New AZ T-Dub
Close

Thread: New AZ T-Dub

New AZ T-Dub

Hey guys, I figured I'd start a build/intro thread now that my T-dub is rideable.

I grew up riding a honda trail 70, a variety of old enduros, mini bikes and 4wheelers. I've been in love with the Tdub since they first came out. I've always been a big fan of the big wheel series and owned a basket case BW80 that I was going to restore but my folks gave it away when I was at school. The Tdub is a more practical bike anyway so I've been on the lookout for a cheap used one over the past year since I moved to AZ and can ride year round.

I picked up an 89 T-dub a few weeks ago. It had 7200 miles, over 6900 were from the original owner and apparently he used it as a motor home bike. The second owner bought in it 2002 for his kids at their ranch property and they drove it what looks to be 2-300 hard miles. It sat for the last 7-8 years. He was going to part it out, but decided to do a quick carb clean and replace a fuse which allowed it to start but not run well. He figured it was too nice to part out and a PITA so he sold it to me on CL for $450.

I bought an OEM carb and diaphragm kit, hiflow oil filters (with 4 holes ), air filter, and fuel filter from Procycle and cleaned and installed the carb kit. I don't have a lot of free time so I took it to a semi-retired bike mechanic to adjust the valves and tune the carb. He emailed me tonight and I'm going to pick it up in the morning. So with parts and labor I have $650 into the bike.

It still needs the following:

Clean/lube and or replace the chain. (Mechanic says it still has 1-2k more miles if I clean it up)
    New front tire
    Rear tire looks good but will likely replace with an ATV tire as the age is unknown.
    New seat foam/cover
    Clean/shine plastic
    Bigger tank possibly an XT225/350 clarke tank. Stock Tank has been lined and it has a big dent. Mechanic says they did a good job lining it and that it should be usable with my inline filter. I'll just use it for now until I have the funds for a stock 225/350 or Clarke tank
    New grips (I bought some $12 Scott grips)
    New blinker bulb

Eventual upgrades:
    Rear rack- I love the modded ATV rack I saw on here, I might go this route if I can find a cheap ATV rack, otherwise I might buy a cyclerack when funds permit.
    Front rack, above headlight.
    Panniers of some sort.
    Windshield

?FFT mod? I'd love to throw a stock Tdub tire on the front since I need to replace it anyway. I'm on the lookout for a rear wheel so please PM me if you have a spare.

I don't think I'll be commuting much as I drive 25 miles round trip 50/50 FRWY/city and it gives me an hour of audio study each day. However, I will be using it for putting around town, running errands, and offroad. We also have an 04 TTR90, 98 PW80, and 83 ATC70. My boys are too little for the dirt bikes but my 5 year old putts around on the ATC70 in the gravel backyard. Eventually when they're old enough the boys will join me on the trail when they can ride solo. My wife cruises around on the minibikes with me while carrying one of the boys on the front. She's never rode a bike before the pw/TTR but I'd like to see how she handles the T-dub. If she likes it I may pass this one onto her and buy another one in a few years. I'm also a land cruiserhead (modified 97 FZJ80) and belong to the local club, so we'll be taking the T-dub on camping and wheeling trips etc.

Looking forward to meeting some more T-dub riders. Thanks for all of the tips, this forum is great!
    Last edited by TWcruiser; 09-20-2013 at 02:41 AM.

Welcome. I started out on a rigid frame 3 hp mini bike, and would have loved having a Honda 70. Now that I'm a big kid, glad they make the TW

Hope you enjoy your's!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

rbm
    Hello and welcome!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I guess i'm allowed to say 'Welcome'. I just picked up my 2005 TW200 last night. Barely 24hours ago. I too grew up riding a 1969 Z50 (still have it in my garage) and since then have acquired several other Z50s, a few CT70s and and CT90. The kid down the street from me had a QA50 that would always beat me and my other friend on our Z50s. I have been wanting a TW200 for many years now and finally said 'What the Heck' (those from Utah will understand). Its amazing to watch how many people continually buy TWs and join the group.These bikes are amazing.

Congrats on the TW! Sounds like you have some work to do - have fun.

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by FishByte View Post
    I guess i'm allowed to say 'Welcome'. I just picked up my 2005 TW200 last night. Barely 24hours ago. I too grew up riding a 1969 Z50 (still have it in my garage) and since then have acquired several other Z50s, a few CT70s and and CT90. The kid down the street from me had a QA50 that would always beat me and my other friend on our Z50s. I have been wanting a TW200 for many years now and finally said 'What the Heck' (those from Utah will understand). Its amazing to watch how many people continually buy TWs and join the group.These bikes are amazing.
    Send me a Z50' would Ya?

Welcome to the T-dub club, fellow Arizona T-dubber!

Whereabouts in AZ are you located TWcruiser?
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Quote Originally Posted by FishByte View Post
    I grew up in N UT so I definitely understand. My folks have a place in st Jorge and we visit every year. I've been on the hunt for a z50 for years now so if you have a spare you'd like to sell, please let me know.

Yeah, these tdubs are awesome bikes. I've been cruising up the rode a few times already. It feels pretty stiff and rickity still. I need to go through and clean /pack the wheel bearings and check the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    Welcome to the T-dub club, fellow Arizona T-dubber!

Whereabouts in AZ are you located TWcruiser?
    I think the same town as you. T-dubbin in south T-town/Vail.

Sponosred Links