TW off road tight trails?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: TW off road tight trails?

TW off road tight trails?

I have a trials bike that I use for riding mostly tight trails with the occasional technically challenging section.
    I have been daydreaming about a bike that could do those trails and be street legal.
    How do you think the TW would handle this?

My trials bike is an old Beta synt and works fine.
    I realize there is a big difference in the power output but that should be fine suspension travel looks the same.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Danster View Post
    I have a trials bike that I use for riding mostly tight trails with the occasional technically challenging section.
    I have been daydreaming about a bike that could do those trails and be street legal.

My trials bike is an old Beta synt and works fine.
    I realize there is a big difference in the power output but that should be fine suspension travel looks the same.

Dan
    The Beta and the TW are two separate beasts. I just got back from doing said trails, it is a little heavy and does not maneuver as easily as a Beta, but it can be done. I have 14/50 gear ratio, and I was impressed with how low 1 st gear actually was. It has really good compression. The only thing I wish I had was front disc brakes. You also mentioned the suspension, In my opinion the TW lacks, but Procycle has the fix.
    1994 TW

Had but regrettably sold a 1982 KZ1000R Eddie Lawson Replica

if you are going to sell the beta i would look at a plated wr250r or wr250f for that kind of tight trail riding...if you're used to riding a trials bike a TW is going to feel totally different
    Last edited by Point37; 09-27-2013 at 10:19 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Procycles has just about all you would want.
    I am going to attempt to find someone around here who will let me try there bike out.

To add on to what Drifter mentioned about gearing, the TW is even better on the trails with gearing such as 14-55. Top speed for pavement riding is reduced, but a lot better on the trails. Some even go with a larger rear sprocket than the 55T.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thanks for the input.
    I think the top speed I would want is about 80-90KPH one of my concerns is the power but knowing that, I'm sure I could adjust my riding style or find ways around.

Part of my interest is to get to some remote lakes for some fly fishing.(new sport for me)
    Low purchase price and running cost.

rbm
    I sold my Montesa Cota 315 4 years ago to fund other projects. Then I found the TW200 and bought one. The TW is no trials bike but I used it primarily for trail riding anyway, the TW is a great replacement IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Danster View Post

Dan
    There are many varied definitions of what a tight trail is among dirt bikers.

I have a KLX300 and a WR426. Rode the KLX 45 miles of offroad yesterday with three friends. I have ridden what this dirt biker calls very technical trails on the WR426. But as age advances and strength, stamina, and reflexes decline, when I just want to go out for a causal solo putt in the outback, I'm seeming to more and more walk over to the TW in my regular street cloths. Sometimes I put on a helmet.

I just happen to have recently made a video of what I'm calling Way to the Passage with the Passage being Park Creek Passage which was a way from point A to point B eliminating several miles of just graded roads and was around 5-6 years in the finding and the repair.

The Way to the Passage is another trail searched out to stay off the graded road on the way to the Passage.

It's about 45 minutes whittled down to abut 7 minutes.

Redline on the TW Speed Calculator is about 45 MPH with the 70T sprocket so it's not suited for highway work. When geared for highway work, it's not suited for this stuff.

Ain't no motorcycle that can be a mule, Thoroughbred, quarter horse, and draft horse all in one.

Last edited by trailscout; 09-27-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    littletommy, Braden, B-dub and 3 others like this.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

That was awesome!
    Great riding too!
    Loved the ending...ha ha

My love for technical, tight single tracks is why I've kept the TW for over four years and 17,000 miles! I have a 14/54 setup and believe this bike to be so darn nimble and easy to control that I can nearly tackle anything in front of me. I've rocked the Rubicon trail twice with it too - which has no lacking of technical challenges. The downfall of TW are the whoops, the tight ups and downs and what the suspension, as you've mentioned, can't do.

Again, it's a completely different stead next to a trials, though I don't think it would disappoint you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links