Which street tires?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Which street tires?

Which street tires?

To those of you that have used street tires, which do you prefer, the Shinkos or Bridgestones? I want to order a set this winter, but I am not sure which ones to get. I have done a forum search and there is not that much info. Thanks.

I've got the 203/204 combo and like them very much. Smoother than stock and they stick very well on pavement and you can still do some off-roading on them. Just don't try sand or thick mud.

I see the Shinkos are a little cheaper, I was wondering how the two compare. Thanks for the input I like the look of the bridgestones.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

There's a set of bridgestones for sale in classifieds. I'd jump on that.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

I've been running the Shinko's for over 5000 miles now. Haven't had any issues with loss of traction/grip in any condition. That being said, I tend to go around the big soupy mud puddles.

just after our last adventure we inspected for tire wear.

Fully loaded panniers, 20psi. Not even halfway to the wear-bars!

even cats don't phase 'em! TIM
    frehley76 and Braden like this.
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

one more thing I failed to mention. During break-in, you will want to take it real easy on the corners. Until the release agent wears off, they are a bit slippery.

also, want to point out that there is no tread 'edge'. Which means that while laying the bike over in cornering, you'll have 100% grip, right up to the point that you have zero grip. TIM
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Thanks Tim!

Quote Originally Posted by tinman tim View Post
    During break-in, you will want to take it real easy on the corners. Until the release agent wears off, they are a bit slippery.
    good advice right there for all tires...i've heard of people lightly sanding their tires to remove it but that's no fun

Yeah pay more for something that doesn't last as long. I've had the Shinkos for 4000+ now. Great tires.
    1987 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear Rack, Tinman Tim's Side Racks [THANKS!], Action Packer Rear Trunk, Texsport waterproof luggage, 20w LED Spot Beam headlight, LED Bulbs for Rear Brake Light and Dash/Speedo, 12v marine auxiliary port, Coleman Seat Pad, Alloy Boltz kit.

"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." -A. Lincoln

Hidden Content

i would like to see a review comparison between the 2 sets of tires but that will never happen...it all comes down to wear time and money...a set of the bridgestones cost what $40 more?...do they last a substantial amount longer than the shinkos before you're next tire change? if so then maybe that $40 is worth it...will they stick better and save you on a turn? (they would def worth it in this case, body and bike repairs are expensive)...do they instill confidence? maybe the $40 is worth it...which set vibes more?...which tread pattern will shed water/mud faster?...tires are either sticky and don't last as long or less sticky and last longer...take your pick cause you can't have both...performance or wear...since there is no real comparison for these tires we can't really say one is better than the other...but we are talking about a TW and it is only $40 so i am betting either set will be just fine and not break the bank...i buy my tires here...they seem to be pretty reasonable...

front
    130/80-18 - American Motorcycle Tire
    rear
    180/80-14 - American Motorcycle Tire
    frehley76 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links