9 digit VIN number on bike, confused
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 9 digit VIN number on bike, confused

9 digit VIN number on bike, confused

Hi everyone! long time lurker finally posting for the first time.

I've been living in Cambodia for a year now and just recently purchased a modified TW200 imported from Japan (lik 3 months ago). I am now coming around to figuring out what year the bike is, just to get the proper manuals and stuff and to keep in mind when getting new parts. I know that the bike is pre 2001 due to the front drum brake. The obvious thing would be to check the VIN number on the neck of the bike for the 17 digit code and run it through one of those decoders. Yea, my VIN number on the neck is 9 digits. I have been searching for an answer to this and I cannot come up with anything. The picture below shows the neck of the bike and the associated VIN and a sticker attached to the frame as well.

Any help will be appreciated on finding out the year of the bike. Also, I'm just curious to know as to why the number is 9 digits...

Thanks!

2013-11-14 17.53.05.jpg
    2013-11-14 17.29.59.jpg

The 17 digit thing is almost exclusively in Western markets. JDM and Asian market bikes use their own system.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 11-14-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    Drive sideways likes this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks for the quick reply lizrdbrth.

If the usual 17 digit VIN decoders will not work, any ideas on how to figure out the year of the bike? I've search online extensively and I am still stumped!

Thanks for the help again

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Call or email Yamaha?

Maybe someone fluent in Japanese could step up and pose the question to a Japanese site or directly to Yamaha, Japan as LT has suggested.

I'm sure there was some correlation of tank color options to specific model years, if nothing else. That may help narrow it down.

My thin (and possibly incorrect) understanding is that while minimal info is included in their numbering system the supporting paperwork (pink slip?) matching the vehicle is very specific in details due to the Japanese vehicle inspection and mandatory scrapping program.

I could contact Yamaha, USA on your behalf but that generally doesn't yield very good results. The two entities don't seem to like to communicate with one another in my experience.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 11-17-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Also you could try this: I presume Cambodia has license plates?. If so,the VIN had to be given to their Bureau of motor vehicles for proper plates,taxes etc. So,if you have a "buddy" that is in Cambodias Law enforcement,perhaps he / she could "run" the plate and adivse the date of the bike?. Just a thought.

I might have to just email Yamaha in Japan and see what they come up with (if I can find a way through the Japanese with google auto-translate). About the tank color, it's been painted when it was modified, so that will be of no help I think.

About the license plates and asking the someone in the gov't/police, not likely to do any good in Cambodia. The way things work here, it's kind of a functioning anarchy. I know it's gonna sound bad, but I have not even registered the bike and have no plates yet, which is not an issue at all here as the police do not care (not that they would chase you anyway, they just sit there). I've met like 2 people that actually have drivers licenses, and with me that would make 3. So yea, that is likely to be a dead end, but thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the replies everyone
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

20131116_115519.jpg

9 digit VIN on my new AG200E from Japan

MP

2JL-048825

Perhaps MP can walk into the dealer where he just bought his and ask them to look it up, since they have the same numbering system.

I'm going to guess it's a 1993. The 2JL signifies TW200E, but the year is usually part of the last 6 digits. In those days Yamaha would reserve serial number ranges to identify model years by changing the first couple of digits. 000001 would be one model year, 100001 would be another, 030001 would be another, etc. On most older Yamaha's numbers starting with 040001 were 1993 model bikes. Do you have the engine number by any chance? It can also provide a clue to the year.

I'd suggest emailing Yamaha customer service in an english speaking Pacific Rim country like Australia and ask them to decode it. They most likely will have access to the information you need.
    GapRunr

Current bikes TW200 * R1200GS ADV * R80g/s * KLR250 Miami Vice Edition * Hawk GT - For sale!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links