looking for suggestions and routes for out West trip....
Close

looking for suggestions and routes for out West trip....

Not having any friends with the passions we have I am turning to the friends here on the forum...My wife and I are planning a trip to go out West from Florida next year.

We will be traveling with a Dodge dully and a' Slide in' Camper' truck camper (TC). and will be pulling a small box trailer with our two TW's and my Vstrom. We will have around three weeks to do this trip and be back.

Having no idea what to look for or expect, here are thoughts and 'wish list'

1. We would like travel Route 66 (she says its a must)...coming from Florida where would be a good area to get on Route 66?

2, We would rather not stay in Camp grounds, but would rather boondock on BLM land and parks.

3, Of course we want to travel through areas where we can park and take off on the TW's or the Vstrom to see the sights and remote areas, driving the truck as little as possible... Where are good areas, parks, forest etc. to do this??

4, And any general ideas as to a route of travel considering the time limitations...we would like to avoid the Tourist traps,,,,but want to see and FEEL the real thing. Scenic views and good time riding is what we seek

So all you guys who are familiar with the areas feel free to offer suggestions...Sorry I cant be more specific as where we are going, thats what I am looking for, as other than the deep SW Texas area I have never been anywhere out there.

thanks..

Your adventure sounds fun. I live in Idaho and so this type of adventure is what my life is all about. I am retired and so I can plan my trips to match the happening in the areas I want to explore.
    An example is that we are headed to the Oregon coast this coming week. Being as how schools are back in session, the beaches and highways will be less crowded.
    Last spring a TW buddy and I went to southern Utah. We rode in the St. George and Moab area and did it before the heat of summer had started.

I could share some neat places on your trip which are weather and time of year dependent. So, if you know about when your adventure will start, let us know.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

Oh...sorry....thats another thing I forgot to mention...we are fairly open as to when to go...but we were thinking March/April (if thats a good time?)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Well, I loved southern Utah, and southern Colorado, as well as northern Arizona. There are lots of places to visit that are relatively close together by western standards. At the time you are planning to visit, southern Utah with its five national parks would be good. The higher locations in Colorado will usually have considerable snow in March and April, and some of the passes will be closed. You could easily spend three weeks in southern Utah and northern Arizona.

You are not really going to be able to travel on Route 66 as it no longer exists most places. However, there are numerous towns that preserved historic sections of it. In Arizona you may want to visit Winslow, Flagstaff, and Williams, for example. You might do well to structure your trip around the many national parks in the area mentioned as there is really no other area where you will find more parks as close together, and most of them are spectacular. There are also lots of national monuments in the region. The scenery will make you think you are traveling through an old John Wayne movie.

Have a great trip,

Bob

I agree with what Bob has to say. Southern Utah is a hoot that time of year. Arizona and parts of Colorado are also beautiful that time of year. There is all kinds of back country to camp in. There are several books available regarding trails in those areas. If you look for books about ATV Trails you can't go wrong.

Amazon.com: utah atv trails

This search provides several go resources.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

"Route 66" + March/April + your wish list definitely = Northern Arizona/Southern Utah. And a swing through my state of Colorado in one or both directions also works.

Quote Originally Posted by Roninboise View Post
    An example is that we are headed to the Oregon coast this coming week.
    Are you riding or bringing your bike? Which part of the coast are you headed towards?

Quote Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
    1. We would like travel Route 66 (she says its a must)...coming from Florida where would be a good area to get on Route 66?

2, We would rather not stay in Camp grounds, but would rather boondock on BLM land and parks....

thanks..
    Actually, there ARE significant sections of old Route 66 still in use as secondary highways, and other sections that have returned to dirt and broken pavement, ideal for a TW. Searching for "finding route 66" or "existing sections of Route 66" should get you started.

A site I use all the time for my trips into new territory is Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds

Although you say you don't want to use campgrounds, you may be very pleasantly surprised by some of the NF camping out here. This site is a gem because it has info found nowhere in the official guides, such as privacy, shade, road and parking info, elevation, etc. I use it to scope out the kind of CG I prefer: small, quiet, shady, off the beaten path. These folks are in the process of actually visiting ALL of the thousands of National Forest CGs in the West! You might look up a CG you are familiar with to see if their info jibes with your actual experience. I have found them to be very accurate and I usually choose several campgrounds on a trip based on their info.

There are humongous amounts of free Forest and BLM camping all through NM, AZ, UT and even CA. All you have to do is research specific ranger districts and maybe make a few phone calls. Usually just getting off the secondary highways a few miles on Government land will produce a spot. Google Earth is a great way to decide whether X or Y area might be better camping in a specific region. Shade is a real priority out here!!!!

Have Fun!!!
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I could go on and on, but considering where you will be driving, I can say, definitely do not avoid southern Utah. Check out Moab and as much of the Canyonlands as you can. It is awesome! A drive across hwy 50 in NV will always entertain, and if you can stop and see Great Basin National Park it is also worthwhile.

Bart

Off the top of my head I would suggest leaving the first week of May and driving Route 66 on the way out. That way you could beat the crowds and the worst of the heat, yet be late enough you could loop back around and pick up the Colorado Rockies on the way back. Places to see include Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon. Route 12 east from Bryce is also very scenic. The Moab area is a great place to ride the TW's. Mesa Verde is cool, lots of Indian Ruins. Telluride. I really enjoyed riding the Durango-Silverton steam train years ago. Yosemite and Yellowstone are also worth seeing, I just don't know that you would have enough time to make that big of a loop. I would encourage you to spend some time in the Trails forum reading through the ride reports. One of our forum members rode some of the passes in the Rockies. Some have also rode the Moab area. A couple rode Route 66 in the SoCal/Arizona area. A member recently rode the Pacific coast highway from Canada to Mexico. There's more, but that would give you a little better idea of what you're looking at.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Sponosred Links