Newb introduction, rebuilding 1990 Tdub
Close

Newb introduction, rebuilding 1990 Tdub

I've wanted a Tdub for years as a zombie-apocalypse rapid (?) transit system. Someone in Richmond, VA was selling a 1990 for $950, so I ran down and impulse-bought it.

The rebuild so far has been a stripped / rewelded exhaust, new tires & tubes (trusting 23 year old rubber seemed destined for tears), stripped/painted swingarm, touchup-painted chassis, general tuneup, carb rebuild, new fork oil, stripped/painted tank and general clean up / tune up later I'm just waiting on a new reg/rectifier ($20 amazon) to finish assembly. Everything lubed and re-gapped/sized/shimmed.

The only "neat" mod so far was to replace the crumbly old swingarm chain guard with a slice from an onld HDPE cutting board. Replacement chain guide was ~$50, DIY was free and maybe 30 minutes of messing around (hint - HDPE cutting board becomes pliable at 275 deg F - bake it, remove, bend, cool).

Total budget for bike, rebuild, mods & accessories is $1500, looks like I have ~$250 left to play with for mods and fixing the issues I haven't yet found.

Ideas for winter projects include revised lighting (LEDs all around, including headlight), DIY skidplate, carb rejetting, maybe fitting some kind of electronic dash to replace stock console w GPS/navigation. I like the idea of using a welding rod carrier to carry tools/spare gas, also having a USB charger might be handy. The sprockets are a little worn, but until I drive it a bit I don't want to pick a new ratio.

Anyhow - greetings from Northern Virginia, thanks to all here for the ideas and suggestions posted to date.
    tim

Welcome to the forum Tim!

How about before and after pics?

rbm
    Hello and welcome! Winter projects are always fun, and expensive....

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome!
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Back together now, only setback is that after stripping & repainting the tank I opened up some pinholes on the RHS inside of the tank - leaked gas and lifted the paint. Amazoning some Red Kote or POR, will repaint or upsize the tank when convenient - some JB weld is doing the trick for now. Also had to adjust the float height to avoid the LH vent overflowing when on the kickstand - simple old carbs are a delight to work with!

I just need to review Virginia law to see what is missing for a safety check, then I'll register & plate it.

Quote Originally Posted by tim-in-oakton View Post
    (hint - HDPE cutting board becomes pliable at 275 deg F - bake it, remove, bend, cool).tim
    Good to know. I've been thinkin' about how to make a bashplate out of one. I've read lots about how they (HDPE skidplates) slide alot easier over obstacles and can take the abuse that an aluminum piece can.

YOU ARE A GENIUS!! I was planning to fab up an aluminum skid plate and have a buddy tig it for a few beers, but HDPE might be a neat alternative - it is tough as nails and won't work harden like aluminum would.
    Course, it would look like a dirty old cutting board, but the price is right!

Sponosred Links