One Serious TW ADV Setup!
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: One Serious TW ADV Setup!

One Serious TW ADV Setup!

I'm in the process of building a trailer for my TW. I was poking around the net trying to find what happens to the handling if the hitch angle is too large or too small. Haven't found that answer yet but I did find this interesting setup.

r80rt and BugSpatteredJacket like this.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

can't tell, but if that is dual-tank front and rear that would have a range.... over 500 miles?!?! i'm surprised the trailer is plated and those plates look like washington, lots of territory there to wander.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

The man that built that up was a member here. He wrote about his journey with that setup on Advrider. Unfortunately he became ill during that journey and eventually passed some time later. One of the best setups ever done IMHO.
    r80rt and howardgene63 like this.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That certainly does look like a fabulous set up and a lot of excellent craftsmanship went in to it. I can't fault it at all!

Where I do have a major concern though is in the bike he used to plan this project. I mean, come on, the TW200 is a great bike but with something in the order of 16 horse power and adding all that wet weight I can't see that bike getting much over 40 MPH with a good tail wind fully loaded. Just some simple math will put that bike well beyond it's rated weight limits even before he locks the trailer on.

Just my ow opinion but I would have begun a project like that with a horse pumping more in the order of 650 CCs.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

The "Trail Wagon"!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -tcepilot Hidden Content
    --- Psalm 23 Verses 4-5 ----

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil,
    for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed
    my head with oil; My cup overflows. (New American Standard Bible)

The rig in the picture looks like TW2007's bike aka Macadam Drifter on the ADV site.
    A Solo TW200 Travels Eastbound WA to MN - ADVrider
    https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...tml#entry45946
    r80rt likes this.

Ain't it great to live in a place and time where some people ask why, and some people ask why not.....If you will take the time to search ADV Rider and read the thread about the build and trip you will have a better understanding. Macadam Drifter was his board name, a hell of a guy. I followed his adventure from the start, great read indeed.

There has been any number of trips and adventures with the "wrong" bike, and to the "wrong" place.....we have a bunch of crazies here on the TW forum doing wrong things all the time, take a look at Trailscout's videos.....TW's were not made to go where he takes them, but he rides them none the less and goes places men half his age would not go.......it's all good.

Mike
    joeband, r80rt, tinman tim and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelrider View Post
    The rig in the picture looks like TW2007's bike aka Macadam Drifter on the ADV site.
    A Solo TW200 Travels Eastbound WA to MN - ADVrider
    https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...tml#entry45946
    Thanks for the link. I have the entire thing saved. Hats off and God Speed to Macadam Drifter.

Here is his posted fuel mileage and speed on one leg of his trip.

"I started from Fairview Hall, a rundown building with a long history. This building served as a grange hall for many years; the social, educational, and political center for the northeast corner of the Kittitas Valley. From there we crossed the Valley and picked up US 97-the fastest speed was 55.5 mph per the GPS.

Fuel economy was 77.3 mpg from Ellensburg to Wenatchee and 66.7 mpg from Wenatchee to Grand Coulee. "

Hidden Content

I used a 10 degrees on mine, from what I've read that seems to be the sweet spot for hitch angle. There is some good info here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113997

Macadam Drifter's TW and trailer are legendary. Like a lot of you I followed his amazing journey to the end, it was an impressive ride. His story was a big inspiration for me to build mine.
    Last edited by r80rt; 10-18-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    I used a 10 degrees on mine, from what I've read that seems to be the sweet spot for hitch angle. There is some good info here. Dual Sport Trailer assembly thread - ADVrider

Macadam Drifter's TW and trailer are legendary. Like a lot of you I followed his amazing journey to the end, it was an impressive ride. His story was a big inspiration for me to build mine.
    I think you told me 10 degrees in an earlier post also. Being a motorcyclist I got to wondering, what happens over 10 degrees and what happens under 10 degrees. Mine is adjustable at the moment but it is set at 10 degrees.

My hitch frame is not that much different than DMC came up with. Much poorer quality workmanship though. Pick up the shock today from UPS and hope to have it finished by Monday.

Looking at Macadam's trailer, I can see a few spots to put fuel cans also. But the trailer is primarily to be dedicated to my dog Meka. It'll be named Meka's Chariot.

Took it for a short trip yesterday without the suspension. Had the swing arm C-clamped in place. I was surprised and pleased. I remember you reporting the same experience.
    r80rt likes this.

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links