Considering a tw200
Close

Considering a tw200

Actually I am thinking of buying 2 used tw200 for me and my wife to do some off roading both locally here in Ontario and around Moab Utah where we often go on vocation. We have 2 Buell Ulysses for paved roads so the tw200 will be only for off road and I am planning to gear them as low as possible (I have a truck to haul them out to the trails so there won't be any need to go on the highway)

I hear that stock gearing is 14/55 - what is the lowest acceptable low gearing that works without changing the chain?

Common sense tells me to buy used - they go for around 2.5k around here (5-8 years old with around 5-10k miles on them) while new 2013's are $4,600, so I can basically get 2 used ones for the price of a new one). I am a bit afraid to get a bike that has been abused though - are they really as bulletproof as people say?

Thank you for reading and replying

-----------------
    sent from mobile device so don't take typos and bad grammar personally

a Japanese guy rode to the north and south pole on a TW. Is that bulletproof enough?

Some members report to be running 70t rear sprockets. How low can you go? 14/50 is the stock gearing, 14/55 is a trail-favored DS gearing.

If you're changing the sprockets you're gonna want to change the chain too, so you might as well upgrade to O-ring while you have the sidecover off. The stock chain is an open chain that wears both itself and the sprockets out pretty quickly.

TWs are tough, but they're not invincible. I was taught that buying a used vehicle is just paying for the privilege to take on someone else's problem, but with the knowledge on this forum most TW problems are easily fixed. Do some reading on what to look for and then, Caveat Emptor.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

As DonBenito mentioned, stock gearing is 14/50. I run a rear dual sprocket 14/50-14/55 setup developed by other forum members. In order to run the 55T, I had to add links. Stock is 122 links I think and I have 126. 14/55 does a pretty decent job on some fairly steep trails.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thanks for replies_

I would go as low as possible as far as gearing goes. The bike(s) will see very little Highway if any. 70 rear sounds nice. Can you put 13 (or may be even 12?) In the front?

How do you guys go about adjusting the chain? Get an o ring 155 links and just cut links out?

Thanks

-----------------
    sent from mobile device so don't take typos and bad grammar personally
    Last edited by Yan; 08-28-2013 at 09:11 AM.

A fella I rode with in late March has a 13/55 setup, so that works.

Even for my setup, I replaced my original chain with an o-ring. I don't remember the exact links it came with, but I had to cut it. RonneyDog here on the forum runs a 70T I believe. Top speed 35 mph.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Yan,

Go read the sticky dual sprocket thread, there are some good guidelines there on number of links vs. teeth. I run a 13 front/50/55 rear with 126 links. A 13/55 setup is the same as 14/59. Going to a 13 up front means you don't have to get quite as large a rear with it's increased chance of rock damage, and may still be able to keep the chain guard in place. A 13 is as small as you can go up front.

I found the 13/55 setup ideal for anything but insanely rough trails, and you can still go 55 wound out on pavement or smooth dirt.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I just got a new one and love it. I am just fine with the gearing as-is. I would suggest giving it a test run before making any changes in that regard.
    God is great and beer is good and people are crazy.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub
    2011 Kubota L3200 4x4 with a bucket Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links