New to TW200's. Looking to buy!
Close

New to TW200's. Looking to buy!

This site has been a great source of information. Thank you to everyone for all the help!

I've been looking around for a TW200 for quite a while and I think I found a pretty good one but thought I'd double check with people who were more knowledgeable in them before I purchased it.

The one I'm looking at is a 2006 TW200 for $2200 (posted add below*). It looks like it's had some engine mods that push out 250cc now. I'm looking for a city and country road cruiser. Not necessarily a highway or interstate cruiser (since I know the TW200s have limitations) but if I run into a situation on the road and need the extra boost, it wouldn't hurt. Everything looks pretty good but the mileage and the modifications. I have a custom xs650 and messed around with some engine mods and they always seem to lead to other issues. Should I be worried about anything with this bike having a 250cc engine overhaul and the mileage being in the 20K range? Any help would be great!!

*2006 YAMAHA TW 200, BIG TIRES SMALL BIKE , 60MPG , this bike has been well cared for and is in excellent condition. Replaced cylinder and piston with 250cc , work done by professional mechanic , only has 20K miles , less than 500 since overhaul to 250cc. has a new chain and sprockets , runs great and I can offer a tank bag and three gallon tank if sold at asking price. This is a fun bike ! I am no longer riding off road so I am selling ! This bike comes with over $500.00 of accessories, so figure accordingly! Tires are 70% and new battery! This is a great bike and a real bargain! I even have a cruise control on this bike !

Regardless of who built it, Yamaha didn't. These bikes are pretty much bulletproof in stock form. And that's a ton of miles.

with the 'extras' mentioned, it maybe worth it. Decision is yours, TIM
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Personally, I'd ask how he got it to 250cc's. Only 500 since installed would mean that its probably not broken in completely. If the stock exhaust is still on it, the current owner probably isn't happy with the non-stellar performance from the upgrade that's trying to breathe through too small a straw (basically it needs aftermarket exhaust, larger carb, holes drilled in the airbox and a performance airfilter). Is the seller the professional mechanic? If not, find out who did the work and their thoughts on the internals of the engine (to get it to 250, there must be a new crank, piston & jug in it). The mechanic should have a clue. Ask who manufactures the parts, whether the jug was sleeved or a new jug... Sleeved jugs (cylinder) usually don't have the quality coating that the original does (shorter life possibly). Quality of parts and where they came from would be my biggest concern (if everything else checks out ok). If it's a bunch of "custom" work, I would stay away from it. If you like the bike, ask if you can take it to your own mechanic to have it checked out. As far as mileage, some members of this forum have much higher mileage TWs that still run like a top. Just remember, buying used means someone may or may not have taken care of it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I think I'll probably stay away from it. It sounds intriguing but after doing a ton of mods to my xs650, I kind of see where you're coming from with the whole "you change one thing you have to change other things" concept. I didn't know the difficulty of ramping up the cc's on this model. I'll keep looking! If you guys have any good advice on what to stay away from (model years and such) and what to specifically look for, that'd be great. Otherwise, I'll keep a close eye on this site and see what I can dig up.

Thanks!!

Anyone know what years had the kick start?

Where are you located ? I bought a 2007 for $2000 with 2500 miles and a few mods. I would look around if it were me for a lower milage bike. I was at bike week last week at Myrtle Beach SC and a friend of mine that lives there who has a Honda Shadow, loved my TW. I did a quick Craigslist and found a 2005 in Conway with 3000 miles for $1500. There are a lot better deals out there than someone else's frankinstein motor job. A stock motor with a 15 t front sprocket will hit 65mph wide open and cruise at 55mph at 6500 rpms

Quote Originally Posted by WonderWoman View Post
    Anyone know what years had the kick start?
    All model years from 1987 to 2000 came with both an electric starter and a kickstarter. Model years 2001 and up come only with an electric starter.

Welcome to the forum!

Brian

This thread contains a general lowdown on the advantages/disadvantages of the various years:

https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...t-year-tw.html

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I have seen that posting as it is not too far from me in southern Michigan. Here is a link to another one that is in the same area and is a great deal in my opinion.

1998 Yamaha TW200
    1991 TW200: Jimbo windshield, oversized foot pegs, quick release seat bolts, Tusk D-Flex hand guards, Yamaha luggage rack, Emgo trunk, 2 storage tubes, Bridgestone TW203/204 tires, LED taillight.

Like others have said, stick with stock and you will rock! Why a fellow spends all that time, money and effort to crank up the CCs is beyond me but I do suspect he knows something he is not telling as to why he is now dumping it! Around my parts any guy with a circular saw, hammer and pick up calls himself a carpenter! Mechanics come in similar forms. It is even hard to find a decent mechanic at a dealer.

I would automatically think the guy who built this one rode it near the top of its ability and blew it up giving way to the rebuild!

Go with the above, unmolested 1998 or keep searching for one with lower miles yet and in as great condition as you can afford.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Sponosred Links