Which app do you use?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Which app do you use?

Which app do you use?

So I've plotted my route for this month's solo trip out on google maps. I'll have no problem navigating because its a relatively simple route, but I figure that its a good time to iron out my preferred nav methods. Staying budget minded, I want to see if my iphone can meet the task first before dropping money on a garmin. So I downloaded DMorneault's GPS Tracks app. So far it's been a very helpful and interesting introduction to waypoint navigation. But it's sparked my couriosity to see what apps the forum might be using. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    1987 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear Rack, Tinman Tim's Side Racks [THANKS!], Action Packer Rear Trunk, Texsport waterproof luggage, 20w LED Spot Beam headlight, LED Bulbs for Rear Brake Light and Dash/Speedo, 12v marine auxiliary port, Coleman Seat Pad, Alloy Boltz kit.

"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." -A. Lincoln

Hidden Content

When I had an android smart phone, I downloaded BackCountry for topo maps. As far as field work, I liked it better than my Garmin. The screen is bigger, and the colors are more defined on the smart phone and it would actually plot tracks with the phone in my pocket. My Garmin doesn't do that. It was accurate enough for me, for most things, but not as accurate as the Garmin. The UI on the smart phone with BackCountry was infinitely easier to use than the Garmin (the touch screen helps). As a plus, you get to try the demo free for 30 days. I never really tested how it worked once I got home and on the computer.
    Moabman and jtomelliott49 like this.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Quote Originally Posted by retmotor View Post
    When I had an android smart phone, I downloaded BackCountry for topo maps. As far as field work, I liked it better than my Garmin. The screen is bigger, and the colors are more defined on the smart phone and it would actually plot tracks with the phone in my pocket. My Garmin doesn't do that. It was accurate enough for me, for most things, but not as accurate as the Garmin. The UI on the smart phone with BackCountry was infinitely easier to use than the Garmin (the touch screen helps). As a plus, you get to try the demo free for 30 days. I never really tested how it worked once I got home and on the computer.
    That app looks awesome for offloading.
    1987 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear Rack, Tinman Tim's Side Racks [THANKS!], Action Packer Rear Trunk, Texsport waterproof luggage, 20w LED Spot Beam headlight, LED Bulbs for Rear Brake Light and Dash/Speedo, 12v marine auxiliary port, Coleman Seat Pad, Alloy Boltz kit.

"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." -A. Lincoln

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Just make sure whatever app you choose can store maps on the phone and operate if the phone has no service. Where I ride there are some places where the phone won't cut it because it needs cell service to run the GPS.

^ Good point. BackCountry is not that way. Download the maps before you go though.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Motions gps is my off road preference.
    Richard (a.k.a. LiquidSilver)

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

91 TW200 aka "The Mule" :-)

03 VRSCA / 05 Polaris Sportsman 500 / Honda Helix CN250[/color]

Trimble Outdoors Navigator Pro for Android. I also use OpenSignal to locate cell towers if I am in an area where I need to get to cell service or have a weak signal.
    Last edited by Ice_Man; 10-05-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by retmotor View Post
    ^ Good point. BackCountry is not that way. Download the maps before you go though.
    I'm contemplating a budget TW GPS set-up and am leaning toward BackCountry with an old Android phone we have laying around. The original GPS phones relied on having a phone signal. The newer ones have a built-in GPS chip so they can operate without a signal. It appears the BackCountry maps require large amounts of memory (at least this was the case with the USGS map I tried). Maybe other map sources are less memory-intensive.

I have a good mount for the phone. I need to work out a "weatherproof" charging set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by scrambled View Post
    I have a good mount for the phone. I need to work out a "weatherproof" charging set-up.
    I've looked extensively, it seems that the simplest way is going to be routing my charging cord through my eventual tank bag and then run my phone through the transparent map screen on the lid. All the water proof options I saw are way too bulky and require me to remove my phone cover.

Back to my OP, after much more research, it seems that transferring your saved "My Places" maps on desktop google maps to your mobile google maps app is not possible. This would be my preference, as I could pre-plot my routes easily from a desktop, then see the routes dispayed in turn-x-turn display on my iphone, but google disable this once had feature because of apparent safety issues of people taking routes too literally.

So I'm still posed with the problem of navigating a pre-plotted route from my phone. I don't mind just using a road map, but I'd really like this over priced phone of mine to earn its keep. Thanks for any and all suggestions/feedback

Quote Originally Posted by scrambled View Post
    ... It appears the BackCountry maps require large amounts of memory (at least this was the case with the USGS map I tried)...
    A valid point. It worked well on my DroidX.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links