Posting big pics
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By B-dub

Thread: Posting big pics

Posting big pics

I love a thread with pictures, and the bigger the better. So, when we rolled over to the new forum I was saddened to see that we were limited to small pics. I soon discovered, however, that while we can't post pics as big as on the old forum we are certainly not limited to small pictures. I just wasn't taking advantage of the options available to us.

I thought I would post a little tutorial for those who may be unaware of the options available in posting pics on this forum. There are two basic ways to approach posting pics. First, the default is to load images directly from your computer to the TW200forum servers. The second way is to use a Photo hosting site like Picasa or Photobucket.

While a little more convenient, posting pics to the forum servers limits the size of the images, I assume to preserve space on the servers and/or reduce the load time. To do it this way you simply click on the image button at the top of the message window. This brings up a window that has 2 tabs at the top, 1 that says from computer, another that says from URL. Normally the from computer tab is already selected, and you can easily select and upload the image. This is what you get when you do it that way.

IMG_3115.JPG

The second way to upload pictures to the forum is to use a photo hosting service like Picasa or Photobucket. I use Picasa, and find it works well for me, and it's free. After uploading your pictures to the photo hosting site you need to access the pics you uploaded. With Picasa you just open the upload manager and click on the button that says view online. This brings up a page with thumbnails of the pics you uploaded. To post a pic you click on the thumbnail of the picture you want to post to get the full size version, then right click, or control click the picture to copy the web address of the picture. Next, click on the image button at the top of the message window. You will get the same window as described earlier, but this time you need to click on the tab at the top of the window that says from URL. Paste the web address (URL) of the picture into the space provided. Now, if you want big pics the next step is important. You have to uncheck the little box that says Retrieve remote file and reference locally. When you do that, this is what you get.

If you don't uncheck the box, this is what you get:

IMG_1244.JPG

A common mistake that is easy to make is to get the web address, or URL for the thumbnail instead of the full size version of the picture. If you do that, this is what you get:

I know there are other ways of posting pictures, but this is what I do, and it works well for me. Hopefully this info will be of use to someone.

Regardless of the size of pics you choose to post, pics are always appreciated.

Last edited by B-dub; 11-22-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

If you click on the middle size picture it opens in it's own page and then click on that and it is bigger than your big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by arrowsmith View Post
    If you click on the middle size picture it opens in it's own page and then click on that and it is bigger than your big picture.
    You're right. Personally, I prefer viewing the pictures as I read through the thread rather than opening a new window to view them, but there are definitely advantages in both ways of doing it. Thanks for sharing your insight.
    Last edited by B-dub; 11-21-2013 at 10:58 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If any of you use Google Chrome, you can get the Hover Zoom extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...llmednbl?hl=en and then when you roll the mouse over the clickable pictures, it shows the full version. Example, if I roll over the middle pic, it shows me the big version.
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    2015 WR250R - Bored, stroked
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am
    Stolen - 2007 Trailblazer SS
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    1977 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 710M

2 Timothy 1:7

I always see the big picture
    1987 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear Rack, Tinman Tim's Side Racks [THANKS!], Action Packer Rear Trunk, Texsport waterproof luggage, 20w LED Spot Beam headlight, LED Bulbs for Rear Brake Light and Dash/Speedo, 12v marine auxiliary port, Coleman Seat Pad, Alloy Boltz kit.

"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." -A. Lincoln

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by kdick91 View Post
    If any of you use Google Chrome, you can get the Hover Zoom extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...llmednbl?hl=en and then when you roll the mouse over the clickable pictures, it shows the full version. Example, if I roll over the middle pic, it shows me the big version.

I like that. Works well. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by kdick91 View Post
    That's cool. Something I didn't know about, so thanks for sharing. Maybe I just need to start viewing this forum in Chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by MCC1776 View Post
    I always see the big picture
    That's good! Thanks for your recent ride report. The volume and quality of the pictures plus the historic ties made it very enjoyable.

Sponosred Links