BUCKET LIST- Yamaha TW verses Harley Davidson
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: BUCKET LIST- Yamaha TW verses Harley Davidson

BUCKET LIST- Yamaha TW verses Harley Davidson

I am now 66 and after several years fighting major health problems I started a bucket list - you know things you have to do or have before the plant you...or in my case incinerate!!!

So I have my new TW and thought a man should have a Harley between his legs before he dies. Soooo this past week I went our and rode several Sportsters - not into driving a tank like cruiser style the Sportster seemed doable.

So here is the Harley report:

They have a very authoritive exhaust and throb nicely
    They are like jewelry with enough chrome to dazzle any eye
    They come in gorgeous colors
    They might improve you bad boy image
    You can wear a Durag and not have people run and hide thinking you are a gangster
    You can feel like a "Rebel" on your ride
    You can fantasize that young girls still want you since you are a "Biker"

OK so Harleys are cool - what I was not prepared for is that the Sportster rides like a buckboard and that big two lung motor vibrates like hell. It feels like I was driving a tank with hundred pound handlebars and the sound would make my neighbors hate me.

Gravely disappointed I threw all my Harley research into the garage - erased my links and thought I might as well go for a ride on the TW since it was too early to get drunk or jump my wife.

As I putted down the street headed for the desert I noticed my TW was really nimble and fun....then I noticed even with the DG exhaust it was not obnoxious. I rode a few whoops and thought about how bone jarring that Harley would have been.

When I came back I rode around the hood for a while and lamented I was not feeling cool like a Harley under my butt would make me...but I was still smiling that my little 200cc steed takes me on adventures and smoothes out bumps WAY better than the Harley.

I am not sure but when I closed the door on the garage with the TW put away it was either smiling or smirking that it had beat out a Harley!!!

Rik
    Braden, JKWheelin, winks and 5 others like this.

I have had 20-some bikes and am close to your age. never had much of an interest in the Hardly... 'er Harleys. I don't think most harley riders are "cool", for my "bad-boy" image bike I rode a yamaha V-max which I recently had 2 of. If you want something that rumbles, is a cruiser that will out-perform most Harleys and will be less trouble and cost much less why not get a Japanese cruiser? Unless you see some "mystique" in the Harley name or something which I will never understand... I think the mistique is a mistake. I have the TW plus at 2003 Suzuki VS1400 which has as much chrome, sounds as "good" (too loud for me really) and handles better than most Harleys and can get air with just a twist of the throttle without touching the clutch... paid about $4000. If this link works it's a video of it last summer. I actually feel like a bit of a rebel on the TW

Summer2013 (1)CROP.JPG

Two different animals for sure. At least you got to ride one. Yes, everyone should before they kick the bucket. They are unique bikes and I love mine, but know I can't ride it forever with health problems and getting older. When I can no longer ride my HD as a bike, I will turn it into a trike or add a sidecar most likely. If you think the ones you rode vibrated a lot, you should have tried them before the engines were rubber mounted. I am sure you have seen the old Harley riders who always had a cresent wrench hanging from their keys or side. Older HD's were notorious for vibrating things loose.
    For us older folks, the TW can extend our riding years quite a bit. As long as I can get my leg over the TW seat, I'll always have one.

Thanks, I enjoyed your post!
    Mel likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm in WI and its Harley's 110th anniversary. So to say I am sick of seing Harleys lol. Most of them give me dirty looks on my TW anyways. We had an eight mile long parade on Wed, talk about loud!
    littletommy likes this.

Mel
    I have told my friends for many years that I ride the other "H" name instead of a Harley, because I enjoy riding, not running wrenches. When I grew up Harleys were called "one way" bikes, because you rode them out, and pushed them home. It never mattered to me what was under me. I rode to enjoy the experience of feeling the air, the temperature changes, the open vision around you, and of course, the sexist part of having a lady tight up behind you in the second seat. Its all good!!! I do find a lot of pleasure of riding my TW200's because of the simplicity and forgiveness it offers. I too, will ride until I can no longer get my leg over the seat.
    Mel
    littletommy likes this.

I went for a ride with friend a who owns several cool bikes. A Honda RC30, a Ducati Monster that has been punched out, cammed and whatever else you can do with them, and a Sportster. We did Ortega Hwy with Dan Gurney and his buddies. I rode the Sportser. We stopped at the Outlook at the top and everybody swapped bikes. I grabbed the Ducati. The Sportster just sat there, with no one wanting to ride it.

Harley-Davidson - Converting gasoline into noise for over one hundred years!

(I like Harleys, and have owned 4 of them, but usually can't wait to get rid of them)
    littletommy likes this.

Great post and precisely matches my feeling about the "Kings of the Roads". I really do love Harley's.

I also was the GM at a very big Honda/ Kawasaki/KTM shop. We got a few real nice Hogs traded in for our bikes and I had. My pick when ever I wanted.
    I never was a big fan of the open road and never honestly got in to the cruising mentality on big bikes. I did however put a few miles on Gold Wings and could have had one of them for rock bottom prices.

No contest here and the Gold Wing wins in absolutely every category over any Harley ever made. Kawasaki had a few nice cruisers back then that would also have been my choice over the Hogs. Coming from my aircraft mechanics background during Vietnam we had to safety wire every nut and fastener on the choppers because of vibration and I can't understand how a Harley can possibly hold itself together. The few times I have put a few miles on the Harley's I remember a warm and fuzzy, almost numb, feeling on my rear and thighs for a good while after I got off.

It is a "Statement" and I highly doubt any one buys a big Harley if they plan on any sort of 2 Up road tripping. I could ride a Gold Wing in comfort until my bladder says stop but the same trip would require many pit stops on a Hog.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Lower Hudson River Valley of The Communist State of N.Y.
    I have never had the urge to own, let alone ride a Harley. They are just not my style. What I can do without is the attitude that I get from many Harley riders. ( like you are somehow inferior because you are riding a bike that isn't a Harley ) I have had co- workers ask when am I going to get a " real " bike? I laughed them off and said that I already have several, and none of them are Harleys. It does not matter if I was on my Honda, Triumph, Yamaha, or Suzuki. For the life of me, I can't see why some are so snobbish when all but one of my bikes ( guess which ) will smoke them in most every category. ( they got me in the noise category for sure) The way I see it, we all share something in common, that feeling of adventure and freedom experienced while we ride. I still wave to the Harley riders anyway. ( probably 2/3 wave back ) I don't count the ape hangers, because a wave back could be a disaster in the making. Rubber side down, Dave

Yeah some of them do have attitudes for sure. I can't understand that either. I feel the same way you do, that we all share something in common. I ride one and there are lots of them that don't even wave to other Harley riders. (mostly the bad boy riders/gangs) I wave to any rider I go by, wether it be a Harley, a crotch rocket, a scooter or a moped. It does surprise some of the guys on the scooters or mopeds though, that a big ol guy on a Harley waved at them.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links