the California Highway Patrol has on their website "Lane Splitting General Guidelines".

California Motorcyclist Safety Program

DonBenito likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I enjoyed the video, and I thought the guidelines are reasonable. It was also refreshing to see a government agency say "Every rider has ultimate responsibility for his or her own decision making and safety." rather than trying to legislatively remove every possible risk from our lives.
    DonBenito likes this.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Here on the Right Coast, I think that is illegal in just about every state. Up here in the NY mountains I am pretty sure some yahoo texting on his phone would probably have my legs pasted to his fender.

I don't see any need to legislate any of this but will anyone tell me what the benefit is in doing this maneuver? I don't even know what the ticket would say here, passing on the right or unsafe lane change or failure to keep right ? I know for sure when bikers ride the shoulder or center medium in a traffic jam the law gets right after them, if they can. :-)))))))

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Here on the Right Coast, I think that is illegal in just about every state. Up here in the NY mountains I am pretty sure some yahoo texting on his phone would probably have my legs pasted to his fender.

I don't see any need to legislate any of this but will anyone tell me what the benefit is in doing this maneuver? I don't even know what the ticket would say here, passing on the right or unsafe lane change or failure to keep right ? I know for sure when bikers ride the shoulder or center medium in a traffic jam the law gets right after them, if they can. :-)))))))

GaryL
    Cali is the ONLY state in which it is legal. But a Cali-funded study declaring it a safe practice is being used as the basis for legalizing it in other states. If I'm not mistaken Tennessee is already considering it and other states will likely follow.

For years the nanny-staters have attempted to abolish the practice here but the results of their study kinda blew up in their faces when they discovered that almost no one was dying as a result of lane sharing. In fact it's an effective method for relieving congestion and pollution in urban areas so even the Greenies were on board with it. Thus annointed it'll be here to stay.

It isn't only employed at stoplights or stopsigns. We use it when traffic is rolling so slowly that it's difficult to keep a bike upright, permitting us to make miles of progress while the cagers stand still. We can legally do it anytime the prevailing flow of traffic is well below the posted speed limit.

As with many things in California the "guidelines" aren't an actual matter of law and won't necessarily hold up in court if challenged, they're just a guide for law enforcement.

The practice itself is legal, but you're still subject to other provisions of the law such as excessive speed, driving too fast for conditions (rain), exhibition of speed (jerkweeds doing wheelies between cars) or any other infraction which could occur if you were riding between the lines.

Everyone has their own sense of etiquette and their own level of comfort with it. Some don't/won't employ it at all. But at least we can make that choice .

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 08-17-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    DonBenito likes this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

The Nevada legislature just turned down a bill to allow lane splitting.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post

GaryL
    I think the prohibition against riding on the shoulder or the medians has to do with keeping these areas clear for emergency vehicles.

As far as the benefits of lane splitting? If it had been approved here in AZ last year like it should have been my daily commute would be about 15 minutes shorter each way. Instead, those of us on bikes watch our temperature gauges climb instead of being able to legally take advantage of the ample real estate between the rows of cars that get caught by red lights for multiple cycles.

Do you ever shift lanes before a light because being 3rd or 4th in line is almost always better than being 9th or 10th? In California (and pretty much every other country on Earth) motorcycles get to be 1st in line every time thanks to legal lane-splitting/filtering, which they should be because motorcycles accelerate faster and take up less room than cars.

No one is forcing California motorcyclists to ride between cars, but in my opinion some texting yahoo is always liable to drift into your lane and take you out, so why not let motorcyclists take advantage of the characteristics of their chosen vehicle instead of simply being vulnerable to the liabilities of riding a motorcycle around big heavy cars? I think the point is that by choosing to ride a motorcycle you are assuming additional risk and additional responsibility for your own safety, so why not allow motorcyclists to fully enjoy the opportunities offered by the physics of their vehicle as well?

All of the statistics seem to point to the fact that lane splitting isn't any more dangerous than any other kind of motorcycling, the only reason it's still illegal in most states is that it makes some car drivers "uncomfortable", or jealous!

Lane splitting saves time, gas, and engine damage due to high heat from sitting still in traffic. That's the benefit.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Sponosred Links