How many of you chose the TW for it's frugality?
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GaryL

Thread: How many of you chose the TW for it's frugality?

Question How many of you chose the TW for it's frugality?

What I'm getting at is how many here chose the TW at least partially because it's so simple in design, easy to maintain and frugal on gas? Especially from a minimalist or prepper point of view?

I'm not ashamed to admit that I am a moderate prepper. By that, I mean that I do have some extra food and supplies put up for emergencies and am trying to become debt-free. I also partly choose to live rurally for the advantages it gives you in hard times. But I mostly just love it in the country - I love to hunt, fish, shoot and not have next door neighbors to hassle with. I say moderate because some folks get really wrapped up in it - completely off-grid, etc. I just see trouble ahead and want a hedge.

So, for me, one the reasons I wanted a TW was to have a good, reliable gas-sipping way to get around if things really get bad. A couple of 5 gallon gas cans will allow for 800 or more miles of travel. My Jeep wouldn't get past 180 with that. It would mean a lot to be able to get to town for supplies/groceries or just be able to go visit friends even though gas is $15 gal or whatever...

So, just wondering if that's part of the attraction or if I'm just one of those weirdo preppers lol.
    God is great and beer is good and people are crazy.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub
    2011 Kubota L3200 4x4 with a bucket Hidden Content

Hidden Content

The fact that the TW is one of the least expensive new streetable bikes you can buy is definitely a big part of what piqued my interest, but sitting on a TW at the dealership is what really sold me. I sat on a bunch of other bikes too, but the TW just felt right.

I recently had a similar experience of a R1200RT feeling just perfect, but the price tag on that one isn't quite as reasonable!

As far as the prepping thing goes, the idea some folks have of a global return to the stone age is probably a little misguided, but short term local breakdowns in utilities, supply chains, and even law and order happen from time to time. Setting aside a few resources to ride out such events in safety and comfort seems more responsible than crazy to me.

Suffice it to say that you're definitely not the only T-dubber with a little extra gas, chow, and ammo tucked away!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

That's good to know. People seem reticent to discuss it though I've notice - outside of the prepper forums! I'm a member over at frugal squirrels - it's got membership that runs the gammut of preppers. All good folks though.

I have to admit that the first thing about the TW that attracted me was it's look - the fat tires and compact frame - just spoke to me. And when I finally sat on one - it was exactly what I expected. And after I learned more about them, the simplicity and yes, frugality of the things attracted me even more. Then, watching some youtubes and hearing the engine - that snagged me.

They're just a cool package to me.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I've been out of the bike scene for almost 20 years. Lots of boats and quads but no bikes. My buddy, Bucknutz here, has a few bikes and one is a '95 TW and he wanted me to go ride with him. Just back road stuff to favorite fishing spots and such. It's all his fault! We went, I was able to attach a crate to the Cyclerack and bring my first mate fishing partner, 35 pound Brittany, and it has been all down hill since.
    I found a gorgeous "chick" TW, 1991 with just 675 miles and in showroom condition. There are pics in my first intro post here. The price was right but as with anything I do I lied myself into believing it would be inexpensive. At this point I have we'll over $700 in accessories, upgrades and general maintenance. I play with it more in the garage than ride so far but the best season for riding and fishing is approaching quick and the bike will be dialed in perfect. Just a few more options and I will be ready to run. I guess it will be a day trip adventure machine set up for rural roads and old logging trails. We will be in search of those 5 pound brown trout that hide in the far out deep holes few are willing to walk in to. My fishing boat is lonely but I have more fun on a stream or river with ultralight tackle.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I chose motorcycling in general for Frugality (again). One day in 2008 when the gas prices went whack, it took $80 to fill my Mazda Tribute.....3 days later I bought a 2007 Tee dub with 75 miles on it for $3300....Now that she's got over 6 thousand miles and lots of love poured on her, I wouldn't sell that bike for twice what I bought her for.....As far as the apocalypse? I have a Glock 19, Sig Sauer p226, 3 boxes of 9mm a 12 gauge with a 20" barrel and 2 boxes of shells between me and the zombies

Quote Originally Posted by 5chord View Post
    I chose motorcycling in general for Frugality (again). One day in 2008 when the gas prices went whack, it took $80 to fill my Mazda Tribute.....3 days later I bought a 2007 Tee dub with 75 miles on it for $3300....Now that she's got over 6 thousand miles and lots of love poured on her, I wouldn't sell that bike for twice what I bought her for.....As far as the apocalypse? I have a Glock 19, Sig Sauer p226, 3 boxes of 9mm a 12 gauge with a 20" barrel and 2 boxes of shells between me and the zombies
    Buy more ammo! When the zombies or standard creeps from the city start hitting the rural areas in the apocalypse a box of ammo will buy a lot more than worthless paper dollars!

GaryL
    chris209 and CoverMe92 like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

My wife is into some aspects of this living for the possibility of shortages. We have food and water stored in our basement....... She also packs a "heater"..We own two dubs. Live in the country.. Both of us hate towns.. So I guess we qualify. (o;. OMM.

I remember when the TW first came out and thought at the time it was so funky it was kinda cool. It came out just about the time I stopped riding. Three years ago when I came back to bikes they were all bigger bikes better for my freeway commute. Being a hypermiler sort (the car is a 2003 Honda Insight) there was a place for a more fugal ride for trips closer to home. An Aprilla SR50 scooter was the first frugal flier but I'm just not a scooter guy and the SR50 is a hot blooded tempermental Italian so I got a divorce. This is where the TW came in and it gets as good mileage as the 50cc scooter did!! Plus it is easier to work on, parts are cheaper and many more accessories are available. Gives me a grin every time I ride it.

Ah, few almost preppers lol.

The mpg of the TW is pretty amazing given the decent power and esp the 397 carry capacity.

And yes, the zombie apocalypse calls for an AR, 7 mags and a case of ammo - minimum! lol

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links