Just joined, saying hello, with a few questions
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Just joined, saying hello, with a few questions

Cool Just joined, saying hello, with a few questions

Hi everyone. I just joined last night, I'm very seriously thinking about getting a TW by next Spring. I have been riding since 6 years old, and have never been without a bike since. Raced MX for a long time, but only had street bikes for the passed 20 years. Yeah, I'm old...lol. I don't want to spend more than I have to for a decent bike, so I'm doing my home work. That being said, are there any years that are better than others? Or years to stay away from? I'd be riding 60% street, 40% dirt. I pretty much know what to look for in a used bike, since I've been a motorcycle mechanic most of my life. Also, where online has alot of aftermarket goodies/stuff for these bikes? Any input or advice would be appreciated. Are these TW's really as fun as they look? I need to get back to my roots, and hit the woods, and sandy trails of the NJ Pine Barrens.

Thanks
    Bob...

Get a 88 or later, the 87 can have CDI problems, although I have had no problems with mine. Earlier models had kick starters, later models didn't. You want a kicker. Earlier models had drum front brakes, later models have disc. Really no difference in them in my opinion. Procycle has a great page with stuff for TWs.

Yes, TWs are lots of fun and you can do a lot with them to make a great adventure bike.

Welcome to the forum Bob, you will enjoy the simplicity of a TW.

Yamaha TW200 Parts and Performance - ProCycle

Welcome Bob!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Lizrdbrth wrote a post on the "Good, Bad and the Ugly" or something like that, that explained the different years and problems and pro's/con's from year one to the present, but I couldn't find it.

help..Lizrdbrth.

rbm
    Hello and welcome!

Actually, the best deal when buying a used TW is finding someone like yourself. These bikes seem to attract older buyers (I'm 64). Many of them ride it a couple times a year around the camp ground and that's it. I usually put less than 500 miles a year on my '95 (in fact, I think 1990 to 2000 models have everything one needs). 10 year old bikes with less than 1000 miles are common. Some are very well maintained. Some have sat for 10 years. I go look at every sub 1000 mile TW I see listed. I don't need another one but some of the deals are too good to miss.

Welcome aboard. This a fun forum.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'll be 51 in Jan. Front disc is a given, as well as electric start. I have a major back problem which effects my right leg. My budjet is $4,000, but don't want to dump it all on a new bike. My MX helmet, and boots don't fit anymore, so need funds for goodies, etc. Plus, I've never been known to leave anything stock. I've mellowed, so it only being a 200 is not an issue. In season, I'd be riding 20+ hours a week. Thanks for the Pro Cycle link. I'll check it out for sure.....
    Last edited by Werloc; 11-13-2013 at 04:09 PM.

FYI - use searchtempest to browse multiple craigslist areas at once.

Quite a few old bikers on this forum, whom over the years, have become more and more disabled in some way or another...leaving the mighty TW as a favorite. With it's low seat highth, electric start, big shock absorbing tires, dependability and a well proven powerful enough engine that is easy to work on, it's a no brainer. It's a great round town bike or offroad bike that requires almost no warm up time, and will virtually take you anywhere. Lot's of upgrades are possible to make a round the world adventure bike, but really; the mighty t-dub would do it stock. You will enjoy one of these little bikes. You can get great help on this forum too!!
    Last edited by littletommy; 11-13-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Welcome. lots on this great forum to read up on. You can even find other members to ride with in your area.
    joeband likes this.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links