89 Pulled from Shed + Swingarm/Front end Question
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

89 Pulled from Shed + Swingarm/Front end Question

Found this 89 w/10k miles after running a "WTB" on craigslist for about 6 months. I wasnt able to give it the once over before purchase though as the guy lives far away and offered to deliver when he was passing through. I figure $200, for a bike that appears to all be there and has a title is an ok gamble.

Anyway, the story is that PO bought it about 10 years ago to ride during college. Never put it on the road though and just ended up riding as a dirt bike for a bit. It has been in shed now for 8 years. PO's PO swapped the front end out with, he believes, a RM 80 and also swapped the stock front wheel to the back.

With that, what do you guys think? Any ID on the front end? Should I go back to stock, stay or upgrade to something else? What of the swingarm, is it stock? I dont know enough about them to tell.

I bought an old one as my state allows for antique vehicle registration, thus no annual inspection or registration fees.

http://i.imgur.com/MCbuGqI.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/r3D4CxI.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/jE7y9ft.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/skYjAwK.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/faDrM3k.jpg
    Last edited by goldenhtr; 12-30-2013 at 06:43 PM.

At least he didn't fib to ya.

Swinger appears to be stock.

It appears that he has moved the front brake drum to the rear, then laced to the drum. The TW front drum provides a much better rear brake than stock.

Front end is indeed early RM. But the drum is much bigger than my RM80's front end. Possibly 125?

Nice score. I'd rock it as-is. looks like you've got the stock rear rim if you ever want to go back.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 10-30-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

If you need a winter project, there ya go. A frame with a title is worth $200.00. And, that's about all I would gamble on this one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
    If you need a winter project, there ya go. A frame with a title is worth $200.00. And, that's about all I would gamble on this one.
    IF it runs and the cylinder walls haven't pitted the only dealbreaker I can see are the pitted fork tubes, which you could probably eBay for 10 bucks. The rest is "sweat equity" and makeup. I wouldn't be too quick to put it back to stock. There are worse things than the changes the PO has made. All he's done is XT-ize a TW.

Give me that thing for two days and its own mommy won't recognize it.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Yeah my plan is to get it running first (oil, check/adjust vlaves, clean carb, clean tank, new fuel line) and then get it moving. The front tire is completely shot though so I will need new rubber. Not sure what to do about the front end in general hence my post. Like lizard said the tubes are pitted so maybe I should just go back to stock with them now? I will prob keep it pretty rough otherwise and just use it as a dirtbike for a bit. One that will let me shake it down and two it will give me time to decide what I want to do with it. I was drawn to the TW b/c of the reliability, community and aftermarket support. But I need time in the saddle to determine what path is right for my machine.

Good find, the kickstarter assembly alone is worth almost what you paid for the bike.

I will defer to Lizrdbrth's knowledge of the front end. The swingarm is stock, however it looks like an extension piece has been welded onto the tab that engages the slot on the rear brake mounting plate. Also, I can't quite figure out how he was able to mount and lace the rear wheel/hub/brake to the TW rear hub and end up with unused spoke holes on the sprocket side hub?

Oh well, as long as it works . . .

Keep us posted, and welcome to the forum.

Brian, take a look at the rear hub on his. The front brake drum on a stock TW bolts on to the hub, just like the rear. Same 3-bolt pattern. Except normally the rear drum does not hold spokes as it does up front.

All that was done here was to lace the larger diameter front brake into the rear in the same manner as the front. Pretty slick, actually.

You're correct, the engagement tab has to be shortened and the axle hole in the front backing plate needs to be bored to the same diameter as the rear axle. I'd be doing the same thing if I hadn't gone lazy mid-project. This pic shows a front drum bolted to the rear and the "normal" location of the rear spoke holes:

Of course you wouldn't need to do this if you wanted to keep the stock rear rim. You could just bolt it on as I have in the pic. But it's a pretty good way of dealing with the different front/rear spoke count issue when swapping rims.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 10-30-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hi Russ,

I understand the what he did on the brake side.

However, as you know, the stock TW rear wheel has a different spoke count than most wheels (fewer - maybe 32?) Take a close look at both the inside and outside views of the sprocket-side hub. There appears to be a regular spacing of open spoke holes. A regular TW hub on that side should have too few spoke holes or at least be filled up. Why would there be extra spoke holes and how would he have gotten a non stock hub on?

What am I missing?

Brian

Wow. Good call on that. The math calls for a 34 spoke rim.

I thought I'd just killed a fat rat for the LSR bike.

Now I gots to know. Maybe Dubya can count some stuff for us.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 10-30-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Brian, take a look at the rear hub on his. The front brake drum on a stock TW bolts on to the hub, just like the rear. Same 3-bolt pattern. Except normally the rear drum does not hold spokes as it does up front.

All that was done here was to lace the larger diameter front brake into the rear in the same manner as the front. Pretty slick, actually.

You're correct, the engagement tab has to be shortened and the axle hole in the front backing plate needs to be bored to the same diameter as the rear axle. I'd be doing the same thing if I hadn't gone lazy mid-project. This pic shows a front drum bolted to the rear and the "normal" location of the rear spoke holes:

Of course you wouldn't need to do this if you wanted to keep the stock rear rim. You could just bolt it on as I have in the pic. But it's a pretty good way of dealing with the different front/rear spoke count issue when swapping rims.
    That is exactly what I did with my wide front wheel. I used a BW200 front brake on a modified TW rear wheel, leaving the TW spokes intact.

100_3560.JPG

100_3547.JPG

(Sorry about the thread hijack . . .)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links