Thinking about buying.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Thinking about buying.

Thinking about buying.

I came across what I think is a good deal on a TW200 and would like to get it as a commuter/fun bike. The main reason is for commuting though. My concern is, can it handle about 20 miles a day of about 65mph riding?

The TW200 would not be my first choice in this kind of riding.

Without question, the bike will be able to handle this commute.

65mph is about the upper limit for the TW and is also about the upper limit for my comfort level. 20 miles of freeway driving at 65mph is not fun for me. The TW's sweet spot for me is at about 45-50mph.

Whatever the TW lacks in top end is more than made up for in the fun factor at lower speeds and off-road capability.

Brian

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

How big of a difference would it be to regear one tooth up front and two teeth down rear.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JEOD View Post
    How big of a difference would it be to regear one tooth up front and two teeth down rear.
    Thanks
    Depends on the roads you will be riding. If all your riding will be on level roads, you may pick up a few more mph's and drop a few rpm's so the bike will not be quite so buzzy. If you have any long or steep grades you would find yourself having to drop down into 4th to maintain your headway. The TW only has about 13 or 14 horsepower.

I dropped my rear sprocket to 47 about 7,000 miles ago and only had a few issues............ We took the bikes out east this spring and found out why people have bigger gears in the back.......... At steeper climbs we needed to use 3rd gear............... Other than that trip we just love our 47t sprockets............... Everything is less buzzy and we can use first gear much better on take offs.... It will go 72 on my GPS wide open, but I wouldn't run it there all day.. 55 is a sweet spot... Good luck. OMM

my bike as well as my buddy's whom is not a member in this site both run a 15/47 as opposed to the stock 14/50 (i believe I'm correct anyways), you will slightly lose power from your lower gears, but i can still climb mountains and go offroad in higher gears. we got noticably better top end, and the rpm's are significantly lowered. i would NOT recommend more of a change than that though, maxed out on the throttle they go 75, and the motor does not seem to be redlining, but the engines have no more horsepower, so if they were geared higher it would do more harm than good for your torque and speed. as long as you know how to ride you can take a bike with modified gearing ratio (as long as its not too radical) anywhere a stock geared bike will go off road without any difficulty. and it will perform better at cruising speeds onroad. (minus the highway, in my opinion no matter what you do to a 200cc its not efficient enough to keep up with morons on the interstates!)
    (both my friend and myself have also put custom exhaust over the stock and have put K&N air filters instead of the stock airbox and cleaner, and had them tuned on a dyno. so this probably helps the performance of our bikes, just something else to keep in mind, maybe these make a differnce as well.

x

My TW would do 65 on a good day, but throw in some wind and or a hill and you can forget it.

It's not a good idea to cruise a TW that fast anyway. Even when I went down to a 44T sprocket I didn't like it above 55.

If you want a dependable road bike to get you there and back that consistently gets 70-90 miles a gallon and can comfortably cruise 65 I'd highly recommend a Rebel 250 (If you're 5'6 or shorter) or a Nighthawk 250 if you're taller than 5'6. These bikes despite being only 233cc are the best 250 class twins ever designed, in terms of reliability. Not the fastest, but by far the longest lasting. You can cruise 60 to 65 all day and expect at least 100,000 miles out of a well cared for engine.

Tires and other disposable parts are pretty cheap too....I paid 55$ for a rear tire on my nighthawk and got about 12,000 miles out of it. Front tire had 24k miles on it and still plenty of miles to go. If you want to save cash by buying a bike many of the bigger bikes will barely break even thanks to tires and other maintenance costs - but some bikes like the 250's will save you a lot down the road.
    Last edited by Dark Sol; 09-07-2013 at 05:59 AM.
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

2007 CB919 - 70k Miles and still runs like new!

* 2001 TW200 (Sold after 15k miles of fun)

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by JEOD View Post
    My concern is, can it handle about 20 miles a day of about 65mph riding?
    If you are going to be doing that, I would look at something other than a TW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links