SF Bay Area -- Doc Wong's Dual Sport Riding Clinic
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By elime

Thread: SF Bay Area -- Doc Wong's Dual Sport Riding Clinic

SF Bay Area -- Doc Wong's Dual Sport Riding Clinic

Last Friday (11/1/'13) Darrell and I attended Doc Wong's Dual Sport Riding Clinic. It was a free two part course with Friday being the lecture part -- meeting in his office -- and Sunday being the practical part meeting at Clear Creek for a 135 mile or so group ride. Sadly neither Big D nor I opted for the ride because it was to far away, to cold and met to early in the morning. (Maybe next June or so it will be a different story.)

The lecture covered things like body position, balancing, cornering in dirt, riding in ruts, hill climbs, hill descents, front wheel skidding, rear wheel skidding, wheelies, etc. etc. There were video examples of each and how to do it. The first part of Sunday's ride he goes over the lecture but you practice on your motorcycle. He says if you can't make the ride then practice on your own, which I did on Saturday. After about an hour of doing the exercises he recommended I was tired and sore and I had a much better appreciation of what he was trying to accomplish. His philosophy is the better rider you are the more fun you will have -- can't really argue with that.

For those that ride in the SF Bay Area sooner or later your path will cross with Doc Wong's. He has had over 40,000 attendees in the last 20 years of giving all kinds of riding clinics and I can say it was worth the time attending it.

Doc-ride Info Page

Dirt Riding Techniques

Doc Wong Riding Clinics-SF Bay Area (Belmont , CA) - Meetup
    TW-Brian likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    For those that ride in the SF Bay Area sooner or later your path will cross with Doc Wong's. He has had over 40,000 attendees in the last 20 years of giving all kinds of riding clinics and I can say it was worth the time attending it.
    I agree with Tony and have participated in a number of Doc Wong's free clinics including his motorcycle first aid class, motorcycle service class and his dirt riding clinic at Hollister Hills. Always had fun and received a lot of good information.

Is Clear Creek open for off-road riding again?

Brian

I attended the class with Tony (elime). I started out riding dirt long before riding on the street. Once I started street riding I had felt I was much better dirt rider. As time went on (and I got older) I realized my dirt riding abilities were waning, and street riding was way easier. I became complacent in the dirt. No longer catching air over jumps, donut turns, back wheel slides etc, and more fearful of the inevitable fall.

Attending Doc Wong's class gave me the opportunity to re-enforce some things I already knew, and enlightened me to some things I didn't know. The concept of "Baby Steps" was a reminder to recapture some of my lost skills will take time and practice. Will I get them all back? Not likely, as age is now the major wild card in the formula.

But the class/clinic was a good refresher and well worth the time. Maybe next time we can go on the ride.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

i have looked at those for a couple of years now and have wanted to attend. i'm glad to hear they are worthwhile. i'd be game to catch one in the spring.

and to top it off the guy does scuba classes too!
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

That's really cool. I'd definitely attend something like that if it was offered in my area. I keep looking at the dualsport DVD's which appear to convey the same sort of skillset training. WS23 stated it well - most of my dirt riding skills acquired long ago are quite rusty and a refresher would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post

Is Clear Creek open for off-road riding again?

Brian
    Clear Creek is still closed but (according to Doc) unmaintained county roads that cross it are open -- and it is a really big area, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Clear Creek is still closed but (according to Doc) unmaintained county roads that cross it are open -- and it is a really big area, if you know what I mean.
    I do know what you mean!

I only had the chance to ride Clear Creek once before they closed it. It made Hollister Hills feel like I was riding at Metcalf, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    It made Hollister Hills feel like I was riding at Metcalf, if you know what I mean.
    I have been to Metcalf once and I know exactly what you mean!

Sponosred Links