What kind of helmet do you wear?
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What kind of helmet do you wear?

Question What kind of helmet do you wear?

I'm just curious as to what types of helmets TW riders use.

I just assumed that a full-face helmet was the thing. But I wonder what others choose?

Here's a pic of mine:

As you can see, a GMax. I like it because it's not too heavy, the chin piece flips up to allow easy on-off (I wear glasses) and the venting seems to work pretty well. It was also reasonably priced at $179 list. The dealer threw this in with my purchase, so I don't know what it'd actually sell for if I pushed...

It also has a red led light on the back which is a safety feature for night riding I guess - three settings - on, flashing slow, flashing fast.

So what's your pick?
    God is great and beer is good and people are crazy.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub
    2011 Kubota L3200 4x4 with a bucket Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I use an Aria shorty helmet when out for a cruise on mostly paved and gravel roads. It has zip off sides for when it is hot. I use an old trusty Bell Moto 4 MX helmet when out on single tracks or when it is cold out.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

Is a shorty a "bowl" type with leather ear flaps? I'm pretty sure what the Moto looks like.
    God is great and beer is good and people are crazy.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub
    2011 Kubota L3200 4x4 with a bucket Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I am in the market for a new one now. My old HJC Full face worked great in the RZR but when I get up to around 50 MPH on the TW it sounds like I am in a wind turbine. I am sure newer helmets of higher quality should be much quieter inside when running at speed. I want to add a communication radio for when me and Bucknutz go together beating the trails but my old helmet would be useless with all the noise.

How is your Gmax for noise? I like the idea of the flip up face because I too wear glasses, just need them so I can see but they are tuff to take on and off from flipping up just the shield.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

GMAX GM11D Dual Sport Motorcycle Helmet - Flat Black Large - 72-7001L : Amazon.com : Automotive

Gmax dual sport helmet. Just like the Tdub it's very versatile. Ride with the shield up or down. The visor can also be taken off with caps put on the sides to give it a more standard street style look. Super comfortable right out of the box. Decent ventilation and great price.
    1991 TW200: Jimbo windshield, oversized foot pegs, quick release seat bolts, Tusk D-Flex hand guards, Yamaha luggage rack, Emgo trunk, 2 storage tubes, Bridgestone TW203/204 tires, LED taillight.

What about the wind noise with either of those Gmax. I like the idea of the chin piece flipping independent of the shields which would also flip. Wish I knew OSOKs model number? And again, WHAT about the noise. I have tinnitus real bad and the wind noise drives me nuts if the helmet is not aerodynamically designed to take wind noise into account, streamlined to be quiet.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

To me the wind noise isn't bad, but I don't think I am too picky. It is better with the visor removed obviously especially at high speeds. When I got mine I looked at ones with the flip up chins as well as ones with the built in flip down sunglasses. When it all came down to it I liked the rigid simple design the best. Less to break/move/go wrong. The built in sunglasses are OK but to me it could never be as good as my Oakley flak jackets hugging my face.

I thought for under $100 and with good reviews it was worth a shot and I haven't been disappointed but again its one of those things that is so much personal preference.
    1991 TW200: Jimbo windshield, oversized foot pegs, quick release seat bolts, Tusk D-Flex hand guards, Yamaha luggage rack, Emgo trunk, 2 storage tubes, Bridgestone TW203/204 tires, LED taillight.

I ride with a kbc tk-77. Hooked up a bluetooth setup. Riding the hills and listening to pantera.
    F r e a k i n g a w e s o m e.

I have a wall of helmets but I have two main street and two main dirt helmets. For street I use an HJC CL-16 shock or the Shoei X-12. For dirt I use my Fox V2 or my Bell moto9 stunt helmet. My fiancee has the same HJC I have in another color along with an Oneal offroad helmet. Then there are two dirt helmets and two street helmets for guests, HJC and KBC. I have thrown away a couple others that took some hard hits. Don't get me started on all the gear I have...
    Last edited by PalmStateCrawler; 09-05-2013 at 10:36 PM.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

I use the Gmax modular also. For all the vents it has it is very quiet. When they are all open its a little loud but for all the air I get on a hot day it doesn't bother me. Still more quiet than my last helmet. Got mine for $116 and its well worth it at that price.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links