Rims......why not TW's.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rims......why not TW's.

Always noticed that ROKONS and ATV's have non-spoked rims and ROKONS run tubeless tires. Why is it that the aforementioned can run them,but TW's and the rest of the off road 2 wheel bikes can't / do not?. Thanks.

Are you asking why TW wheels can't have tubeless tires or why they have spokes?
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    2015 WR250R - Bored, stroked
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am
    Stolen - 2007 Trailblazer SS
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    1977 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 710M

2 Timothy 1:7

spoked wheels are not air tight hence needing tubes
    View my build/off road riding here with lots of pics and vids Hidden Content

Uk TW/ Suzuki LTZ250 off road rider only

Flat out or back out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Well you can have tubeless spoked wheels but the TDUB does not have them.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Dollars and sense!

Yamaha made the wheels to fit the TW and no other company has found it a worthy project to design, fabricate and market any other wheels for the TW.
    OCC ( Orange County Choppers) is not far from me and practically in member Gregors back yard. I am positive they could make or have made any type of wheels you would be willing to pay for. They make them all the time for the choppers they build and for a TW they would not need to be super fancy.

Who in their right mind would be willing to pay the price to get a solid aluminum, spoke less wheel specifically made to fit a TW?

The TW will be 30 years old in less than 3 years. Yamaha could easily make an Anniversary Special Edition Trailway that could have all the nice little extras we all tend to add and they could have specially made wheels to make it stand out big time. Don't hold your breath because in the grand scheme the TW is likely not on the list for any special make over and is certainly not major money maker for them. At the basic price of right around $4,000 we get what they give us and have to work from that platform.

There probably is such a wheel already on some bike that could be retrofitted to the TW. Go take a look at some of the Japan forum sites and you will probably see exactly what you want on a few of the wild TWs those guys build.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    Always noticed that ROKONS and ATV's have non-spoked rims and ROKONS run tubeless tires. Why is it that the aforementioned can run them,but TW's and the rest of the off road 2 wheel bikes can't / do not?. Thanks.
    It has to do with spoked wheels being more flexible and able to take the bashing we give them better. Rokons and ATVs depend on their large low pressure tires for that. If you have spokes you have to run a tube unless you have a new BMW R1200GS WC with cross spokes, which has spokes coming from OUTSIDE the bead on the rim and thus can use tubeless tires. (an elegant and expensive solution!)
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

The spokes on tubeless spoked rims do not penetrate the center of the rim. By design they involve a much more expensive manufacturing process and are generally only found on high-end bikes. Next time you're in the vicinity of a BMW GS, take a look at the rims. Then look at the window sticker. That should help put things into their proper perspective.

Solid and cast wheels wheels do not yield or flex when they hit stuff. They bend or break. Their weight is typically double that of spoked wheels, etc. Basically they don't do good stuff for us, but are a necessary evil on large heavy quads and such.

Low tire pressure serves as the Rokon's suspension. On some models the rims are designed to hold liquid. Very different critter.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    It has to do with spoked wheels being more flexible and able to take the bashing we give them better. Rokons and ATVs depend on their large low pressure tires for that. If you have spokes you have to run a tube unless you have a new BMW R1200GS WC with cross spokes, which has spokes coming from OUTSIDE the bead on the rim and thus can use tubeless tires. (an elegant and expensive solution!)
    You're three minutes smarter than me. I need to get up earlier.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

You could go to a marine store and pick up some 3m 5200 sealant.

Description
    5200 is a one-part polyurethane that chemically reacts with moisture to
    deliver strong, flexible bonds. It has excellent adhesion to wood, metal, gelcoat and fiberglass. It forms a
    watertight, weather-resistant seal on joints and boat hardware, above and below the waterline. In
    addition, its flexibility allows for dissipation of stress caused by shock, vibration, swelling or shrinking.

Features
    • Tough/flexible polyurethane polymer • Non-shrinking • One-part moisture cure • Long working time

Then.....

And

Taken from my post https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...be-size-2.html

OR

Fit a small trailer tire to the back of the bike. Epic skills needed (The link on how to do this 25 x 8 x 12 ATV Tires - Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum )

Last edited by rm_hm; 11-14-2013 at 04:10 PM.

I've read positive and negative about making spoked wheels tubeless using spoked wheels. On one of my dirt bikes I run a TUBliss system. Kind of a pain but trials tires can be ran flat with the system where otherwise they fall off the rim.

But for the TW stock rim, the putty would be the only way to run tubeless. But be advised, riders have found that running tube type tires with the TUBliss system can be a problem. Some tube type tires tend to weep air they were not designed to hold.

But if you use an ATV tire on a stock TW sealed rim, that should be ok if the putty doesn't finally turn loose.

Back to the main topic, the traction and hook up of a M/C is closely related to the unsuspended weight of the rear drive. Suspension and unsuspended weight. That's what hook up is all about and what determines it. Spoked wheels are lighter, less unsuspended weight. Better hook up. Rokons don't have suspension. It's all suspended weight. The wheel is essentially part of the frame.

More to come on this subject in the very near future.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links