Dmv skills test
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Dmv skills test

Smile Dmv skills test

A friend and coworker of mine borrowed my TW Friday to take the motorcycle skills test. He said that the guy giving the test advised that he not use the front brake on such a small motorcycle, because it might flip over. Luckily my friend didn't take this advice, and passed his test. I thought I would share this information in case any of you guys are flipping over at every stop, and can't figure out why.

Thanks for the "heads up". And to think, the examiner could have failed him. Idiots.

Do not use front brakes HA! Yeah I am sure motocross guys only use the rear.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Amazing! Unbelievable! Our tax dollars at work!
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

In Cali unless you rack up a ton of moving violations or let your license lapse there are very few situatons in which you ever have to take the actual DRIVING portion of the test in a lifetime.

I've continuously held a motorcycle endorsement on my license since 1970, and have only ridden the course once. That's right, back in 1970.

But a few years ago I let my endorsement lapse and had to re-test. They have this circle thingy. Actually a circle within a circle, and you have ride the perimeter of the outter circle while staying between the lines in order to pass. Ms. Checklist was late for a nail appointment, it was beginning to rain and her bad hairdo was already beginning to frizz as was her already dubious civil worker's patience and attention spans. I'm no trials rider but there is no way that I can't blow through the Standard California Riding course with less than a 100% score unless they make me do it by braille.

So I finish the course and roll up to Ms. Checklist just as she's indifferently and indignantly scribbling "FAIL" across the "circle thingy" part of my test.

Puzzled and pissed I inquire as to just what in the hell prompted her to fail me. I did everything asked properly and probably in record time so she could go get her hair and nails done, pull the wings off a few flies or whatever she'd rather be doing in order to improve her disposition..

"You kept BOTH wheels between the lines in the circle. Only gotta keep your front wheel between the lines. You failed".

Took me awhile to figure out just what kinda logic was in play here. Apparently someone had told her that at minimum you had to keep the front wheel between the lines and she was gunna roll with that, forever, as if it that were somehow more difficult.. Eventually I got this resolved through a supervisor, but not one word of the illogic of it entered Ms. Checklist's liddle union-addled brain cells and probably hasn't to this day. So don't ride too WELL when taking yer test. lol.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 08-17-2013 at 05:58 PM.
    Dubzha likes this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

rbm
    ^^^^^ Unbelievable... I took the test in NJ 20some years ago and they have since "improved" the test, I'd probably have a hard time passing on the TW let alone my 919.

It was around 1970 California passed the law requiring a motorcycle endorsement and naturally I got busted without it. Long story short when it came to the skills part of the test (they hadn't evolved the state of complexity they are today) the examiner and I went outside to my motorcycle. He then pointed down the street and said "go about half a block, make a u-turn, then come back". I did and I passed. I always look back on the experience as a positive one. Simple, easy, to the point and I got what I wanted.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Mel
    I will not say how long ago, but when I got my first "required" motorcycle endorsement, The examiner asked me if I had a motorcycle. I responded with "yes". He asked if I had ridden it to the location, and I responded "yes". He said that was good enough for him. Endorsement issued!
    Mel
    craig0ry and CoverMe92 like this.

My examiner was impressed with how short the TW stopped. I used a healthy amount of front brake along with the back brake, and miraculously didn't flip over!
    Last edited by B-dub; 08-17-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

I took mine in 1968. It was downtown San Diego and the guy had me drive around the block. He did walk to the end of the driveway and watch me turn right, then waited till I came back around the block and pull in the parking lot, and that was it.

Two years ago I let my license expire by accident and had to go take the written test and driving test all over for both car and bike. Boy, did that suck, I will never let my license expire again.

When I went for the motorcycle driving test, there were about 20 people there that day and one after another they failed the test in front of me. Everyone was so scared that day after seeing everyone fail that no one wanted to be next. To tell you the truth, I just wanted to get it over with and go home and smoke a bowl, so I stepped up to be next. I was on a Harley with forward controls and had to put a foot down for a fraction of a second in manuvering the cones. I lost a few points, but passed just fine. There were only 3 people that day that passed.
    If you ever have to take that test again, take the TW, not the big bike.
    MTLHead and craig0ry like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links