Rather obvious handling/suspension observation
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rbm
  • 2 Post By rurlndum

Thread: Rather obvious handling/suspension observation

Rather obvious handling/suspension observation

This is not rocket science but I had not really paid attention to this until today. At my 190 pounds the rear suspension it pretty soft. However, I found that if I sit closer to the tank I load the bike more even and it handles much better. It also notice how much better it absorbs the bumps with a closer to 50/50 bias.

I may be the only one that did not realize this. On my bigger bikes it is not so noticeable since I make up less of the total mass and the suspension is better.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Yep, the farther back I sit, the more I feel like it's a springboard ready to launch me to the moon. Accidently, I sit further towards the gas tank like you mention. Standing helps absorb the bumps nicely as well...I just hate standing!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

SInce we are on suspension, I'm 185 pounds and my front shocks seem hard/harsh to me. I live where the paved roads are no lines and sort of rough, so I feel as if I have too harsh of a set up , up front. As far as I know I'm running all stock. 2007

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by Little General View Post
    SInce we are on suspension, I'm 185 pounds and my front shocks seem hard/harsh to me. I live where the paved roads are no lines and sort of rough, so I feel as if I have too harsh of a set up , up front. As far as I know I'm running all stock. 2007
    I think you may be bottoming out on bumps, My 2005 (should be the same as yours) is very soft and will bottom easily. I have new springs and oil to install next and will be looking into either a rear spring or omplete shock in the future.

rbm
    While we're on the topic, does anyone have the actual dimentions and spring rate of the rear shock? I'm going to look into having an Ohlins shock made for mine.
    stephenmarklay likes this.

Dirt bikes have long seats for a reason. Move forward to load the front tire in corners and move back to unload it in the soft stuff. You should be sliding back and forth all the time you are off road to adjust for the conditions.

Street bike seating positions are fixed in place because they don't usually go off road.
    littletommy and 66roadkill66 like this.

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    While we're on the topic, does anyone have the actual dimentions and spring rate of the rear shock? I'm going to look into having an Ohlins shock made for mine.
    Scraped this idea, not worth the investment... Ordered a spring from Procycle today.

I was going to mention the Procycle,but figured you knew and wanted a mega shock?. Let us know how it works for you.

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    I was going to mention the Procycle,but figured you knew and wanted a mega shock?. Let us know how it works for you.
    Will do. If the new spring for the shock makes as much difference as the fork springs did I'll be very happy.

I am sure that both front and rear spring will make this a lot less noticeable. I certainly intend to do them both.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Sponosred Links