what tools are riders carrying?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: what tools are riders carrying?

what tools are riders carrying?

New to the off pavement riding, just like to see what riders here are packing on the bike for tool kits.
    I have the tool tubes coming so I was looking for ideas to put in them besides fuel.

Thank you for your insight ahead of time.

Dan

Because photos make posts better,

Thus far, I carry the stock tools that come with the bike. But if I had a tube, I'd put a wrench with the correct sized sockets in it along with a small tube of chain lube - not sure about extra fuses? Tire fix kit - the greasy plug type... you have a tire pump?
    God is great and beer is good and people are crazy.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub
    2011 Kubota L3200 4x4 with a bucket Hidden Content

Hidden Content

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by OSOK View Post
    Thus far, I carry the stock tools that come with the bike. But if I had a tube, I'd put a wrench with the correct sized sockets in it along with a small tube of chain lube - not sure about extra fuses? Tire fix kit - the greasy plug type... you have a tire pump?
    The greasy plug type tire repair kit will do you no good for tube type tires...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Not even sure if the quick snap off tire repair kit would help with tubed tires but i bring that and the standard tools that came with the tw200.

I use the factory tool kit plus a 10 & 12mm wrench and a leatherman. The ones with the kit are so weak that when i try to loosen the front brake caliper that the wrench flexes open and will round off before loosening the caliper bolts. I carry a rear tube, air compressor, tire tools, patch kit, valve stem removal tool and a crescent wrench. If im on a trip i takes fuses, zip ties, always have a spark plug and masterlink.

I replaced the stock wrenches with good ones, replaced the plyers with 4" needle nose vice grips, added a small ratchet, 2" extension and 8, 10,12mm sockets, a couple of allen wrenches. I also carry three good tire levers, automotive patches and glue with a small air compressor. I keep a few zip ties in the saddle bag, along with a roll of tape, and 6 feet of electrical wire. A few common small nuts and bolts, master link, fuses, I always have a multi tool and cell phone on my belt. One of my saddle bags is devoted to tire repair tools and a small first aid kit, The flat repair tools have saved me more than once. The other one carries my cook kit, coffee, and food. I go into some desolate places alone and have to be self sufficient, I don't travel with out my bags.
    Last edited by r80rt; 11-18-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    littletommy and eli like this.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    I replaced the stock wrenches with good ones, replaced the plyers with 4" needle nose vice grips, added a small ratchet, 2" extension and 8, 10,12mm sockets, a couple of allen wrenches. I also carry three good tire levers, automotive patches and glue with a small air compressor. I keep a few zip ties in the saddle bag, along with a roll of tape, and 6 feet of electrical wire. A few common small nuts and bolts, master link, fuses, I always have a multi tool and cell phone on my belt. One of my saddle bags is devoted to tire repair tools and a small first aid kit, The flat repair tools have saved me more than once. The other one carrys my cook kit, coffee, and food. I don't travel with out my bags.
    Ditto

I always feel like I bring too much, but there's been a few times where I've needed almost all of it. I'd rather carry too much than be stuck in the middle of nowhere, an hours ride or more from the closest town and no cell signal (which has happened and is why I bring so much now).
    r80rt and eli like this.

Mel
    r80rt, I hope you move that first aid kit to the top of the list. It is the one thing I make a priorty.
    Mel
    r80rt likes this.

I like taking this tool roll along, along with a lockback knife (no serrations, please!) and the needlenose Leatherman Squirt I always keep on my keychain. The little Leatherman's usually the only thing I use, but when me or a riding buddy needs something else, the tool roll pays all of the back rent it owes me!

-Angled needlenose pliers
    -Needlenose vice grips
    -Angle cutters
    -Sm. regular vice grips
    -Allen Key set
    -J-B Weld (in the baggie there)
    -Spare spark plug
    -Mini CO2 tire inflator (no spare canister in the pic, usually have one)
    -Ratchet handle (got a 13mm deep-well socket in the far right pocket, sometimes I take others or none)
    -Mini-roll of yellow duct tape
    -Adjustable wrench
    -Shop towels
    -Bundle of zip-ties
    -Chain breaker
    -Tire pressure gauge
    -Spare master link (looks like I've got a leftover non-O-ring one too!

I could prolly stand to lose a few items and add a few others, but all in all this kit has served me well.
    wbpolk, r80rt and eli like this.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Mel, My first aid kit is small, but good. My daughter in law is a nurse and she fixed me up pretty darn good.
    Mel likes this.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links