new battery
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new battery

new battery

I just bought a new battery, it is a AGM battery and a little smaller than stock in size but more CCA. it is 12V-6ah-180cca. bought from PowerSportBatteries.com batery#WPZ7S price 43.90 shipping 7.95 totle 51.85 ordered on 12-2-2013 received 12-6-2013 . temp. is 24* outside and tw started faster then with stock battery. will let you know in time how it is working out.

Who makes this battery?. Is it from Japan , China or ?. Just curious. I had a China made battery in the TW when I bought it a couple of yeears ago.....leaked a bit of fluid up through the cap(s).....hadn't even taken it off road at that point?.

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH
    I have an AGM in my BMW R65 that has been there and cranking fine for over 8 years! YRMV

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jpuck View Post
    will let you know in time how it is working out.
    Please do. Highly interested.
    1987 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear Rack, Tinman Tim's Side Racks [THANKS!], Action Packer Rear Trunk, Texsport waterproof luggage, 20w LED Spot Beam headlight, LED Bulbs for Rear Brake Light and Dash/Speedo, 12v marine auxiliary port, Coleman Seat Pad, Alloy Boltz kit.

"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." -A. Lincoln

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    Who makes this battery?. Is it from Japan , China or ?. Just curious. I had a China made battery in the TW when I bought it a couple of yeears ago.....leaked a bit of fluid up through the cap(s).....hadn't even taken it off road at that point?.
    power source batteries distributed by lynn vick products,made in vietnam.

Quote Originally Posted by jpuck View Post
    I just bought a new battery, it is a AGM battery .......
    I put an AGM in first thing on my new bike because the original had been sitting dead on the dealers floor for 6 months and I didn't trust it. He offered to replace with new but I said no, I want an AGM. Got a few bucks off.
    Three years and 6,500 miles later it's still fine. The nice thing is AGM's can sit upside down for quite a while and never leak acid into your battery compartment!
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I put in a Shorai Lithium battery in my TW last summer . My son did most of last summer's riding but it appears to be perfect. Bike is away just now until next summer so all I can observe is the first year was what I expected it to be.
    The Shorai spun the battery very rapidly and it never failed to start - not much else can be asked of a bike batterry

Quote Originally Posted by Polarpilot View Post
    I put in a Shorai Lithium battery in my TW last summer .
    Just as a caution, I put one in my BMW, and although the battery has performed just fine, I did not find that it held a charge in cold weather NEARLY as well as the advertising suggested. The Beemer may well have some parasitic draw, but I needed to put it on the Battery Tender Jr. at least every two weeks. I'm not sure that leaving it on a tender for the whole winter is a good idea, so I just hook it up for a day or two about twice a month. I'll bet if you pull it and keep it at 30 or so it may go the whole winter, but getting it out of the Beemer is such a hassle I won't do it.

Saves a LOT of weight!

BTW, I only have to charge the AGM battery on the TW once a month for a day with the BT Jr., but I doubt if the TW has any parasitic draw as long as the terminals are clean.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 12-08-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

[QUOTE=AGman;92735
    I wonder if the battery doesn't hold a charge or it won't supply it's charge in cold weather?[/QUOTE]

Well, supposedly the Li batteries do a great job of supplying a good jolt when cold, and hold a charge for a long time, but that hasn't been my experience. It seemed to do that when new, I started the bike fine at around 20 F. no problem. However, last winter I let it go flat (see above), like down to 3-4 volts, and the Battery Tender Jr. would not even charge it. I had to apply about 10 amps from an automotive charger to get it back. It's been fine ever since as long as I keep it well charged, but there is a significant likelihood that I damaged it. The directions specifically say not to ever let it get below 11 volts or so. If I let it go for two weeks at about 30 F. I can really tell it's laboring to start the BMW.

So I would think that as long as you are careful to keep a Shorai in a good state of charge, it would perform just fine down to -10 C, especially on a fairly easy to crank bike like the TW. My AGM in the TW is not so particular, besides being half the cost.....I can let it go for at least a month at those temps before giving it a charge.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

its easy enough to take the battery out, so I pull mine in the winter and keep it on the workbench. that way I can put the Battery Tender on every month or so. I do the same with my other small batteries.
    2005 Tdub

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links