Replacement bolts for the seat
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By lizrdbrth
  • 1 Post By Point37
  • 1 Post By elime

Thread: Replacement bolts for the seat

Replacement bolts for the seat

I am new to the TDub world and so far am loving the bike. I'm having a few issues (like last time I started it it idled fine, but any throttle input would kill the motor) but there are plenty of threads to resolve that (time for carb clean, maybe 130 jet, and fuel filter, you guys have posted TONs of information ). But there is one issue I can't find an answer to and I'm hoping for some help.

My bike didn't come with the seat bolts, and I've already lost the seat twice (stand up riding and a few mild off the ground experiences). I've searched the web and this forum and can't find anyone that has posted the exact stats of the bolts so I can pick them up at a hardware store today. I've got the yamaha part number for them, but even then the description is always "Yamaha Bolt" and doesn't give dimensions. Anybody know the size of those bolts (ex. M8 x 15 x 1, etc).

Thanks,

Todd

M6. But I wouldn't simply replace them. Then you'll have the opposite problem in that you'll have a heckuva time getting the seat OFF.

There are a couple of threads for ideas on homebrew quick-release seat bolts or pins you might want to look at.

Have a look at the inserts in your seat to make sure there isn't half of an old bolt stuck in there. A lot of times if the P.O. left the seat bolts loose they became sawn in half and the stub is still stuck inside the seat.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 09-19-2013 at 10:05 AM.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Just ride your bike to the hardware store, take your seat in with you, find the correct size/thread, and pick a length in the 3/4" to 1" range.

Here are a couple of threads on quick release seat fasteners:

https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...mule-nuts.html

https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...eat-bolts.html

Brian

p.s. Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 09-19-2013 at 12:30 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum.

I've had to drag all manner of weird stuff into the hardware store over the years but I didn't think about dragging in the motorcycle seat. Good idea.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

It ain't as if you'll need to unbolt it...

Wingnut likes this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Yeah, read through the quick-release options, but I really don't see myself taking off my seat again until the battery dies, so wasn't too worried about engineering a quick release, just a simple bolt to hold the thing on for now. Even in those threads though I couldn't find the size. Modding will come shortly

So M6 bolt and a washer, I'm guessing an inch in length will work. Thought about bringing the seat in, but while I live in the city I leave the bike out in the country at my parents house, so closest HW store is 30 mins ride, and that's an hour that I could spend in the woods while I'm out there. I'd rather just pick it up on the way out.

Thanks for the answers.

Industrial strength velcro works awesome. Cheap easy and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by kinome79 View Post
    Yeah, read through the quick-release options, but I really don't see myself taking off my seat again until the battery dies, so wasn't too worried about engineering a quick release, just a simple bolt to hold the thing on for now. Even in those threads though I couldn't find the size. Modding will come shortly

So M6 bolt and a washer, I'm guessing an inch in length will work. Thought about bringing the seat in, but while I live in the city I leave the bike out in the country at my parents house, so closest HW store is 30 mins ride, and that's an hour that I could spend in the woods while I'm out there. I'd rather just pick it up on the way out.

Thanks for the answers.
    i went with the joe band bolt method...it's def worth the extra time when you need to get at the battery or you want to add a luggage rack and need to take the seat off or you need to pull the tank off...you pretty much need to take the seat off for some maintenance things so it's worth doing...i would get a big fat zip tie and zip the seat down, ride to the hardware store and buy your bolts and spacers and try them while you're there so you get it right then you will be all set

my screw up...not long enough to spin the wing nut

this worked though...
    retmotor likes this.

The bolt on the right -- grind the head round and LocTite it all together and add a washer and install it. Overall, it is worth the effort.

Last edited by elime; 09-23-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    retmotor likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Sponosred Links