MPG not so good during break-in...
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MPG not so good during break-in...

I was on the way back from my buddy's house this evening and the bike suddenly stopped running... luckily, nobody was behind me and I was able to just reach down and rotate the gas valve to reserve and it came back on line.

I got 93 miles on the main tank. Not so good... 66 MPG by my calculations if it was 1.4 gal, but then, I am breaking the thing in - varying the speed/RPMs and not running low RPM's. So I guess this really reduces the fuel efficiency.

What have you found with your TW during break-in? Was it the same for you?
    Last edited by OSOK; 09-01-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    God is great and beer is good and people are crazy.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub
    2011 Kubota L3200 4x4 with a bucket Hidden Content

Hidden Content

93 miles, 149km. Sounds like what I've been getting. Its usually between 150-155km that I'll have to go into reserve. If I'm strictly using out on highways going 80-90km/h I'll only get 130km before having to go into the reserve.

My carb could probably be played around with. To me they're witchcraft though so I'd need someone else to take a look at it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

When I got mine the first full tank got me almost 140 miles...the 2nd full tank...it went dead at 83miles and I had to switch to reserve. I've got a little over 1,000 miles on it now...and i'm back up to 72 or 73 mpg. So yeah during break in the same thing happened to me OSOK.

Lance
    2013 TW200

2003 TW200 (Wife's Bike)

2013 Ultra Classic Limited

2008 Street Glide

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

140 miles, 225km. That sound's amazing. How do I get there... Hmph.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Fuel economy can only really be determined in a controlled setting such as the same ride daily over a few weeks on a regular commute. The way most of us ride our bikes in all sorts of varied conditions pretty much blows accuracy out unless you keep track for an over all average.

I know if I am cruising around on secondary roads and at an average of 45-55 MPH then I will hit the reserve at around 80 miles almost every time if the tank was topped off from the start. I haven't really spent that much time on old logging roads and trails just putting along to get an idea of how many miles I get at low RPM running. I do think your mileage will get better as the break in progresses.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Ah good to hear guys. I guess 66 isn't really that bad considering the way I'm working the engine - and the fact that it's still wearing-in. I now at the point - 240 miles that I'm doing the second oil change/filter clean. I'm sure when I start using synthetic oil that I'll see a small improvement from that too (?).

I see why folks go to the trouble of getting the bigger tanks.... you'd think that Yamaha would be listening to their customers and increasing the size of the tank, making the foot pegs bigger, etc. I guess they don't see the profit in changing something that is selling steady but not at high velocity. Can't blame them. I'm just glad they're still making them!

What a great bike!

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub

Hidden Content

My closest fuel is at home so I keep good track of my odometer and I know right around 80 miles is where I hit the reserve. Being a cheapskate of sorts I found a decent solution when needed. Home Depot and Lowes and probably most small engine shops are now carrying pre mixed True Fuel in quart containers. I use it in my chain saws and other small engines. I save the containers that happen to be quite nice and I fill them with straight gas. I figure a quart should get me about 20 miles if I ever get caught short while out playing and fishing.
    I do wish I could get true fuel, real ethanol free gas around here but then I am in the Communist State of NY. The next time I get up near Vermont or NH, both Free States, I plan to bring a few 5 gallon fuel jugs and buy some real gas for the T dub. I will bet my mileage might go up to closer to 90 miles before the reserve is hit.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I m getting great mileage. The last few fill ups I had 86 on odometer and still put in only $3.04 to $3.05 each time, gas is $3.58 here.

GaryL, sounds like your Tdub needs some attention? Or are you riding it such that the MPG is lower? Mine's brand new and still in break-in and getting to 93 miles before needing the reserve...

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by OSOK View Post
    GaryL, sounds like your Tdub needs some attention? Or are you riding it such that the MPG is lower? Mine's brand new and still in break-in and getting to 93 miles before needing the reserve...
    Mine is a 1991 and just barely broken in with 800 miles. My carb has some BS after market kit in it from the PO but new OEM parts will be here tomorrow. How many miles one gets on a tank of fuel is completely dependent upon the riding you do. Start and stop, lots of hills and a decent amount of 50-60 MPH hilly roads is what I am doing.

Lets face the facts, if we had a 1 mile oval track and set the bike at a constant speed, 30, 40 or 50 MPH this would be a better indication of true mileage. Around here where I am going up one side of a mountain and down the other and varying speeds with starts and stops plus playing around with some wide open throttle every now and then is not an accurate measure of fuel economy. It is however what I do and how I ride so when I say I get around 80 miles when the reserve is needed, this is all mine and your mileage may vary. I am about 180 pounds and I always carry around 50 pounds behind me on the rack. My wife's SUV has a computer and she regularly gets around 25 MPG when she drives a long distance. When I drive her car on the same long distance run it goes down to around 24 MPG because I drive a bit faster and my take offs are always a bit quicker.

I guess the only way to know would be to have 2 T Dubs riding the same trails at the same speeds and with the same loads. One might do a little better in the economy department but it should not be all that different if both bikes are properly tuned and running right. Me and Bucknutz will be doing exactly this once we both get our carbs just right and start hitting some nice fishing holes this fall. He has '95 and I have a '91 and we just need to get them tuned right and adjust the weights to close.

GaryL
    Last edited by GaryL; 09-03-2013 at 06:59 AM. Reason: add info

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links