Is this a good TW200 to buy?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is this a good TW200 to buy?

Is this a good TW200 to buy?

I've wanted to get one for a while now. Being in Salida Colorado, I have great trails just outside my door.

I found a used 2012 TW200 with 300 miles for sale close by, but it has a few issues. I went to look at it a found a broken tail light, fixed with tape, a bent back rim, and the thing would not run unless the chock was all the way out and then it idled really fast. I was not interested in buying one not running right, so the seller said he'd work on it to get it running better. He called back and said it was just bad gas in the tank and after riding it everyday for the last week it is running right now. Is this possible, or is something else wrong?

Also, the bent back rim worries me. Seem like it would take a pretty hard hit to dent it with such a big tire. The seller is a rental place, so even though it only has 300 miles, it may have really been abused.

What do you guys think? He is a asking $3990, but said please make an offer.

Thanks for any advice, as I'm really new to motorcycles.

Matt

I would be concerned about the bent back rim. Sounds like it may have been in an accident. Double check the condition of the frame for cracks / bends.

In terms of the price I bought my 08, with around 1000 miles on it for far less, also came with a few accessories.

And from what I gather some members here have managed to find brand new 2012 or later models at that that price from dealers who had them marked down.
    DonBenito likes this.

i agree...from a rental place it was either it was in an accident or it was ridden with the tire pressure far too low and took a big hit...got any pictures of the rim?...i would pass at that price...just having to buy parts to have to lace up a new rim would make me pass as well...a new TW goes for msrp $4590 ($600 difference)...that's not a good deal for the condition...look at an older one...same technology, cheaper and possibly better riding history

Super Sport Motorcycles, Super Sport Touring, Dual Purpose
    DonBenito likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That seems way high given that some dealerships are advertising new 2013 models for advertised $3,999 plus title/registration/sales tax but no setup or freight charges.

Also looking (in no particular hurry) for a TW and I have somewhat of a similar question about prices. As background I have a ‘06 XT225 with low miles that I bought a year ago from a Craigslist seller. He was asking $3,000 but dropped immediately to $2,200 when I mentioned that NADA from dealer in excellent condition was <$2,200 at that time. I gave that bike to my son and my old DR350 to my new son in law so I am now bike-less. I really like the xt225 but want to give the TW a try. There are a lot of used TWs for sale with very low mileage, a 8-12 year old bike with less than 3,500 miles isn’t rare and <1000 miles come up often. But the asking prices are usually really high, close to new prices. Completed Ebay sales show that the high reserve bikes typically go unsold, completed sales that I have seen for ‘01-’05 seem to go for <$2,200 and usually less than $2,000. You never know how much a Craigslist or other seller settled for.

So, if some owners of used TWs don’t mind saying, how much was the asking price, how much did you buy it for and for what year, mileage and condition? I don’t like dickering and don’t want the dreaded “low baller” accusation from sellers that I do contact, so I usually just avoid contacting sellers that are listing the high prices . You can’t tell which sellers are just hopeful and which are delusional so this info would be helpful in addressing the seller who thinks your offer is some ridiculous low ball.
    Last edited by like2wlz; 10-07-2013 at 05:25 PM.

rbm
    Pass on that one unless the rice comes way down, like $2000...
    DonBenito likes this.

low miles but that bike was run hard and abused......run away fast
    2005 Tdub

Rode "HARD" and put away wet....... (o; Keep looking................. OMM

Mel
    I purchased a really clean 1997 with 3700 miles, no dents, no scratches, no marks, always stored inside in June of this year for 1500.00
    Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    I purchased a really clean 1997 with 3700 miles, no dents, no scratches, no marks, always stored inside in June of this year for 1500.00
    Mel
    Nice find, do you mind saying what the original asking price was?

Thanks

Mel
    He was asking for 1750.00 That green stuff really talks loud once in a while.
    Mel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links