Please allow me to introduce myself
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Please allow me to introduce myself

Please allow me to introduce myself

54 year old male, have just acquired a >1400 mile '04. Bone stock strong runner.

Currently non rider, this first bike is to be the learner.

Looking at riding lessons at the local community college.

I have owned primarily manual transmission trucks, and currently ride bicycles, so hope the clutch and balance juju will transfer.

There's a reason most motorcycle schools have the TW in their arsenal. Easy to ride, easy to fix, light weight and just enough power to get you riding on secondary hwys (55mph). I had a 1200cc sportbike and love my TW. It is the one bike that I'll keep as others will probably come and go. Good luck and best wishes! These are stupidly fun bikes.
    Dubzha likes this.

Welcome Alan!

You're very smart to look into lessons. Might that be a MSF course? I took mine at a local community college and it was more than worth the money.

I came to motorcycling with similar experience in driving manual cages and riding bicycles, and while some skills certainly transfer motorcycling is a whole different skill set and a MSF class is probably the best way to get a running start up that learning curve.

Enjoy your TW and keep the rubber side down!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Must admit I don't know if it's an MSF course, or indeed what an MSF course is. Judging from the brochure, they use Honda Rebels...I'm not that tall, and the Rebel is still too cramped for me.

MSF is motorcycle safety course - sponsored by the Motorcycle Industry to promote cycle and safety - both good things. It will be that and should be because the MSF cert will help get your state permit and get an insurance discount.
    Your pedal bike experience will serve you well (defensive, but not counting on speed to safe your butt, attentive, and prepared for all kinds of weather). Don't brake in the turns, and watch for obstacles. What else is there? Ride it slowly around and around city streets until you get the shifting, balance, and control coordination. Then go for the highway and high traffic areas if you wish. Good riding. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Greetings and welcome!

MSF= Motorcycle Safety Foundation
    TW's are great learner bikes, used at many places for beginner courses. I took my MSF course on a Rebel 250 (I was disappointed to find out they didn't use TW's) and the ergonomics are fairly similar. The Rebel has a lower seat height by a couple of inches and the footpegs are a bit more forward if I remember correctly. The TW has a more upright seating position. Of course with your TW if you find it a bit cramped as well there are always handlebar risers and even different handlebars you can add to make the ergonomics more comfortable. I'm 5'11" and the TW is great, but I'd still like to add risers to make it even better. Lots of taller individuals ride them and with the proper adjustments the ergos are fine.

The learner courses are great, and even when finished with that I spent quite a few days tooling around a parking lot for even more practice (and still do). Low speed maneuvering and emergency braking are skills that always come in handy.

Have fun and enjoy your new TW!

I'm also 5' 11", and "so far" which just consists of sitting on it and practicing the controls, it seems fine. I realize this is hardly definitive.

Welcome Alan.

Your choice of TW200 is a good one. As mentioned above, "stupidly fun" is right on the money. So easy to tune to your liking, and doesn't have to cost a lot of money.

What part of the world are you located?
    ~ Brian

Life's too short to be in a hurry... Ride a T-Dub Hidden Content

2013 TW200
    2004 VTX 1300
    Hidden Content The Spirit of the Lizrd Rolls Forever.

a man of wealth and fame..... your reputation proceeds you.
    congrats on your new t-dub
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Ozarks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links