Hello! New to motorcycling.
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Hello! New to motorcycling.

Junior Member Lemon Meringue Pie's Avatar

Hello! New to motorcycling.

Hi, everyone. I'm completely new to motorcycles in general, not just TW200s. I'm planning on signing up for the next MSF course available near me.

Lately, I've been trying to think of ways to connect more with the outdoors. A coworker of mine recently took a 4000-mile trip around the US on his adventure-style motorcycle (not a TW) and it looked like an experience I couldn't replicate by just driving a car. It really inspired me to do something similar. I've been on a few dirt bikes in my life and, while I know it isn't quite the same, it was a lot of fun when I did it.

I've been doing some research for a while on a good first motorcycle to purchase and the TW200 has really drawn me in with its unique style and small, cult-like following. I like that the bike seems to have a lot of personality. Also, I'm kind of a small guy at 5'7", 150lbs, so this bike seems like it would fit me well.

I've read elsewhere that a new sprocket would allow a TW200 to comfortably travel at highway speeds. Is this true? I need some experience first, but my eventual goal would be to take a 1000+ mile sightseeing trip around the country. Essentially, I'm trying to see if this bike would do well on such a trip.

Anyway, it looks to be a nice little community you all have here!
    r80rt and williamemack like this.

welcome lemon,

you've come to the right place here. the Tdub will do highway speeds, but that's not it's real sweet spot. there are numerous threads regarding different sprockets and the pluses/minuses from them, you may want to read them and help you decide.

that said, there are also numerous threads of long distance trips, and plenty of smiles per mile. the Tdub isn't a speedy cruiser, but it's a damn good bike that will get you more places than almost anything else will.

ride on.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

rbm
    Hello and welcome!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

reliability? check
    Comfort? check
    fun? check
    cool? check
    easy to work on? check
    parts available? check
    good off road? check
    good on road? check
    good mpg? check
    cheep parts? check
    good build quality? check

Welcome mate, I also recently joined the forum and the feedback and help you can get on here is good given there are not masses of people.
    Enjoy
    View my build/off road riding here with lots of pics and vids Hidden Content

Uk TW/ Suzuki LTZ250 off road rider only

Flat out or back out.

Greetings! TW's are great bikes - many MSF courses use them as trainers. (Mine didn't )

Can you travel on a TW? Yep. Lots have done huge trips on them. You just have to know if you can live with the limitations.

If you want to get somewhere in a hurry, the TW isn't the bike to do it. If you want to stick to back roads and low speed highways and take a leisurely scenic route it might be the bike for you.

Mine will do highway speeds (55-65 mph) but it's giving every ounce of power to do so, and has nothing left in reserve. Here in CO hills and headwinds can significantly affect that, dropping top speed in accordance with the grade of the hill or the direction and intensity of the wind. I have not changed sprockets on mine as it would likey be detrimental to the type of riding I do, at some point I might try a larger sprocket though. Seeing as you're in FL hills/mountain passes might not be an issue, but wind is still a possibility. Personally I feel uncomfortable when riding at WFO (wide full open throttle) at 60mph into a light headwind with traffic whizzing past me doing 70-75 or more (in a 65 mph zone). Some are comfortable with that - I'm not. So I keep to highways that have a posted limit of 55 whenever possible. Even in 55mph zones traffic sometimes (read most of the time) exceeds the posted limits and my TW is giving everything it has to keep up. Of course, I experience some power loss due to altitude. 45-55mph is where my TW is happiest. I can do 70 on a windless day on an open stretch and have seen 75 (indicated) downhill with a good backwind. I can live with that

I love my TW because it can take me anywhere - it just doesn't do it at high speed. If I need to get somewhere fast (relatively ) I'll take my KLR.
    Dubzha likes this.

Junior Member Lemon Meringue Pie's Avatar
    Thanks for the advice, HappyHiker. That is definitely something to think about and really the only reason I'm not 100% sure about the bike yet. If only it were a 250 with a 6th gear!
    williamemack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon Meringue Pie View Post
    Hi, everyone. I'm completely new to motorcycles in general, not just TW200s. I'm planning on signing up for the next MSF course available near me.

Lately, I've been trying to think of ways to connect more with the outdoors. A coworker of mine recently took a 4000-mile trip around the US on his adventure-style motorcycle (not a TW) and it looked like an experience I couldn't replicate by just driving a car. It really inspired me to do something similar.

I'm kind of a small guy at 5'7", 150lbs, so this bike seems like it would fit me well.

I've read elsewhere that a new sprocket would allow a TW200 to comfortably travel at highway speeds. Is this true? I need some experience first, but my eventual goal would be to take a 1000+ mile sightseeing trip around the country. Essentially, I'm trying to see if this bike would do well on such a trip.

Anyway, it looks to be a nice little community you all have here!
    1. Great idea on taking the MSF course, you will learn alot and understand how to handle typical type emergency handling. Will you take your own bike or do they provide one for you? It'd be best to take your own personal bike because even the same make/year was assembled differently with regards to power and fork setup.

If you're wanting an experience, bragging rights or whatever; a TW is going to be a good choice. Why? Because of its speed limitations. You could go the route of 55mph max highways OR you can one-up his adventure by making the trip on almost complete dirt. It'll do highway but isn't very fun. Also, mine drinks about 4oz oil for every 2hrs of continuous 55+mph. You can usually figure out which roads are dirt by visiting the State or County highway dept. You're going to see things you normally wouldn't in a car or on any other type of bike.

Because you can. Sure, guys have ridden HUGE bmw's all over the place. They're best on graded roads at worst. They're also massively heavy, complex and time consuming to work on... With only being 5'7" and 150, they're probably too much in an unplanned dismount. The part of "you can" involves tight trails and getting places that would take forever by foot or be near impossible/impossible/unpleasant on a larger "Adventure" bike. Part of "Adventure" to me is going AND seeing places others usually don't. Adventure to you may be covering as much ground as possible in which case there are other bikes better suited.

Safety should be factored in here too. Can you bump start a fuel injected bike when the battery has failed? You can add a kicker to a TW. Imagine being miles from anyone and being forced to walk or given a simple engine, the ability to field repair it. I don't like forced walking. Bring tools/parts with you. Which bike could you lift off of a pinned leg alone? 300lbs? 350+lbs? 450+? TW's light weight is good here.

IF you plan on more highway (65+mph) with some offroad, you could go the route of a dual sprocket. One for hwy, one for dirt. Dualsport/Adventure motorcycles are compromises by nature, whichever suits your fancy (dirt/road bias) will guide you which end of the spectrum bike you should get.
    Go boldly where others dare not follow.

MSF course is a great idea.

Respect the beast. Even a 200cc bike can kill ya. The TW is the ideal bike to start out on. Ive noticed improvements in my sport riding on the Hayabusa and I can definitely attribute those improvements to off road practice on the TW.

The used TW that I am riding is costing me .09 cents per mile too. You just cant beat that.

-THE MENACE
    Dubzha likes this.

I dropped my rear sprocket to 45 instead of dropping my front sprocket a couple of teeth. Ordering that front sprocket will drop your top end cruise. I weigh in close to 270 with gear on. Low gear still has the power to take me anywhere I have wanted to go and it will still hit 60 with out the engine vibration. In a wind I drop into 4th as with grades, that is about the same gearing as a stock unit in fifth. As I am on pavement a lot with it I find this the best for me. I left my wife's stock. I forgot how low first is and it seems missing high gear.

A great bike to hit the trails, buzz around town, and taking in the scenery cruising down country roads.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ7_TW View Post
    1. Great idea on taking the MSF course, you will learn alot and understand how to handle typical type emergency handling. Will you take your own bike or do they provide one for you? It'd be best to take your own personal bike because even the same make/year was assembled differently with regards to power and fork setup.
    i always say use the MSF bikes (not yours)...they are typically 125cc or 250cc motorcycles like if you drop their bike it's no big deal...if you drop yours you will be mad...plus it's always fun to ride and beat on other bikes ...as far as the long road trip goes i think it really depends on the route you plan to take...i think it would be fun on lower speed roads or offroad but on higher speed highways i think that would suck on a TW...speed limit here is 65 and everyone does 80...i don't go on the highway with the TW cause it's not fast enough to get you out of trouble if needed

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links