760 miles on the tdub so far: observations
Close

Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By OSOK
  • 1 Post By admiral

Thread: 760 miles on the tdub so far: observations

Talking 760 miles on the tdub so far: observations

Well, so far I've logged 760 miles on "Sarge". She's doing great and I've learned a lot. I've also observed a few things:

- The tdub is a blast to ride! I love mine.
    - It's probably a better bike on the trails than on the road but it's a great run-around-town, errand and short trip bike.
    - The stock sprockets are just about perfect for road riding given the power of the engine. It seems just fine on the trails for me too but I can see how folks that ride primarily on trails with theirs go with a reduced ratio.
    - A small "assault" pack is a very good way to haul small amounts of groceries, water bottles, extra fuel bottles, etc.
    - I intend to put a rack on mine too - will allow for even more carry capacity and negate the need for the pack most of the time.
    - Windy days add some challenge to riding on the highways (state highways 55MPH). The tdub is lightweight and a gust of wind definitely is a moving experience lol.
    - Bugs are attracted to face shields. Spit makes an excellent face shield solvent and having a wipe rag with you keeps the front of your t-shirt from getting full of bug stuff.
    - The "real world" MPG for my tdub is around 70 MPG.
    - Gravel feels much worse than it actually is. Use the rear brake, stay under power and don't over react to the shimmy that it gives to the front tire. Sand... x10.
    - Hardly anyone has seen a TW before and most are curious and admire it. Even the "big bike" riders seem to like em. I think its the fat tires and rugged good looks (the tdub, not me)
    - The tdub is fully capable of extended trips, but my butt isn't. If I'm going to do any more longer (100 mile +) trips, I've got to get me a gel seat or something to alleviate the butt hurt that comes on eventually. Gloves work to help with the numb hands too - I've already seen to that one - a pair of "mecanixs wear" gloves seem to work fine and look decent.
    - Check your bike's headlight "aim" before riding at night for the first time - mine was shooting way high and the high beam was ridiculous.
    - Deer are afraid of the tdub - don't know what to think of it - which is good. I get a different reaction from them on the tdub than in my jeep - they seem to run rather than stand and look at you when you go by - so obviously, they could run in front of you - I'm keeping that in mind and finding that the little horn actually works quite well to disperse them ahead of getting there.
    - Getting to park up front every time in the parking lots is nice.
    - An expanding Asp makes a very good frame-mounted defensive tool for areas of the country where you can't carry a gun. It's also "stealthy" - looks just like a tire pump to most people. A steel asp is a very capable weapon and with a little training and practice will make you a formidable opponent.
    - Cage vehicles tend to carry a lot of debris with them as they drive and throw it at you when you pass on the opposite side of a two-lane highway. I can't imaging riding without a face shield or a pair of goggles that fill the face area - with a mouth protector. I had a huge june bug or something hit my chin piece and explode one afternoon - was sure glad I had the helmet there - a good sized rock would really be trouble.
    - Did I mention that the tdub is a blast to ride?
    Last edited by OSOK; 09-15-2013 at 12:19 PM.
    God is great and beer is good and people are crazy.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub
    2011 Kubota L3200 4x4 with a bucket Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Excellent observations! Glad to hear you are enjoying your TW! thanks for sharing!!!

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    Many spot on points. The only down side to using the Tdub to run around town is you better have plenty of time. I can never get out of the parking lot when I'm in a rush because someone always wants to ask questions about the bike.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ok, I want an Asp. I just have no idea what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by winks View Post
    Ok, I want an Asp. I just have no idea what it is.
    An expandable baton for hitting someone over the noggin! Or elsewhere about the body
    CoverMe92 likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Here is one for cheap at Sportsman's Guide - I needed some "break in" as it was quite sticky when I got it. Expandable Steel Baton - 490355, Accessories at Sportsman's Guide

Mine has a solid foam handle - not the textured one as shown. It really does look like a tire pump.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub

Hidden Content

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    Or if you have lots of extra money the legit ASPs https://www.asp-usa.com/store/batons...loc-baton.html

I want the new locking system to replace my original ASP, but I don't have the $$$ for that right now and Uncle Sam doesn't buy me toys anymore.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

Mine is not for duty obviously = just a something is better than nothing weapon.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub

Hidden Content

Tusk $20 bar risers from rocky mountain atv will help the hand vibrations alot and better grips. Seat concepts seat did wonders for me. Ive done week long trips on the dub with comfort and i can still sit in the chair when i get home.

Sponosred Links