Is the TW200 a good bike for a beginner?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Is the TW200 a good bike for a beginner?

Is the TW200 a good bike for a beginner?

Hi! I am 22 years old and I am looking to start riding for the very first time. What I hope to find out is the TW200 a good bike for a beginner? I have never ridden before and I plan to take a riders safety course and I am hoping to use the bike for going to and from school and work. Also I live in Arizona so there are some pretty nice trails out here and great hunting for Coyote. What I would like to know is it worth getting the TW200 or a different bike? The riders safety course will run me about $300 and I can get a new 2013 TW200 for about $3950 at my local dealer and the insurance will cost about $50 a month for full coverage. But ignoring the low price and overall costs is the bike easy to ride and is it economical to work on by myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Hi! I am 22 years old and I am looking to start riding for the very first time. What I hope to find out is the TW200 a good bike for a beginner? I have never ridden before and I plan to take a riders safety course and I am hoping to use the bike for going to and from school and work. Also I live in Arizona so there are some pretty nice trails out here and great hunting for Coyote. What I would like to know is it worth getting the TW200 or a different bike? The riders safety course will run me about $300 and I can get a new 2013 TW200 for about $3950 at my local dealer and the insurance will cost about $50 a month for full coverage. But ignoring the low price and overall costs is the bike easy to ride and is it economical to work on by myself?
    You simply cold not find a better bike for this. Yes, yes, yes, and yes!
    r80rt likes this.
    -tcepilot Hidden Content
    --- Psalm 23 Verses 4-5 ----

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil,
    for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed
    my head with oil; My cup overflows. (New American Standard Bible)

rbm
    I agree!
    r80rt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It really doesn't get any better.
    For what you describe, it's perfect.

Great for beginners
    Great for oldsters
    Great for running around town
    Great for offroad trail riding
    Great for working on
    Great for gas mileage
    r80rt and Braden like this.

Hello Cypher,

I am sure many here have great advice and all sorts of opinions. My first tiny advice is I hope you are not thinking well I'd like a cool R6 or CBR RR or Vstar but I'll settle for this TW because it seems as a good learner and I can use it for _____ insert excuse and so forth and so on. Basically convincing yourself why you should purchase it over some other sporty bike and or cruiser or the like. Because if you do that, I wouldn't be surprised if you come to find that you may regret you didn't buy something with a little more power or a little more range or better suited for one riding highway or city vs another option.

With that aside I feel that it is a GREAT little motorcycle and I as well took a motorcycle safety course a long while back and thats the motorcycle they put me on so I feel it's a great leaner... Very forgiving and I don't think it will allow you to get into to much trouble.

I use mine to ride to and from work and I also attend the local community college which I use it for that to. The trip I use it for is about 34 miles round trip and some of it is on I35 here in Texas which I am sure some would throw up there hands in shock because the TW does NOT have a whole lot of power and I usually ride in the slow lane at about 65mph. CAN IT DO IT?... Sure it can but it's sketchy! The trouble with that is that I don't have a lot of UMPH to get out of the way if someone came barreling at me. It's not like having a 600 or 1000cc crotch rocket that when you crack the throttle it lights up like Christmas and gets the hell out of the way. Alternatively I have to play super defensive driver and be on the look out as much as possible because the only thing I have in my tools of safe commuting is to try and watch it unfold ahead of time and leave me *plenty* of space between myself and other cars. Luckily I only travel on that freeway for a very short time but I am sure ANYONE here can and will say ALL I TAKES was that little moment. I also plan on going to a 15tooth front sprocket to help the engine a little bit out on the highway stuff I am also currently trying to install a little bit of luggage storage so that I can haul my books and junk a little easier. I will post my trial and error on that in a little bit to get opinions from these great people here.

For me it is not my first bike, I knew what I was getting. You will have to weigh your options on any bike, do you want it more for highway in the long run? More for city driving, more for off road? Don't full yourself and talk yourself into something you wish you hadn't bought.

To answer your questions, I would say yes it is easy to ride and economical on fuel and to maintain, this forum has got anything you need to darn near build from scratch check out Mr. Brackets posts that stuff is awesome!

For me the bike works. It is limited to what it can do but I feel thats what we grow found of in this little motorcycle. The TW reminds me of the big dog syndrome, It doesn't know its little and it goes just about anywhere! And what I love most is that I don't have to put mine on a trailer and ride it to some trails like pure bred off road dirt bike. I hop on at home drive it to work school and then for fun to some local trails where sure it's not fast like the more adept dirt bikes for that kind of trail riding but I can still make it up that trail just like them and I say who cares if you put your feet down! haha

IMO great motorcycle and fun to have easy to ride and can take a beating. But it still has it's limits. Especially in the cc area

Good luck in your choice,
    Izak
    littletommy, r80rt and admiral like this.

Yes, it's a great bike for a beginner. In fact, because of the comparative light weight, low seat height, and fun factor TW's are commonly used in rider training courses. Because of it's simplicity, the TW is also easy and cheap to maintain. It's a great bike in stock form (except for the front tire), but there is a plethora of accessories and modifications you can add to make it even better. I think you would enjoy a TW.
    r80rt and admiral like this.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Cypher, I was in the same boat as you this January! I had my heart set on a KLR650 but my insurance company said otherwise. I was looking at the XT250, CRF250L, KLX250 all of which have their high and lows but the lil' Dub stood out from the crowd. I've owned dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles and appreciate the TW's mechanical simplicity and new rider forgiveness. I took my MSR Course in April and logged over 3000kms. commuting, trail riding and beer runs (gotta love the cyclerack!). Blow a shift at a light, tap the front brake a little hard in the parking lot all you have to do is put your foot down and she's not falling over! I would like something with a little higher top speed, more power, better weather protection but all at a cost of the light weight, simple, get anywhere! Get a TW learn the ropes if you feel you need something more down the road they hold their resale value fairly well or add another to the stable.

I'd do it again!
    Cheers Ryan
    r80rt likes this.
    '09 TW200 - Black Jimbo Shield - Custom Oversize Foot Pegs - Tusk T-10 ATV Sport Bend Bars - Hammer Black Cycle Rack - Tool Tube (Muffler Style Mount) - 15/50 Sprocket - HID Headlight - Custom Mount Ducati Monster LED Tail Light - LED Turn Signals - Eagle Eye Running Lights - OURY Road Grips - Shinko 700 Trailmaster Front Tire.

I would hope that your insurance costs will go down.

Geico is pretty kind to motorcycle riders.

Absolutely! Great first bike for sure :-)
    r80rt likes this.

Yeah, what they said.
    Last edited by r80rt; 10-18-2013 at 06:48 PM.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links