New to me TW200 - observations
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lizrdbrth

Thread: New to me TW200 - observations

New to me TW200 - observations

I just bought a 2010 TW200 after months of lamenting the fact that I could not find a modern version of the old Honda Trail 90 I used for hunting, etc back in the 70's. I wanted a bike to hang on the back of my 4x4 motor home, and the TW200 seemed like the best compromise of what was available. After riding it a bit, I'm beginning to like it a lot. Most of my recent riding experience has been on my BMW R1100R, so I'm not really used to lighter trail bikes. However, the handling is good to me at both higher and lower speeds. Frankly, I have always considered it harder to ride slowly than fast. Many bikes I have tested riding slowly have an annoying tendency for the steering to fall to the inside of a very slow turn, and the TW does not do that. Also, I was able to comfortably accelerate with most traffic. I did a bit of light trail riding and hill climbing without scaring myself, so I consider the bike to be pretty predictable in terms of handling. Both the transmission and the engine seem well matched for the purpose, though it would be nice to have a dual range transmission like my old Trail 90 had. On the other hand, that would increase weight. I was very pleased that the bike was easy to ride two up with my girlfriend on the back. Both the handling and performance were better than I expected.

I live in Alabama, but I will use this bike a lot in the Rocky Mountains so I am concerned about it running too rich at higher altitudes. I noted from a thread on this forum that the version of the TW sold in some countries has a high altitude air bleed knob like my old Honda had. That would be perfect for me as I will be using the bike from sea level at the beach to over 10,000 feet in the Rockies. Does anyone know if it is feasible to buy one of these carbs to put on a US TW200? Thanks, Bob

Gauging by how seldom folks inquire about "what do this red knob do?" that version of the carb would appear to have been confined to a relatively small share of European countries. At least I can't recall any inquiries from Asia, Oz or any market other than Europe.

eBay, EU., maybe?

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 08-19-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    Rimrattle likes this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 08-19-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks. Do you know if this is a high altitude air bleed, a hot/flooded air bleed, both, or what? It may not matter if it is a carb that will not work on my 2010 model. I may not be able to get it anyway and I am still concerned about how the TW will run above 9,000 feet. I really don't mind a loss of power at that altitude, as long as it runs decently. Going slower is better than not going at all. Thanks, Bob

It would help get you "over the hump" much like using partial choke would help you get through a temporary lean condition. However, since our friendly neighborhood EPA has stripped our carbs of all their common sense.....

I think it would be of greater value on a more frequent basis to someone like myself. I live at 4,000 feet but there's nowhere to go but up (8,000+) or down (near sea level) from here. If a "real" carb fell into my lap I'd certainly throw mine in the trash, but I'm not sure the cost-to-benefit warrants the expense of importing one if your home base is 'Bama.

I suspect that for any trip involving more than brief periods at sub-alpine elevations you'll have reached the point where a rejet will be a must, red knob, or not. I'd just rejet for conditons with your existing carb if you only need to for a vacation.

I run the slide carbs so I don't have any jetting experience when it comes to the CV's, but there are a couple of guys who've done the Colorado Rockies on here.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links