TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Am I too darned tall??

9K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  indika666 
#1 ·
Alright fellas, help me get over it once and for all. I'm sick of people telling me I'm too big for my bike! As I've stated before, I've owned 1 BMW GSA and two KLRs and I swear I'm just as comfortable touring on my TW as the taller steeds. (Slow roads of course) However, I'm 6'5'ish and 250lbs and my friends keep saying "get a taller bike." Do I look like a circus freak on this thing? I've never had more fun on a bike...ever. I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something here. Are the majority of TW riders under 6ft?? I appreciate your input. Cheers!
Patrick

#2 ·
mr bracket is about your size and loves his too.... i think he looks like a giraffe on a clown car, but who cares if he enjoys it! ;)

#3 ·
You are going to get those comments no matter what. The TW is a target for that sort of thing. Just ride the bike and smile a lot. I get to ride all kinds of bikes and I love my TW.

Reactions: r80rt
#5 ·
If you love your bike and it makes you feel good to ride it, who cares? You ride for yourself, not to impress someone. You should see me on mine. Truly a elephant on a tricycle. I'm no little tommy. ;)

#6 ·
Thank you for all the great perspectives. Sometimes it's hard not to get caught up with appearances. Truthfully I look too big for just about everything, including full size baggers. Does anyone know if the seat to peg distance is similar to larger bikes? It has to be 'cause I think my TW is comfortable.

#7 ·
I'm 6'3" and 250lbs and my friends laugh about me on the TW. I have a buddy that is 5'6" and rides a KTM525. I think he looks like a fly on a bull. You should see him at stoplights bouncing on one foot with the seat under his other knee. Now that is funny. I got the TW after having a blast on my CT-70 so it is a move up for me. I love it and will keep it because it is fun and manageable in the woods. Other bike is a Triumph 900 that I also look big on.

#8 ·
There are always those people (haters) that can't let people be content/happy without putting their misinformed/ignorant opinions out there. Some people say the TW is too slow, heavy (what!?), small, etc., A member here has the signature "I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you"; this applies to the TW very well. If it makes you happy and won't land you in jail, who cares? Do you have something to prove to anyone else? I'm pretty secure in my "manhood" and those who conform to what others think are either too afraid to go against the grain or are compensating for something. You like (or love) your TW for whatever reason. If love your significant other (man/woman), someone can always point out a physical flaw or two but to us that love them; they're just right.

#9 ·
The small/lightness/comfort of the TW is the whole appeal. I love my other bike too but the TW is a breath of fresh air when I ride it.
When I first bought it I showed it to my buddy who was riding a GS then, I let him take it out for a ride. Well this sent him into a some kind of frenzy. Because he is kinda short he wanted something more comfy. Within two weeks he traded the GS for an RT and probably took a bath on the deal. Now he is still itching for a dual sport but he is hung up on horsepower and electronic gadgets. Oh well. I tried.

#12 ·
Mr Bracket is the tallest/biggest guy I've seen riding a Tw. During our first Norcal ride I swear I thought Bigfoot was chasing me thru the forest. He sure had a huge smile so I know he loves his TW. Really the only thing a tall rider needs extra on it is handlebar risers....

#15 ·
6'2" and 170lbs. I'm lanky and goofy looking inherently. On a TW, it's even weirder. Of all the things I've been made fun of, I've never had as much fun being made fun of for looking goofy. That and it's hard to be put down when your SO likes riding with you :p

#17 ·
You guys are awesome! This forum is one of my favorite things.

On an interesting note, I did a little research at the local motorcycle store today....had to scratch an itch. Measured the distance from seat (lowest point) to pegs on three bikes.
2013 KLR = 22"
2013 BMW F800GS = 20"
1995 TW200 (mine with Coleman seat pad) = 21"

TW is more comfy (for my body type) than the KLR! My knees didn't fit the tank cut outs.

Thanks again for the comments!

#19 ·
I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something here.
Nope. The only valid reason you would not want to ride your TW is if it made you REALLY uncomfortable after a few hours. I'm only 6 ft. even with a 33" inseam, but I put 2" Rox Pivoting Risers on after just a few months and it made a big difference, both sitting and standing. With a gel seat insert I'm good for 5 hours +.

Having more fun is the best revenge.....:p

#21 ·
Knew a guy 25ish years ago (6'6" 280-300 lbs---power lifter type) rode a 70's era Harley sportster.You can imagine this,I know you can. He didn't give a rats behind who thought what,yea he could have bought a bigger bike,but, he LOVED his sporty.....get it. Have fun on the TW,forget those trolls.

#22 ·
5'-17", 285lbs, 2" ROX risers and a Coleman ATV pad on a Seat Concepts full upgrade. TW feels like a good old boot beneath me.
Judge me at your own risk 'cause I may have to wear out your ears splainen' the concept that it's none o' your 'binnis that I ride a purty lil' donkey that don't eat much, don't pull up lame and don't piss in my garage.
My wife says I don't lok like a monkey F'n a football when I'm on the Dub, but she's jaded...[:{)
RIDE WITH PRIDE
S-

#23 ·
I may have to wear out your ears splainen' the concept that it's none o' your 'binnis that I ride a purty lil' donkey that don't eat much, don't pull up lame and don't piss in my garage.
My wife says I don't lok like a monkey F'n a football when I'm on the Dub, but she's jaded...[:{)
RIDE WITH PRIDE
S-
Well said! Hahahahaha!

#24 ·
I agree with everyone. The great thing about our TDubs is if you want you can customize it to fit you (hybrid forks/blaster shock etc.) If you pulled up on 100 different bikes at a bar/restaurant etc. The TDub would stir up the most questions. Plus it's the funnest unless you want to do 90mph or jump doubles in which most of us are too old or slow these days to do.

I am 6'3 and ride it like a shetland pony vs. having a Mustang. I am okay sitting 99% of the time...and heck yeah, I love it. Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycling Motocross

Reactions: r80rt and Mel
#26 ·
Hi all - first post here, and no better place for it. I took my MSF class this past weekend and was assigned a TW200. Being 6'6" and all of 300 lbs, I'm sure I looked funny, but by sitting on the back seat (okay, maybe not quite, but nearly!), I made it work, and passed my class! I certainly can see the appeal of this bike. With my size, I'd sure love to find something just a tad bigger to fit my frame better. Otherwise, I love the idea of a dual sport go anywhere knobby tire bike. Sigh - looks like a KLR is in my future...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.