New to TW200 Forum
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New to TW200 Forum

New to TW200 Forum

Hoping to buy a TW soon. Just wondering if there are any female TW riders out there and what they think of their bikes. I may do mostly paved roads with some off road riding. Should I get street tires instead of knobby tires? Does the bike handle well on paved roads?

Hi Dragonlady,
    I am kinda new to the TW thing also.
    I haven't seen any ladies on here, but I'm new.
    Hope you find your ride soon.
    Welcome to the TW world.
    VDR
    Old As Dirt,

Living in Las Vegas and loving it.

Sure there are other gals on here with TWs. Not usually as vocal as us guys but the TW is a great bike for beginners. The tires are fine for what you want to do to begin with, just keep the air pressure right for the job and weight. The TW is a dual purpose, on/off road bike and as a result it does pretty good in either condition but does have limitations in both. They do fine up to around 55 MPH on the street and some can hit 65-70 but not cool IMO.

Do the maintenance as described in the owners manual and always check your oil level and other adjustments before you take a ride. The oil is checked with the bike in an upright position and not leaning on the kick stand. I put a small block of 2X4 under my stand on the garage floor and look to be between the lines in the sight window, just a little below the top line.

Some dealer shops have good, Real, mechanics and others don't! Your shops guy needs to be determined before you trust your bike to him. You can either learn your bikes needs yourself or find someone who can help keep things adjusted properly. I know gals who can turn a wrench as good as any guy and others who have a hard time filling the gas tank so you have to decide where you fit in that range. Bikes need to be maintained to get the most from them.

Dont be afraid to ask questions here, some of us are happy to help those who want to help themselves!

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

welcome!!! you are gonna love the tw and this forum !!! imho the front tire sad from factory on road or dirt. the rear tire is good in anything. we all do alot of mods to our bikes. i will post mine for you to see the things that are different from a stock tw.
    2006 tw200

Greetings! I don't know if there are any female riders on these forums, but yes, there's a good number of them out there. Check out the TW200 thread on ADV The Yamaha TW200 Thread... - ADVrider when you have some time (it's 200+ pages) there's quite a few photos/posts of/by the lady riders of the mighty TW. I do find it amusing the number of guys that "buy a TW for their wife" - I'm sure their wives ride them, but for some (or all, hehe) it's just an excuse to get a TW so they can ride it too .

Stock tires are ok as mentioned above, and some good street tires are available in TW size too. All depends on what you want/need out of your TW. I still ride on the stockers for both street and forest road. The TW handles great on road and off, but every dual sport is a compromise between the two. It's fantastic to learn on, very nimble and light (easy to pick up if it decides to take a nap :P ) and has a low seat height for the inseam challenged.

Good luck finding one if you decide a TW is for you!

Thanks to all of you for your responses and encouragement.

My wife started on a TW. It's a real confidence builder. Like most folks do she has since "moved up" to other, larger bikes for various purposes but the TW's are almost always our "go to" bikes. So much so that we have a difficult time justifying ownership of most of the others.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I wouldnt worry about the tires. The stock knobbies handle very well on pavement. You can scrape your boots if you want to. Welcome to the forum!

I am a female TW rider and I love it! I ride mostly street and I am going to switch to street tires when the stocks wear out. The t-dub is a great little commuter bike and is great on gas.
    vegasdesertrat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by frehley76 View Post
    I am a female TW rider and I love it! I ride mostly street and I am going to switch to street tires when the stocks wear out. The t-dub is a great little commuter bike and is great on gas.
    I knew we had some gals here hiding behind those TWs

The 1991 I bought in July was purchased for the guys wife to learn on and after she put 600 miles on it he bought her a Sportster and parked the TW for 20 years.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links