Seat Comfort
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Seat Comfort

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH

Seat Comfort

I can get about an hour or so with my boney butt on the stock seat so I tried to im prove things with a Coleman. That was slightly better, but I wasn't happy with the fit so I'm thinking of getting a Seat Copncepts this winter. Just thought I'd ask, "is it that much better than the Coleman ?"

Thanks, Will

Check prices at local upholstery shops. I had the seat on my XS850SG done up with fabric made for snowmobiles. Cost less than $50.

A good upholster can add stiffer or softer foam, and change the shape, width, etc., to give you a real comfortable ride.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

I hate to think of the money I've spent over the past 40 years and 400,000 miles trying to find a comfortable seat for the many motorcycles I've owned. After trying Corbin, Rick Mayer, Russell Day Long, AirHawlk, various Gel seats, and a bunch of other seats and devices I can't rember, the only answer I've found that works and is reasonably priced is a Beadrider.....what the typical rider needs is airflow, not softer foam or any of the other buzz words that the seat builders throw around.

An old friend of mine told me many years ago that the key is to refuce friction and sweat. He was a horse owner and did a lot of trail riding....his answer to a better "saddle" was to wear a pair of cut off pantyhose under his levis. He said it made the interface between his A$$ and his levis smooth and slick and allowed him to ride for hours without pain....I could never bring myself to wear cut off panty hose.

Anyway, after it's all said and done....your A$$ is likely to hurt some regardless of what you do. For what it's worth, a bunch of the guys that do competitive endurance riding on a regular basis and do a lot of seat time, sit on a Beadrider.....and wear slick BVD's/Boxers, and no, I am not connected with Beadrider, just a mostly satisfied customer.

BeadRider ? Beaded Motorcycle Seats

Mike

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I really like the AirHawk on my super hard WR seat. I've used beads in cars. Bead rider on top of an Air Hawk might be really great.

I know one guy that wore speedos with bicycle shorts on top when riding the Baja. Claimed the sliding friction was contained to the surfaces of the two. Made sense to me.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by trailscout View Post
    I know one guy that wore speedos with bicycle shorts on top when riding the Baja. Claimed the sliding friction was contained to the surfaces of the two. Made sense to me.
    I don't see myself wanting to wear a speedo or cut off pantyhose, but this makes sense to me too. I wear 2 socks when hiking, a thin liner and a thick wool, and it prevents blisters.

I have added a couple of inches of firm foam to my seat under the ATV pad, mainly to raise it and to eliminate the forward slope of the seat...much more comfortable than having it flat. I asked Seat Concepts if they could do a "high" version for the TW, but they said no.

Quote Originally Posted by long distance rider View Post
    An old friend of mine told me many years ago that the key is to refuce friction and sweat. He was a horse owner and did a lot of trail riding....his answer to a better "saddle" was to wear a pair of cut off pantyhose under his levis. He said it made the interface between his A$$ and his levis smooth and slick and allowed him to ride for hours without pain....I could never bring myself to wear cut off panty hose.

Mike
    I have no shame, so I got some MSR Base Layer Short Skins - RevZilla Pretty much the same as panty hose.

They added about 50% to my riding limit! After a few months with a Coleman pad I pulled the cover off and inset a gel pad and then added a piece of sheepskin on top of the cover, just tucked under it stays put.
    Now I can do about 4 hours, then with a break or two maybe another three and only get slightly sore. I also use a kidney belt for low back support.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Rocky, where did you get the kidney belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodetrip View Post
    mainly to raise it and to eliminate the forward slope of the seat...much more comfortable than having it flat
    I just couldn't deal with that forward slope. Installed a KLX seat foam I had and now it slopes slightly back. I really like it for off road. On road trips it will likely get the AirHawk off the WR and maybe some beads too.

Off road I wear bicycle shorts with a gel seat. Also on some dual sport rides with levies. Tends to smooth out that thick seam that's in the wrong spot.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

The beads sound like a good idea to try. I've seen a lot of over the road truckers with bead covers in their rigs.

Air circulation, dry skin... makes sense to me!
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

I wear the sexy bikers shorts, spandex or whatever you call them under my pants if doing a long ride. It keeps you from getting monkey butt. The seat concepts is awesome in my opinion. My tw feels like a different bike. I road it 1600 miles in 4 days and my rear was fine when i got home. I rode my sv650 475 miles in about 9 hours when i was 10 years younger and i could hardly walk when i got home. It gets rid of that sliding forward issue that the stock seat has.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links