TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Got my motorcycle endorsement today...

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  elime 
#1 · (Edited)
Ever have one of those days? Well today was my turn...

Got to the DMV with my bike on the trailer as required this AM. Went in and took a number.... OK my turn. I present my learner's permit, driver's license and insurance card... oops, the insurance card doesn't show my bike... no problem I say - I have it here on my phone - they watch as I pull it up. "We can't take that"... dammit. OK, crap, I'm thinking I have to drive 40 minutes back home - but wait! The land bank where I do business is in town - OK, so I drive there. They've moved... I look the new address up on the GPS - nope. Call em - OK they're on the other side of town - go there. They fix me up - I email the card to them and they print it. GTG

Get back to the DMV - 11:15 - take a number... OK I'm up - show them the card - "can we take dis?" the gal helping me asks a coworker... "hmm not sure" - well OK. They can do... but wait! I can't do the "roll test" right now - they don't do it between 11:00 and 1:00. :mad: OK "must not be my day" I say and "I guess I'll go get some lunch..." so I do. Chinese buffet - ate too much - still only 12:15 - so I go to the outdoor shop near the DMV and browse for a while and manage not to buy a gun - OK enough time - go to the DMV.

The gal that was helping me earlier is standing in the back lot where I park. "Go ahead and take if off the trailer" she says... OK, so I do. She walks up and says "you have the inspection sticker?" Oh yes, right here in my wallet - and I show her. OK then "we need to do the inspection now", so I step back and look at her. She says "you have to be on it" - OK, so I mount the bike - and she tells me to honk the horn, turn signals, etc. = OK that's done. "Drive down the street and come back, if you make it back, you pass" - lol I'm thinking "you're kidding" - but I do it and come back.

She says "go on in I told them you passed" .... I go in, take a number.... my turn! OK - give them the stuff again and they ask me if I brought the bike on a trailer... "yes" I say. "Go take it off" - I say "What?" - they didn't know that I just took the "roll test" - so I tell them - the other lady (not present) gave me the test and I passed. They say "OK" and start doing the processing. The lady that did the test comes in and I say "that's her officer - that's the lady that tested me" - they chuckle. Then, I'm sitting there waiting and the lady doing the work says "did the motorcycle go up?" to her coworker.... "what?" -they fool around with the computer for several minutes and they get it figured out - $16, not $26 OK I pay.

Then I get my mug shot "hope you're camera is strong" I say - they chuckle, and I go sit and wait for the new license to come out - and it does! Picture looks like hell.

Easy as pie! Only 3 hours :lol:

See less See more
#3 ·
That sounds about right for a California license. A few years ago, I had a lady T-bone me in the side of the lowbed with just over 100000 pounds on it. Totally her fault, but because an accident showed up on my license, I had to retest the written examination for my renewal on my own license. Now follow this for tests: regular driving, commercial, air brake, manual transmission, doubles and triples, liquid and bulk, passenger bus, and motorcycle. all of those are separate tests. Total of 255 questions, just because that woman ran into the side of my truck. By the way, her car lost big time.
Mel

#4 ·
:lol:

Well, the first two times there they were grumpy really. Was only on the third trip, and I wasn't pissed, and I made a few funny comments that they warmed up... a little.

But they are all about "our way or the highway" fo sho.

#5 ·
"Drive down the street and come back, if you make it back, you pass"
That was like my first test -- it was right after Calif. declared you needed a special license to ride a motorcycle. Prior to this all you need was to be 15 1/2 years old and have a learners permit.

A big congrats on passing! Nothing can stop you now.

#6 ·
i avoid the dmv like the plague...had to go there for the permit test...then i took the beginner msf class to get my license (gets mailed to you) so i didn't have to go back...then every time i buy a bike i have the insurance company go to the dmv for me so i don't have to wait...here's a tip when going to the dmv (not sure if this is national thing or not but) if your dmv has long lines go there right before they close (like 5 or 10 minutes)...they can't kick you out, they have to serve you and they will just lock the doors when it closes and finish up whoever is left inside and they are in a rush so they get your stuff done quick so they can go home

#7 ·
here's a tip when going to the dmv (not sure if this is national thing or not but) if your dmv has long lines go there right before they close (like 5 or 10 minutes)...they can't kick you out, they have to serve you and they will just lock the doors when it closes and finish up whoever is left inside and they are in a rush so they get your stuff done quick so they can go home
That won't work out here. They stop giving numbers out around 3:30 or 4:00, depending upon the size of the backup. That way they can leave at 5:00. Customer service at its finest!

#8 ·
Same back home, the Chicagoland DMVs will straight up kick you out. I saw them lock out a family that stepped out for a second and left their drivers license with the DMV people at the counter. They did not let them back in.

OSOK, tell me more about this going to an outdoors store and not buying a gun...if I knew how to do that I'd have a lot more $$$ in the bank!!! :D

-THE MENACE

#10 ·
Well, I'm presently selling some of my collection off... so it makes it a little easier not to get any new ones... :)

#11 ·
Jersey used to have dmv like that. then they re-did it and it got a bit better. I haven't had to do a bike test in a long time. whenever I move and get a new license, I just say I need MC endorsement too. Think the last road test I took was in MI about 1975.
that doesn't seem right for cali, having to do all the other tests when the accident was on a CDL...but then that's cali....:eek:

#12 ·
I've always thought I'd like to be on the hiring committee for the DMV just to see what they're looking for in people. They all seem to be the same!

As for the insurance card, I'm glad Arkansas will allow you to present it on your phone for proof. That makes things a lot more convenient

#13 ·
Mississippi is pretty much stuck in the 80's lol. But, it has it's advantages... fees are pretty low.

#15 ·
I'm so looking forward to my endorsement. Congrats to you! I think the MSF course is done for the winter, that I want to take. If I could get the endorsement, for night riding it would be helpful for commuting and some times I need to ride from work to after-work activities, right now I have to leave the bike at home if I have anything after work because it will be dark. I wonder if the instructors would still be willing to do a test for me even though it is getting off-season (for some).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.