First impressions
Close

First impressions

I got a 2001 TW last week with 700 miles on it. Tried to plate it but it didn't pass safety - chain and sprockets had to be changed so I had the shop put an o ring chain on it and a 55 in the rear. Wanted a smaller in the front too but they couldn't find one and I didn't want to wait. Already ordered 13T and 12T from procycle and will swap them when have time. Anyhow I took it for a first ride yesterday. Put it in the truck drove for just over an hour to an area I been on back when I had a KLR (but didn't always dare to go on steep and rocky in spots trails in the woods) and rode it for a few hours. What a blast!!!!!!!! This bike is fantastic for that kind of stuff it just flies over this rocks. A better rider maybe yes but I would never been able to ride there on a heavier dual sport bike. During my ride I managed to get stuck in a thigh deep puddle/swamp (and rock the bike out, thank god is so light), drop the bike on a rocky section hitting the clutch lever on the way down (instead of breaking it just slid down the handlebar and I pushed it right back - voila) and scare away a black bear that was standing on the trail (I guess loud pipes DO save lifes). I am REALLY impressed! To the point that today my wife and I are going to take a look at another low milage TW that is for sale in the area. That one would be for her.

-----------------
    sent from mobile device so don't take typos and bad grammar personally

Nice Yan, very nice. They really are special bikes, and if you are not in a hurry, they will serve you very well.

Get that front sprocket changed out as soon as possible. You really want to do both sprockets when you put on a new chain. That old one will tear up your new chain.
    Last edited by littletommy; 09-14-2013 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yan View Post
    Already ordered 13T and 12T from procycle and will swap them when have time.
    I think you will find that the 12 tooth sprocket will not work. The side links will contact the screws or the clip and will destroy each other in short order. I have had a 13 tooth for the last 5,500 miles with no problem. 13/55 is a great ratio for gnarly slow terrain and high altitude.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Congrats on your new ride! They really are great bikes - love mine too.
    God is great and beer is good and people are crazy.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub
    2011 Kubota L3200 4x4 with a bucket Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links