Just picked up my first TW200 and my first motorcycle
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just picked up my first TW200 and my first motorcycle

I sold my 74 FJ40 last week and just bought a 98 TW200 with 2400 miles yesterday and am about to start on the process of getting it up and running. Got a new battery and got the bike to run rough with the choke out for about 10 seconds. Planning on rebuilding or cleaning the carb and need some advice on a carb rebuild kit and any other advice for a new owner bringing back an older bike. I am new to working on motorcycles so any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Questions
    -what carb kit?
    -what other maintenance should I take care of?
    - What gremlins should I look out for?

Here is the bike....

image.jpeg

No advice, but welcome to the board! You've selected a tough critter - it should come back just fine! I like the color too lol.
    God is great and beer is good and people are crazy.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub
    2011 Kubota L3200 4x4 with a bucket Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Welcome. Check this out. There's also some good carb info on the Technical Write-Ups part of the Technical Help forum.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Cool, first moto anf you picked a good one! Congrats.
    It's only the end of the rode if you fail to make the turn.

Sold a four wheeled Land Cruiser and bought a two wheeled one. Nice! If ever there was a motorbike that could be considered equivalent, the TW is it. Slow, bulletproof, unstoppable and dead reliable. Well done!

Thanks for the advice guys. I got the carb off and am waiting for a rebuild kit to come in. I ordered from procycle. I also found a pretty major oil leak coming from a bolt on the left side of the case. I also noticed gasket maker on every bolt head on the case so I think I may be ordering a gasket for that as well. Pics of terrible oil leak fix to follow.

SEAFOAM run 2 tanks before you oop 2 l8

Running rough with the choke out for 10 seconds? What happened after that? Some of these require a long warm up period depending on altitude and jetting. Depending on your answer to the question it just might be ok with the suggested Seafoam treatment.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

The bike rand with choke out but died out once the choke was in. I already pulled the carb and ordered new jets and gaskets so i am going to have to wait until the parts come in to put everything together but now my attention is turning to the oil leak from the left side cover. I am going to pull it tonight and upload some pics.

Ok. Hopefully the new jets do the trick. When I first bought mine, I had to leave the choke on a long long time before it would idle with the choke in. I finally started riding it with the choke half way in so it would warm up faster. Once warm, it would idle but the throttle could not be opened quickly without a bog indicating a lean idle mixture.

I did a lot more than new jets. I made certain the circuits to the three little holes at the slide, or is it two on the TW, were completely clear. And made certain the air jets at the intake were clear.

Nothing helped. Had the idle screw out 4 1/2 turns. That helped but not enough.

I finally went to a #45 idle jet and now all is well. Idle screw is out at about 1 1/2 at 7K feet.

The only thing I can think of that could have caused my problem/solution is that someone did something to enlarge the idle air jet. Either at the factory or by a previous owner.

I had a 1976 IT250 that came from the factory with an IT 400 needle jet. Talk about jetting hassles!

Moral of the story: Gotta look at every possibility on a used bike. Ya just never know. New bike can be same deal.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links