Hello Everyone
Close

Thread: Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone

Hello to all, Longtime lurker here and need some advice. I currently own two TW's a complete 87 w 1800 miles and an 07 w 500 miles in near new condition. Just getting over a pretty bad ankle injury and want to get back to riding. Need to sell one of the bikes to fund upgrades on the other. Having a hard time deciding which one to let go. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks

If I didn't owe any $ on the 2007, I'd keep it. The '87 is worth, what, $1,000.00, tops? -- depending on your area.

In my opinion: The '87 is the only real hinky year of all of the TWs (due to the potential CDI issue and the odd-man-out electrical system). However, as long as it works it is great.

If it were me I would keep the 2007 because there would be no worry about the '87 issues and all the other parts would have 2 decades less wear. Of course, you wont make as much money selling the '87.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sell the '87 and use the proceeds to fund the up grades. First on my list would be the kick start kit.

I have to agree with OWT & Fishguy the 1987 model is the least desirable of the lot. In my own personal daily search of the local CL adds I skip right over any 1987 models listed at more than a few hundred dollars as I consider this model year as parts donors. Those here who are well versed in electrical issues might differ but these quirks would give me fits.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

With two TW's, you have a lender bike for friends... I don't know of anyone that wouldn't immediately say sure, I'll cruise some woods with you on YOUR other bike. Are the upgrade(s) absolutely necessary right NOW? I ride mine (03) bone stock with even the "crappy" chain. I'm happy with it and will upgrade little by little and a piece at a time. I totally get the "I want this, that and the other thing" mentality of upgrading a bike and doing everything at once does sound appealing, but "instant" full blown gratification based on desire will often lead to the phrase: "I wish I would've..." after it's too late. You also have a bunch of "spare" parts of the other TW. Something breaks on the newer, take it from the older. Want that kickstart on the newer... All of the parts that you could scavenge are less than you'd pay for new since you already own them on the older. CDI still works? How much could you sell that for alone? How about the rest of the parts?

Patience is considered a virtue by the wise through experience.
    Go boldly where others dare not follow.

I agree with CJ7_TW. If it runs, I'd keep it. Use it as a loaner or a parts donor for the 07. If you really need the cash, the sum of the whole bike is worth less than the parts. Parting it out would likely net you a bigger return than selling it - but of course takes more work and effort.

If I had a donor (non running - I'd feel bad tearing apart a runner personally but I'm funny that way ) the kickstart would be the 1st to get pulled and transferred. 2nd, I'd be looking at taking the rear wheel and converting it to a front wheel. Double Dubya Take the swing arm, get it extended and put an ATV tire on the back (if the extension went horribly wrong - pffft, still have a good one to keep riding). Lots of things come to mind. I guess it's a good thing I don't have a donor bike

Thanks for the input guys, I'm thinking CJ7_TW and HappyHiker might be right about just keeping it. My plan for the 87 was some kind of hollow mod when I bought it. The 07 is fine stock for now. I guess patience is the key here, huh?

Patience and disposable income. I guess one just has to determine want from need as well.

My '06 is bone stock down to the chain as well as far as the bike is concerned. I'm happy with the bike in it's basic form - the mods I mentioned above aren't neccessary at all, just something fun to think about if I had a parts bike laying around. I have added a few things over time that I deemed I wanted and added functionality to the bike itself - cycleracks, seat pad, tail box and handguards. A couple of sets of cheap saddlebags and a backpack for a tank bag. Starting to work on an XT350 tank mod to add fuel capacity, and got a kickstart kit to install at some point. A skid plate is next on my list. One piece at a time, and everything except the kickstart kit and cycleracks was relatively inexpensive. Do I need any of it? Nope. Just stuff I want, and I'm in no big hurry (and not independently wealthy either).

Sponosred Links