1990 Yamaha TW200, $1,500 Your Thoughts?!?!
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 1990 Yamaha TW200, $1,500 Your Thoughts?!?!

Senior Member BugSpatteredJacket's Avatar

1990 Yamaha TW200, $1,500 Your Thoughts?!?!

Good Evening,

Well, I found a potential bike but need your opinion! Just to start, these bloody bikes are hard to find second hand here in Quebec, damn well next to impossible frankly! The one's that I do find are just too expensive (nearly four grand) given that new they are $5800 including taxes. Did I mention that the majority of the second hand one's are also in every other part of Canada other than Quebec! So before I even continue, is the price reasonable that is being asked for this bike?

So, this came up suddenly and the info is as follows:

SPECIFICATIONS
    Status Used
    Year 1990
    Make Yamaha
    Model TW200
    Kilometers 28,643 km
    Stock Number 28143
    Mfg Exterior Colour TURQUOISE
    Exterior Colour TURQUOISE

Thanks to garethllewelyn post on Amazing Japanese Parts site post I can pick and choose some nice options to bring the bike back to new looking condition cosmetically. However, never having purchased a dual sport before and not knowing much about the engine itself, I am hoping you can all give me some tips on what I should be looking out for mechanically when I go check the bike out!?!?

Are there any tell tale signs that I should watch out for? Being a 1990 I see it has the kick starter which, I am thankful for as I like having one. Out of curiosity, what would it take and cost (I'd do the work myself) to rebuild the engine to new again? Anyone have any experience doing this themselves? I doubt it needs it but given the mileage and year I want to be prepared just in case.

Furthermore, any advice on the type of paint I should use to repaint the engine black (prep, etc..) would also be helpful. This is going to be a project for the winter and something that I feel quite excited over! To give you an idea, our license plate for this engine size displacement here is $350+ per year...UNLESS it is over 20 years old. Being the latter, the plates will be "classic" at $90.00 a year which means more money for customizing and making my own.

Anyways, I plan to call the shop tomorrow. Unless anyone here voices any real concerns, if I can haggle the price down a bit I just might end up being a new T-dub owner!! Wish me luck!

20110623080832389_33aca61d7b72413aa00480a7b88bbf2e5-orig (1).jpg

20110623080832389_c57aab72113544a992389a3b1f39ba934-orig.jpg

Where in PQ are you?
    Someone just sold a 2009 here for 2k. I was going to post the ad for you to check out, but it vanished today.

Quote Originally Posted by manotickmike View Post
    Where in PQ are you?
    Someone just sold a 2009 here for 2k. I was going to post the ad for you to check out, but it vanished today.
    AH, how I HATE motorcycle dealerships in Quebec... everything here is so smurfing expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I now live in Sherbrooke but am originally from Montreal. Thanks for the reality check!! Think I'll call them up and offer them a low amount and see if they will take it....providing its still for sale and they are desperate to clear their inventory prior to snowfall.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Lower Hudson River Valley of The Communist State of N.Y.
    I grew up a bit south of you in northern NYS. ( Plattsburgh ) While TW 200 s do go fast, that one would be overpriced around me. ( mainly because of the number of Kilometers on it ) Around NY State, an older bike like that one can usually be found for a couple of hundred $ less, usually with 6 to 10,000 miles on it. They do go quickly, though. My friend Gary L and I have bought 3 in the last 1.5 years, from $400 to $1400. (referring to private party sales ) We are still looking for others. Good luck, Dave

I thought of picking one up from the states, and would consider it if the price was as low as the ones you found... Otherwise it would just be too expensive to do it. Do you have any for sell? Would like to buy one that is at least twenty years old but with a good engine in it. Plastics, etc... Can be easily replaced apparently. Food for thought. Thanks for heads up.

Lower Hudson River Valley of The Communist State of N.Y.
    I made the mistake of flipping the first one for a $500 profit, and have regretted it since. The one for $400 kind of dropped in my lap, and needed some work, but she runs fine now and looks a lot better in rattle can bed liner. I may sell her at some point, if / when I get another. She now has 13333 miles on her. I'll keep my eyes out for one 1993 or older, right?

Yeah, 1994 even as we are nearing 2014. As mentioned above, I can plate the bike as a classic for $90 a year if its twenty years old. I might consider something younger and more expensive if its in pristine condition and requires nothing. For the right second hand bike, that is.

Thanks!

I wound up paying 1300 for Diane's '91, and it needed a bit of attention. Seat cover, side covers, air box cover, and a LOT of hours to get it running right and reliable. Worth every cent in rider confidence.
    They don't come up often, so you gotta be quick. The only ones I see for sale are bikes people buy as commuters, then realize they'd like something with passing power, often they have street tires on them. Factor in the price of tires.

Quote Originally Posted by manotickmike View Post
    I wound up paying 1300 for Diane's '91, and it needed a bit of attention. Seat cover, side covers, air box cover, and a LOT of hours to get it running right and reliable. Worth every cent in rider confidence.
    They don't come up often, so you gotta be quick. The only ones I see for sale are bikes people buy as commuters, then realize they'd like something with passing power, often they have street tires on them. Factor in the price of tires.
    Well, just off the phone. Apparently the dealership selling it knows the bike well as its one of their own mechanics who is trying to sell! Original owner too apparently. So it has all its papers in order and is very clean. Will even get a warranty of one month with it which is interesting, might pick it up and ride it home (three or four hour trip easily) which should show me right away if it needs anything major. I'll take the back roads of course.

UPDATE: BOUGHT IT! Now time for the refit and new plastics!!!!!
    Last edited by BugSpatteredJacket; 08-30-2013 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BugSpatteredJacket View Post

UPDATE: BOUGHT IT! Now time for the refit and new plastics!!!!!
    Congratulations!

Let's see some pictures, and keep us posted on your mods.

Brian

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links