Well that was Sketchy. Winter Commute
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By stephenmarklay
  • 2 Post By littletommy

Thread: Well that was Sketchy. Winter Commute

Well that was Sketchy. Winter Commute

First real day of winter today and we got some accumulation. It was a bit slippery this morning and decending the hill I live on was a bit sketchy. A lot of cars were moving at a snails pace and sliding sideways into guardrails.

I chose riding on the side of the road. It was a bumpy ride but there was a little traction. I came to a big hole of sorts and had to navigate on the road and there was little traction to be had.

I had both feet down and was almost riding on the tank to maximize my stand over. I don't think I will gripe about the seat being too low again.

Anyway I started to slide a bit and then I was going sideways and I actually think I was pointing a bit backwards at one point . I managed to stay up and get pointed in the right direction and made it down the hill. A lot faster than just about everyone else too.

Once I got to the highway it was just wet but not very slick.

Tonight was not really slippery but with the reflections off of the pavement, water on my face shield and poor Tdub light it was a least a bit of a challenge.

All in all the TW pulled through and I don't think I would have been better off on any other bike.

Top priority: some strap style chains and some lighting improvements.
    Last edited by stephenmarklay; 11-05-2013 at 08:34 PM. Reason: WOW a lot of errors :(
    littletommy likes this.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Glad you made it safely. Sounds like an adventure just going to work ....for you. I believe a few TW'ers have used chains. The ice and wet evening conditions do cause one to have a bit of a "pucker" while navigating....you did well!.

Sir, you are a beast. I applaud you! I am a Minnesota boy myself and have all but stopped commuting. Too scared of the black ice, I guess. Cost of a doctor bill would eclipse any fuel savings I might enjoy riding the Mule. Ever think of getting carbide screws?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks 50short. I am doing just that. I am going to order some carbide tip screws. I am deciding on a new front tire to use.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Just so you know how dedicated Steve is, you should know that it was the first snow this year in Spokane and there were 80 - 100 wrecks that morning, it was a major mess everywhere and it kept up all day. It's no picnic getting where he was going either. There are odd banked roads, some of the worst potholes in the country, wagon tracks, bad bad hills in snow, and some real crazy drivers.

...and still the Lone TW motorcyclist rolls on...slowly fading into the distance.
    stephenmarklay and admiral like this.

With a commute like that, I'd be experimenting with a sidecar/hack. Screws or chains would be nice but with other stretches of them not being needed would keep you at a slower pace and the chance of a chain coming off somehow would keep me at wits end and whiteknuckling the bike which is never good.
    Go boldly where others dare not follow.

I ride through the winter, in Maine. never been pointed backwards before, but if I was I prob would have dumped the bike. nice work!
    2012 TW200, 1993 KLR650, 1992 GSX750F

Sponosred Links