setting up for winter rideing
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: setting up for winter rideing

setting up for winter riding

Well this is a first for me cause I have not done much long distance winter riding in my life, so it's been a learning experience to set me and my bike up, so far I have built shields on the front of my tw to deflect some of the wind and bought some new gloves and overalls...yea I still froze, so I ordered some grip warmers a baklava or whatever is called or spelled to keep my chin from freezing and a new helmet that I can shut the vents off. I think I will get some raingear also to help with the wind and see how that works. I was out yesterday and rode about 30 miles it was 35 degrees and froze my hands and chin,haven't got my stuff yet. I like riding my tw to much to let it sit all winter so I will keep trying to stay warm on the longer rides (thinking about spring is't helping) so far with my current stuff I can ride about 40 miles before it gets really uncomfortable below 40 degrees so hopefully my new stuff will get me further.20131130_224151.jpg the shields are all home made I had a shorter one before it wasn't quite high enough so this one is about 4 in higher and keeps most of the wind off my chin but not all. So if anybody has any good ideas let me know.
    Last edited by 66roadkill66; 12-03-2013 at 08:23 AM.
    87tw,08 klr650,00dr200,76tl250,73cl175 scrambler,75tl250,76tl125,1960 cushman trailster,

66, You are on the right track and are thinking about all of the right things. Using multiple layers of gloves helps compared to one big thick pair. I use lobster mittens, (fingers are in two pairs of two instead of one big clumsy mitten. Gaiters from your cross country ski kit sure help keep that wind from roaring up toward the crotch. I usually don't need a balaclava, but do use a chin scarf to seal that junction between my helmet and my jacket. Your handguards look great but hands will always be the coldest and most critical weakness (think clumsy equals unsafe). I believe the atv wind deflectors in front of your homemade ones (or my Moose Racing guards) help even more, but they do make mittens that fit on your bars and you stick your hands into them. I'll try to post the addon atv winter guards.

Here they are from the back. They did not interfere with controls and stayed in place, but did deflect even more wind from the hands.

I also find that carrying a totally different set of gloves helps because I can change from one setup to the others and get the benefit of added circulation in different places.
    Ride safely and wave as you go by. Oh by the way, there is one other trick we practice in New Mexico - wait until 10:00 or so when the temp has risen 20 or so degrees from what it was at 0800. Cheers, Tom
    66roadkill66 likes this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

best thing you can do is stop the cold air from infiltrating to your skin. So as Peruano said, your on the right track. Have you thought about heated grips? I put them on my bike and will never go without them again. TIM
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

heated grips are on the way, Thanx peruano never thought of the lobster gloves before, your advice is appreciated..steve.
    87tw,08 klr650,00dr200,76tl250,73cl175 scrambler,75tl250,76tl125,1960 cushman trailster,

Quote Originally Posted by 66roadkill66 View Post
    I like rideing my tw to much to let it sit all winter ......
    The ATV muffs are great, but the best piece of winter riding gear I ever bought was a heated vest from Tourmaster: Tour Master Synergy 2.0 Heated Vest Liner With Collar - Motorcycle Superstore

Kinda pricey, but boy does keeping your core nice and toasty help with feet and hands. I usually never have to turn it up past one. You can either wire it direct to the battery (15 amp fuse included) or add a 12V receptacle which can be used for other stuff the rest of the year. The later TW's alternator will run a vest at least on #2 setting but not much more, so I chose this over heated gloves, which also have a bad habit of failing after not real long. My vest is fine after three years.

You DO have to remember that you are attached to the bike by a wire and unplug....ripping the controller off the bike doesn't do it much good!

I'll ride down to about 35 for several hours with a vest like this. And you are right, having a windproof outer layer makes a HUGE difference.
    66roadkill66 likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

hmmm don't think I can run a heated vest and grips on my 87, my core so far stays ok warm but my hands get real cold. I may run a aux battery so may need to see how long the grips alone will run on a charge, if they run 4-6 hrs that should work for my application and then not have to tax my 87s charging system, and if that works could run a heated vest to.

My wife bought me a pair of Rukka winter gloves- they are pricey but they work great. They are somewhat like ski gloves with armor.
    I use a mesh jacket for the armor and wear a parka over it. The mesh jacket is zipped to a pair of over pants with a liner.
    I'm sweating when temps are in the 20's!
    Oh and a bavaclavavavala or whatever it is.
    I don't ride all winter just occasionally to satisfy the urge and to keep the bikes moving.
    littletommy and 66roadkill66 like this.
    -Bill

Kawi ZRX1200
    Yamaha TW Two Hundirt

Hippohands, heated grips, firstgear thermal suit, or Kilimanjaro and pants, mechanix gloves works for me even at 27" of snow and -17deg. F

and I use a double shield snowmobile helmit
    littletommy and fasteer like this.
    2015 CSC RX3, TW200 2013 (for sale), 2011 Ural Gobi, 1995 GL1500SE (for sale)

Ive used heated grips on several bikes, no longer bother.
    Hippo Hands and a heated vest will keep your hands warm.

I just installed a pair of symtec heated grips. Also running tusk deflex handguards and tusk $15 atv mitts. All i can say is i cant believe ive rode all thses years and froze my hands countless times. The first ride after putting on the grips it was 27 outside and i rode all day on low setting with vented leather road bike gloves on. I wouldnt buy bulky gloves. The heat from the grips wont get to your hands as well with thick gloves on. The scooter is getting heated grips next. The balkava makes a huge difference. I use raingear or something windproof the keep the cold air off of me. Im thinking a pair of the heated boot insoles may be really nice.
    66roadkill66 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links