Running a car tire for winter?
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By skippyboyo2
  • 1 Post By lizrdbrth

Thread: Running a car tire for winter?

Running a car tire for winter?

Yes I know car tires make people quiver but I wonder if a dedicated snow tire may work on the the TW. They certainly don't look like they can turn but I have read of folks on bigger bikes having good results.

This is what I am thinking:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

I think someone, Lizrdbrth I think, did some research on this a long time ago. Since you use your TW to commute, maybe you should consider one of those ATV tires. Just a thought.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

really strange reading things like this, we in the UK dont change anything on our cars or bikes and then when the snow comes the country simply grinds to a holt.

No one can get to work, buses stop as do trains along with airplanes etc.

Strange how you guys can simply carry on in terrible conditions where as we do get snow but we cant say when and at its deepest its probably a foot and everything stops.

I cant wait until it snows as i shal be out on the TW every night!
    stephenmarklay likes this.
    View my build/off road riding here with lots of pics and vids Hidden Content

Uk TW/ Suzuki LTZ250 off road rider only

Flat out or back out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

What is the reason for wanting to use a car tire? I have seen them used for long distance heavy bikes, but a TW-why?

I agree with Admiral. The problem with car tires is that they don't flex, even when aired down. Great in a straight line, but they only ride on the squared edges in even a very slight turn. The TW doesn't have enough weight to keep the tread face parallel with the road. I'm a desert dweller but it snows often enough here that I can tell you that the stock TW knobby is better than most on snow, but not great. On ice it's no better than anything else.l

I think an ATV tire would be a better choice.

But if you're gunna play with "darksiding" with car tires at least know the risks. Unless you find one which literally falls onto the bead the stiffer bead of an automotive tire can be a bit problematic. Read the entire thread, which shows a few things such as how the tire rides on its edge, and how it starts out with me thinking I'd killed a fat rat and ends in what could have cost me my head. Be just as careful about ATV tires for the same reasons:

https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...-mt-762-a.html

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 11-06-2013 at 08:38 AM.
    littletommy likes this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks you guys. Well all some of my thoughts are not very fruitful

Smathersfish, I only looked at this for winter traction. Winter car tire treads and compounds are very good.

I will keep searching for THE solution.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Sponosred Links