What to look for?
Close

What to look for?

Hello tw200 forum!
    My name is evan and I'm from Albuquerque, NM. I am looking to getting a tw200 as my first bike. I just don't know much about bikes, and thought this must be a place to learn more.
    I just wanted to know if there were any major problems with a 1991 model and is that a good bike to start with. I will be mostly riding on street to trails around my house and dirt roads.
    Are these good bikes to learn to work on? I have no experience working with bikes. If I get this bikes what would you recommend I do to make sure it will run good for a long time.

Thank you so much,
    Evan

I don't know of any specific issues with the 1991 models. They came in two colors, one is called Onyx and is all black and one is like mine with black frame, white plastics and purple tank and seat.

things to look for IMO, tires, even if good they are probably old and hard. Chain and sprockets. Check for oil seeping around engine and base and if the bike is low miles it has sat a long time so a good carb cleaning and good look inside the fuel tank for rust is in order.

Good luck, hope you get it and post some pics.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I don't know of any specific issues with the 1991 models. They came in two colors, one is called Onyx and is all black and one is like mine with black frame, white plastics and purple tank and seat.

things to look for IMO, tires, even if good they are probably old and hard. Chain and sprockets. Check for oil seeping around engine and base and if the bike is low miles it has sat a long time so a good carb cleaning and good look inside the fuel tank for rust is in order.

Good luck, hope you get it and post some pics.

GaryL
    Thank you. The posting says new tank, carb, and chain. Im gonna go have a look either today or tomorrow! I'll tell you how it went!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I don't know where you are or what part of the country you are in. Depending upon the condition and his asking price, these bikes tend to sell pretty quick in many parts of the country and world.

If I can make a suggestion to all who lurk here, if it looks nice and is reasonably priced then if you're slow it will be gone.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

that seller might be a member here, since the bike has a Clarke gas tank. I'd offer less than that price

If the bike is sound, that's probably very close to a fair price.

You mention you'll be riding it to the trails so just know it will go 55 MPH and better, but not in all conditions. If highway travel is your major concern you may want to look at a different bike. Also, if your off-road riding style is such that you like to tear down the trails fast and get some air when possible, this is probably not the bike for you. It's more of a mule -- slow and sure footed, than it is a race horse -- fast and well... fast.

It's easier to work on than most bikes I'd imagine. There's nothing special you have to do to these bikes to keep them running well. Be diligent on regular maintenance and you should have few if any problems. Being that this will be your first bike, I'd encourage you to get it. It is more forgiving of mistakes than other bikes. You can always trade up later and that will be an easier decision when you're even more familiar with how and where you want to ride. Take the MSF Rider Course -- it's a life saver -- literally.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Sponosred Links