New Rider and TW owner
Close

New Rider and TW owner

Just bought me a new 2013 TW on Friday(3 days ago). I was making a BIG purchase, and my experience on a motorcycle was absolute zero But I've raced BMX and mountain biked so I knew I could handle 2 wheels. 4 of the 5 vehicles I've owned had standard transmissions, so I was confident I'd pick up the shifting pretty quick. I rode it Saturday around my parent's huge yard to practice, and was quickly starting on and climbing hills. My friends(850 Sportsman and 900 Rzr) and I had planned for a couple weeks on heading to the Ouachita National Forest on Sunday, and I felt I was ready to take my TW this time. We hauled it in his truck to get there of course, I'm not ready for 4,000 lb missiles around me yet. We rode the forest service roads around the mountains, which were a hard packed gravel. I definitely had to get used to taking turns much slower as my rear wheel would slide very easily. We road some rough side trails, some very steep. I loved how slow I was able to go and have my feet out to the side as outriggers to keep my balance, while the fat rear tire dug in and pushed me up the mountain. These were the biggest reasons I fell in love with the TW over the past few months reading about it across the interwebz.

We watched a small storm roll in from one of the mountain tops

I did take a spill around a gravel turn at the end of the day, scraped up my left arm some, but was mostly worried about my new bike. The shifter was bent up and had to limp back to the truck in 1st. Luckily all it took was a pipe to bend it back out when we got home, good as new

At the end of the day, I loved every bit of it. I want to head back out today, sore left side and all
    2013 TW 200

2014.5 KLR 650

2009 Hummer H3T Adventure 5speed

the first things I can think of that I want to add on is: a switch to turn the headlight off when I don't need it, and a rear rack.
    2013 TW 200

2014.5 KLR 650

Congrats and welcome to the board!! You're going to love the TW the more you ride it. It's fun on the road too! I find that the fact that the TW's acceleration is similar to a car's is a good thing on the road - makes it easy to ride with traffic. I keep to the state highways and local roads myself.

You didn't mention anything about break-in. You may want to check-out the threads on here about that. The first miles are the most critical but it sounds like you did fine riding off-road and varying your RPM's, etc. I would council an immediate oil change and filter clean right now - you will find metal in the oil and small shavings on the filter.

I'm currently at 240 miles and ready to change the oil/clean filter for the second time. You will find that the recommendation during break-in is for regular 10-40 oil.

Being able to turn the lights off would be nice - though, I haven't found it an issue yet...

I chose a GMax full face helmet and like it a lot.

Looking forward to your future posts! Great pics!
    God is great and beer is good and people are crazy.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub
    2011 Kubota L3200 4x4 with a bucket Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely do that before my next trip considering how dusty the bike got. It has 65 miles on it, 55 from Sunday's trip. The dealer, who wasn't a fan of the TW, only mentioned not going above 1/3 throttle and varying the rpms when telling me about the break-in period. I have a Speed and Strength dual sport on the way

speedand_strength_ss2500_solid_speed_helmet_silver_zoom.jpg
    2013 TW 200

2014.5 KLR 650

Well, there are differing opinions on break-in. I'm following the ride it hard theory myself - but not going above about 3/4 throttle. I road again today - over 300 miles now... got to change that oil again!

Nice helmet!
    God is great and beer is good and people are crazy.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub
    2011 Kubota L3200 4x4 with a bucket Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links