Ode to MR. T - My 1990 Yamaha TW200!
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By BugSpatteredJacket
  • 1 Post By lizrdbrth
  • 1 Post By liquidsilver
  • 1 Post By joeband

Thread: Ode to MR. T - My 1990 Yamaha TW200!

Senior Member BugSpatteredJacket's Avatar

Hello All,

As mentioned in a previous thread, I bought a 1990 T-Dub recently. It promises to be my Winter project that should keep me smiling! :-) However, do share your ideas and modifications. As the title suggests, I plan to have some fun with this bike!

I am going to be planning an off road excursion for next spring/summer when the bike is ready. I would like to head up north in Quebec towards Hudson Bay. So, I am thinking of a variety of mods that will increase distances between stopping for gas, etc... (i.e. Clarke Tank maybe?!?) but truthfully, I'd appreciate it if folks here could kind of come up with the ten (or more) most important mods I should consider for the bike. Especially where riding off road is concerned as that would definitely be part of the itinerary.

In the meantime, let the mods and giggles commence.

BSJ
    Wingnut likes this.
    BugSpatteredJacket
    Hidden Content

I'm gunna interpret your choice of the term "excursion" to mean that you'll be riding rather than hauling and you intend to be self-sufficient. If that's the case I'll give you my four top priorities:

#1. Fuel capacity. In a tank. Between your legs. Not taking up gear space in soda bottles, gas cans, old hot water bottles, tool tubes, Kolpins, Rotopaxes or any other vessel which by its volume, shape or attendant bracketry reduces space for said gear or puts weight where it doesn't belong.

#2. See #1.

#3. A BEEG rack. Beeger the better.

#4. A bike which fits you.

#5-10: Probably about the same as everyone else.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 09-10-2013 at 05:06 PM.
    r80rt likes this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Tools! There is no such thing as too many but weight and valuable realestate on the bike is a major issue. Choose wisely depending upon how deep and far off you plan to go. Next would be racks. Hands down the Cyclerack is the best I have seen thus far. Then you have to decide the gear you are taking and stowing it with weight and balance in mind. To heavy in the rear and the front end gets squirrelly real fast.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hey,

Thanks for the replies thus far! The tank is something I have been paying attention too since finding this site. Looking at going for the four gallon clarke tank or possibly a large tank from Japan depending on price and whether I can source one second hand.

Cyclerack seems like the best choice, cerainly big enough and may in fact allow for me to store gas if need be.

Tools is something on my mind. The bike I bought doesnt have the original tool kit with it. I normally go through the bikes I buy and make up a set specific for the new bike, especially where chain bikes are concerned. If anyone has put together such a tool kit already I would be much obliged if you could tell me if the is something I absolutely should carry at all times specific to this bike. I do plan on picking up the tool tube from ProCycle.

Is the GPS set up from ProCycle worth the purchase? Looks great but am not sure.

I plan to collect alot of the basics too from the local extreme adventure store such as sleeping bag, tent, etc.... Stuff that are capable of being used when the weather gets chilly. I also plan on collecting some things from the army surplus.

I am thinking less is more. Already started prepping a repair kit including extra tire tubes, etc...
    BugSpatteredJacket
    Hidden Content

For tools...

JIS screwdriver (ebay)
    Open end wrenches 8 10 12 14 (if i recall correctly)
    Low end leatherman tool (pliers, flat screw driver, etc.)
    Allen keys if you've got any new bolts installed.

Add some baling wire or zip ties, some duct tape, and a flashlight and you have a compact kit.

I carry a tow strap to help those on lesser bikes. :-)
    --
    Richard (a.k.a. LiquidSilver)

91 TW200 / 03 VRSCA / 05 Polaris Sportsman 500 / Honda Helix CN250
    GaryL likes this.
    Richard (a.k.a. LiquidSilver)

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

91 TW200 aka "The Mule" :-)

03 VRSCA / 05 Polaris Sportsman 500 / Honda Helix CN250[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by BugSpatteredJacket View Post
    Hey,

Thanks for the replies thus far! The tank is something I have been paying attention too since finding this site. Looking at going for the four gallon clarke tank or possibly a large tank from Japan depending on price and whether I can source one second hand.

Cyclerack seems like the best choice, cerainly big enough and may in fact allow for me to store gas if need be.

Tools is something on my mind. The bike I bought doesnt have the original tool kit with it. I normally go through the bikes I buy and make up a set specific for the new bike, especially where chain bikes are concerned. If anyone has put together such a tool kit already I would be much obliged if you could tell me if the is something I absolutely should carry at all times specific to this bike. I do plan on picking up the tool tube from ProCycle.

Is the GPS set up from ProCycle worth the purchase? Looks great but am not sure.

I plan to collect alot of the basics too from the local extreme adventure store such as sleeping bag, tent, etc.... Stuff that are capable of being used when the weather gets chilly. I also plan on collecting some things from the army surplus.

I am thinking less is more. Already started prepping a repair kit including extra tire tubes, etc...
    think too much and for too long and you might want to check a couple threads here from guys who built tow behind trailers. At my age I love the thought of doing a deep woods adventure on my T dub. Then I think about how miserable I would be cold and wet and without a nice easy chair and cold one.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

if you haven't already, you can peruse through this list of what others have done, and see what ideas suite your needs.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...ady-tw200.html
    r80rt likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Awesome stuff, thanks guys!
    BugSpatteredJacket
    Hidden Content

Sponosred Links