Vibrations in handle bars
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Vibrations in handle bars

Vibrations in handle bars

At any speed over 50 mph, I get some pretty good vibrations in my handle bar grips. Also, the front tire starts "humming" pretty loud at those speeds also, it makes since that that could be part of the vibrations. Any body change from the original front tire to a different style tire that doesn't sing notice less vibrations? I dont ride off road much, just grass pastures on my farm.

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    A front tire change should help, but I'll let those with non-stock tires weigh in on that.

Some members have filled the handle bars with silicon (get a tube at Home Depot, etc., lay the bike over and start squeezing it out a caulk gun. Turn bike to other side and repeat if nesiciary) and have commented on a noticeable decrease in vibrations. Since its a $3 fix it might be worth a shot. Thicker 'squishier' grips also help, check out the set ProCycle has on their TW page. I find my leather riding gloves (crotch rocket racing style) help a lot to reduce felt vibes and improve comfort.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

I'm going to order some different grips tonight and try the silicone later this week. Turning 50 this year, some things bother me more than they used to, such as vibrations in my already sore hands.
    Ron-BC likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It sounds like the front tire is baddly cupped causing nasty vibes............. I change over to a street tire on the front and all has been smooth for 7,000 miles....Also what gearing are you running ??????? I also switched to a 14/47 combo at the same time... So I'm guessing both helped my vibe problems. OMM.

The handlebar vibrations on my 04 were killing me. Already had some nerve damage from logging (running a saw). I bought the heavy walled aluminum ATV bars. I bought the Pro Grip 714 grips. I changed to the Shinko 244 front tire. It all helped incrementally, but the vibes were still bad. This forum had suggested lead shot in the bar ends. Finally I got some small lead shot. Stuffed some foam down the bars to just past the 1st bend. Filled the bar ends with shot, tapped them to settle it, added more, finally kind of packed it in with a punch and a hammer. HUGE DIFFERENCE. More recently I added Ride-on balance & seal to both tires, made a significant difference in vibes again. Cheap lead shot made the bike good at highway speeds.

Roy
    2004 T-dub, 15/50-68 dual sprocket, modded carb, kickstart, weldment footpegs, EK o-ring chain, Shinko 241 front tire, Duro PG rear, Ride-on seal/balance f&r, Pro Taper bars w/ PG grips, folding mirrors, XT350 tank, f&r Cycleracks, Saddlemens gel seat insert, VisionX LED driving lights, TCI pan/guards, 230cc six speed engine/trans, Jimbo Shield (smoke); ongoing monkeyshinin'

I'll be turning 62 shortly and both my rear end and hands feel the vibes and are numb after 20-30 miles. I changed the rear to a 47T and I do get a bit less vibration but at a cost of some low end torque. The 14/50 stock combo is probably the best but for mostly road and hard packed trails the step down to a rear 47 might help. I am keeping it but it is not a major fix or even a big benefit as far as I am concerned. Changing the gearing is a tricky and very personal thing. Some love it while others hate it.

As for the silicone in the bars I think I would refrain from that and go a different route at first. Once you fill the bars with silicone there is no going back!

Go to your local Gander or gun shop and get some lead shot for reloading shotgun shells # 7-9. Stuff a wine bottle cork in the throttle end about an inch. From the clutch side fill the tube with the shot and plug it with cork and see if this helps. You can always dump it and try the silicone next. Lead should deaden the bars pretty well. A road worthy front tire could also help if you don't go off road much.

I am still experimenting with the seat. Some said the sterns/ Coleman ATV seat cushion helps and I have it. Help, yes, great No. Some say the Seat Concepts is the way to go while others swear by the Airhawk adjustable small pillion is the best. I'll let you know about the Airhawk when I get one. I can live with the Coleman cushion but it sure would be nice to have a comfy seat for this ass.

If I go 50 miles it takes a half an hour before I can feel my fingers or fart with any pleasure but I do love my bike and I am working on the fix.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

While on a ride earlier this year with the NorCal crew I experienced mucho vibration that caused my fingers to tingle during the ride and for several days later. I researched this problem on this site as well as the Adventure Riders site. I had to do something! I filled my bars with silicon caulk. I didn't know what to expect but thought what the heck, I had to do something. I am very satisfied with the results. The next long ride was comfortable. No more tingles! If you give it a try and have the same results you will be happy. Good luck.

Joe
    Last edited by Joemama; 09-20-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Little General View Post
    I'm going to order some different grips tonight and try the silicone later this week. Turning 50 this year, some things bother me more than they used to, such as vibrations in my already sore hands.
    I use a pair of gloves I got from Home Depot which have some extra padding the palms. These are slightly insulated gloves made more for fall or winter, but I use them for riding year round. The little tag on the gloves reads "Blizzard". Didn't cost to much either.

With the gloves on, it lessens the tingling in my fingers, hands, or arms like I use to feel.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

To be honest the only thing that I find vibrates a lot on my 08 is the foot pegs. It has helped that I switched to DMO pegs. But still if there's one thing that's going to go numb its my feet.

I also have horrible ankles/knees from years of wheelie boarding so that cant help.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Got to love Gary. After you turn 50 you never trust a fart, whether riding or not. AS far as sprockets, I think I have a 15 on the front and 50 on the rear. Im going to try a 47 on the rear and a new front tire. Mines the origional with 2800 miles.When I ride standing up and watch the front tire, I can see the tread not running true.
    Dubzha likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links