Advice Please - TW200 Buy or Not to Buy?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Advice Please - TW200 Buy or Not to Buy?

Senior Member BugSpatteredJacket's Avatar

Advice Please - TW200 Buy or Not to Buy?

Hello,

As I was sitting at my computer the other day going through every conceivable motorcycle based website and looking for a new bike I found myself drifting into uncharted territory for the fun of it; meaning, I wanted to see something other than the typical cookie cutter cruiser motorcycle. So it was just by chance I came across the TW200 on Yamaha's website. It's ridiculously large tires immediately appealed to me as did its retro (albeit unintentional on Yamaha's part I gather after reading through so many pages on the net, including this forum) looks and basics like the speedo. It screams Mad Max in so many ways.

I am looking for something that can act not only as a simple commute but also that will allow me to try heading down a path into the middle of nowhere without worrying if I am going to break the bike or not. I want something out of the ordinary. You get the idea, I am sure. I want a bike that is tough as nails but that is also a fun and easy ride to enjoy. I want a bike that will make me feel the 36 years young and not 36 going on 106! I have been riding for over a decade now, all street bikes (cruisers/roadsters) but have never owned anything remotely close to this. Though, admittedly I have gone off road into the woods with a Yamaha Virago and a Suzuki Intruder in the past. Fun, if not stupid.... did I mention fun?

Really am contemplating this TW200 as a weekend to nowhere kinda ride. More than happy to settle for back roads so long as the engine is bullet proof and I wont find myself having to wrench every five seconds and getting into issues with dealers, etc... I know everyone seems to love this bike but if there is anything I should know in advance, I'd appreciate it. Want to go into this potential relationship with my eyes open. I am hoping this is the bike that can remain in my stable and eventually be given to my son in five years time. It is also something to keep me on two wheels while I save up for my Triumph Scrambler, or Thruxton... or Yamaha Bolt... sigh. So many bikes, so little money!

Thanks for your input. Will certainly help me decide whether I should buy one or not.

Aaaa come on, you know you have already made up your mind.
    And what a good choice it was.
    You will never regret owning a TW.
    Enjoy your new ride!

Mile's O Smile's

It is not the best street bike. It is not the best dirt bike. But it seems to be the best combination of the two that is available to the masses for a reasonable price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Different strokes for different folks. I wanted to slow my life down. I'm a country boy living in a huge city. Some days I feel the walls closing in me. But all I have to do is kick start the old TW, throw on a camelback, and head out of town for a couple hours. Then I'm good as new. The only thing that bothers me about this bike is that I have so many awesome plans now, and such limited funds to carry them out. But it's really challenged me to step up my saving habits so the TW and I can carry out those cross country adventure dreams.

I say you can't go wrong with a bike that not many people know about yet it's been in production since 1987. It's a humble dual sport with a great résumé.
    frog13 likes this.
    1987 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear Rack, Tinman Tim's Side Racks [THANKS!], Action Packer Rear Trunk, Texsport waterproof luggage, 20w LED Spot Beam headlight, LED Bulbs for Rear Brake Light and Dash/Speedo, 12v marine auxiliary port, Coleman Seat Pad, Alloy Boltz kit.

"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." -A. Lincoln

Hidden Content

What you described is a TW. The only deal breaker would be if you had to spend a lot of time on the superslab at 60+ miles per hour. The TW will hit 60 - 65 mph, but if there is much of a headwind or uphill grade it won't maintain it. Otherwise I highly recommend the TW. It's a great bike in so many ways.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    What you described is a TW. The only deal breaker would be if you had to spend a lot of time on the superslab at 60+ miles per hour. The TW will hit 60 - 65 mph, but if there is much of a headwind or uphill grade it won't maintain it. Otherwise I highly recommend the TW. It's a great bike in so many ways.
    B-dub is spot on. I hit the interstate for a while this weekend. 65 mph average, 70+ at times, and I am a big boy. Can it do it? Yep. Is it ideal, nope. I believe, however, that the TW is the most versatile bike you can find. It's really great for back road commuting, running around town, and when you see a road, fire road, trail etc., you no longer have to ask yourself "I wonder where that goes?". You can find out! Great gas mileage, and runs great on good ol' regular. Air cooled motor is simple, time tested, and easy to learn and maintain. Easily customizable to fit your riding style. I'm 36, and we have members in their teens to their seventies on this forum that love the TW for what it is to them. Here is our 'sales pitch' video:

and another good introductory one:

Welcome to the Borg...resistance is futile.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

You'll have to test drive one to really know, but the bike has personality to spare.

It's easy to ride, it's low to the ground, mechanically it is bulletproof, parts are cheap and abundant, it is actually very capable off-road, and I don't know anyone who doesn't like riding it. It isn't fun on the highway, you really won't be able to get the front tire off the ground, and you won't want to jump with it. It's just a great "all-arounder"; it's the most enjoyable toy I've ever had.

Well I will be the renegade, if your commute is really part of the scene and is more than a few miles TW as the only bike is questionable

I don't have one but a dr650 is the usual answer, good on street can be muscled around single track trails
    Really road worth but then really dirt road capable is a Suzi Vstrom 650

There are some $10,000 exotics which do both pretty well but big money

I love the TW for exploring and chasing the boys in the woods

Senior Member BugSpatteredJacket's Avatar
    Thanks for the great input, really do appreciate it. Have been contemplating something like this for years now and have even looked at The SACHS MadASS, Clevelandwerks Tha Heist, and maybe going back to a Royal Enfield. The madass and the heist are 125 and 250 cc respectively but alas, the build quality are shite on them both. I have read nothing but negative reviews regarding their build quality and whilst many love both motorcycles for what they are, even they cannot deny the amount of constant work being needed on them.

As for the Royal Enfield, bought one new back in 2009 but alas, although the build quality has come along way and they tend to use this bike in similar ways as the tw200 back in India...nevertheless they just are not worth the big bucks they are asking for them here in Canada! I no longer have terribly long commutes to work anymore either, so the tw200 does seem to be hitting all the nails on the head! I think there is a 2011 brand new left over stock for sell for $4000 here in Quebec too...so I may take a drive down to see it in person.

Who am I kidding though, you know I will probably buy one! ;-) However, I do plan to change out the headlight for a round one. Saw that the Japanese version of this bikemcomes stock with it and I thimk it just totally changes the look of the front end. Anyways, thaks again!

BSJ. The TW200 is road worthy.The best speeds for your comfort and gas mileage are between 45-55 mph. The bike is quite nimble on the road and almost unstoppable off road (as long as you have your tire pressure at a propper pressure). Depending on your height,the bike is comfortable.The seat for most owners needs improvement,but is liveable. You can place risers on for the handlebars if needed (a company called pro-cycle sells several items for the TW200) so the bars are raised to improve riding position. Have fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links