TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Passed the test, got the learner's permit

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  OSOK 
#1 ·
Went this afternoon to the nearest DMV location and took the motorcycle written test (actually on a video thing) - I think I aced it. I read the manual that they provide which was developed in Cali and the test was right out of the manual. Piece of cake. Nothing on the permit saying how long it's valid.... no problem as I'm going next week and take the riding test. Have to bring the bike on a trailer... seems silly but I guess they don't want anybody leaving on their bike if they fail the test!

Was BSing with the State Troopers at the center - a First Sergeant and a Master Sergeant. Nice folks.

Thought it was weird that I had to do the vision test - already did that for my regular DL.... whatever.

I'm pretty comfortable on the TW but after reading the manual through, I think I need to work on proper/safe braking - using both brakes as I tend to just downshift and use the front. Bad habits... Other than that, there were some good safety pointers in the manual I think. Like making eye contact is worth diddly, proper lane positions depending on situation and some pointers on riding in a group.

#3 ·
Any training for safety is a good thing.....Making eye contact is very important, If I think the driver didn't notice me I'll flick my high beam then back to my low beam. I know for a fact this saved my life once............... The driver started out then I did my flick and she freaked out and slammed her brakes while I jogged just far enough to miss her......OMM.

#4 ·
Making eye contact is very important,
But... Relying on eye contact is dangerous.

True, they won't see you if they never make eye contact or look in your direction.

However, the problem occurs when you assume they see you when they appear to be making eye contact. Even if you can clearly see the driver looking directly at you, it is no assurance that the driver is actually is seeing you. There are many stories of motorcyclists being hit, or almost hit, after they thought they made eye contact with the cager and yet the cager pulled right out in front of them.

I am not trying to preach, but even if you think you made eye contact, proceed as though you didn't. We don't want to lose anyone.

#5 ·
Eye contact is USUALLY important, but it can't be relied upon!:eek: It does make me feel better if the stopped cager is looking my direction rather than away from me while talking on a cell phone, but I never take it for granted that they actually register in their brain that a motorcycle is coming at them. I watch their front wheels very carefully and if they begin to move I slam on the brakes and then go wide.

So maximum braking practice is VERY important! The TW will lock up it's rear wheel very easily, but not the front. Braking THEN swerving is an absolutely critical survival skill. With ABS on the Beemer I can brake moderately and swerve at the same time, but not on the TW. Besides, if the cager actually does come all the way out or does a left turn in front of you the swerve may not work out. Better to practice straight line maximum effort stops until you can do them in your sleep.

Learn to hit both brakes quickly but progressively then back off the rear as the weight transfers to the front.....which takes about 0.3 seconds! Forget about downshifting, that's for normal braking, not maximum effort....you won't have time. just pull in the clutch and keep it pulled in. You WILL lock up the rear but with practice you can keep it to only a momentary screech. The front brake can be used MUCH harder than you think, in fact on pavement it's very difficult to skid it in a straight line. Better front tires like the Kenda or Shinko will make a BIG difference.

Y'all be careful out there!

#6 ·
Have to bring the bike on a trailer... seems silly but I guess they don't want anybody leaving on their bike if they fail the test!
Typically the permit allows driving during daylight hours only, no passengers, and no highways - is this not the case in your area? Even if you fail the driving test, you still have the permit, and you're allowed to take the driving portion several times. The permit is so that you can actually get some saddle time in and learn how to ride.

I definitely recommend an MSF Safety Course. Took my first one 25 years ago, and again a few months ago - figured it was easier to pass the course than to pass the actual DMV drive test, and the refresher on safety tactics is always great.

#11 ·
You know, they didn't tell me any of that and there's nothing on the permit about it. I might be able to find it on their web site, but I doubt it - it's a real cluster of a web site. Looks pretty but is very poorly designed - completely non intuitional.

#10 ·
Ah one of the things that kinda freaks me - people that have this steady creep going - might be waiting for you to pass or starting to go... who knows?

Also - riding in town where there's the inside tweener turning lane - people like to whip out into that lane in preparation to merge into the inside lane. It's freaky when they do that right in front of you - do they see you? I assume NO. And I'm learning to just stay in the outside lane and deal with the right hand turners...

"Cagers" :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.