Still lurking...hopefully not much longer
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Still lurking...hopefully not much longer

Still lurking...hopefully not much longer

I am going to look at a 2005 TW200 this afternoon. According to the seller it has 2195 miles, no dents, some scratches ( I am sure that I will add more), battery is dead and stored in the garage. Seller took it on trade for a truck. He does not ride it and is selling. According to seller (2nd owner) there is a small leak on left side at the shifter and the battery is dead. Not sure if it will hold a charge.

I am looking for any last minute things to look for before purchasing this bike. I will be able to drive it and I will be looking for any noticeable rust areas under the battery or swingarm area. I will check all lights and oil. It does not sound like it has been abused just not on the road much.

Thanks.

Shift shaft seals are cheap and doing them requires removing the left side case cover and a couple hours of work. With that low of miles, there probably isn't too much wrong with it. Yeah, you do want to drive it before buying. It would be nice to know if it had been driven and/or started a couple times a year. You might ask what kind of gas is in it and/or if stablizer was used, since you may have to go through the carb and clean it up. Look to see if it has somewhat clear and clean oil and if the chain has oil on it. At least that lets you know it may have been cared for a little.

Good luck, hope you get it!
    maddawgj likes this.

The seller is the 2nd owner and has owned it for +-6 months. According to him he has driven it a few times since taking it on trade. I plan to change oil, filters and left seal, clean tank(at least a good rinse) and check valves and timing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks LittleTommy. I hope so too. I can't wait to hit the trails.

Sounds pretty good, I bet you end up coming home with it. While you have the cover off, change all the seals. They dry out and start leaking from non-use. If one is leaking, I would change them all while in there. Put a inline gas filter on it asap also. Your plan sounds good.

I think we have a new TW and rider in the forum!!
    Keep us posted!

So what was the verdict on the bike? Did you get a chance to look at it/ride?

I was able to meet up with the seller last night. The bike looked just about as expected. It could use a bath but I asked him not to clean it. Definitely some oil from the shifter. The battery was dead so we jumped it and I rode it around a bit. Everything seemed and sounded pretty normal. It has 2195miles on it and appears to be in good shape. The seat looked dirty but not sun faded. The chain had oil on it and the sprocket appeared good except for one broken tooth on the small output sprocket. Very few light scratches and no dents on the tank. Paperwork seemed to be in order, 2 two keys included with owners manual and toolkit. The only strange thing was that it has not been registered since '06. I suspect that the original owner bought it, had it registered new and never renewed after that and it stayed on a ranch or local trails only. No signs of abuse and the base gasket was not leaking. The tank looked clean inside but I will drain and rinse the tank and run some clean gas through it. Does anyone recommend a carb cleaner or fuel additive for an initial cleaning? All lights are working and no mods or accessories installed.

Long story short...I made the owner an offer, he accepted and I pick it up tonight in 12 hours. I did not like the feeling of not being able to kickstart it, so adding a kicker to it moved up the list. Also, on the list are the obvious items like chain, sprockets, rack, Jimbo shield, some sort of storage box or bags, left side seals, and of course a battery. I do not have pictures yet but will take some when I pick it today.

I am excited to learn more about the bike and start exploring the backroads.

ALRIGHT BRO!!! You got it!! Cool!

Try some Lucus Deep Fuel Cleaner, it really worked wonders on a couple of my bikes. I could feel it working within 2 or 3 miles and it just got better after that. Hopefully it will help and you won't have to open the carb. Don't forget to get a inline fuel filter as soon as possible.

congrats on you new ride. i'm partial to the '05 colors, but any t-dub is bonus!
    frehley76 likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links